PDA

View Full Version : its raining buckets in pattaya

lonelywombat
July 20th, 2008, 18:15
My friend who is about to complete his holiday in Pattaya says he was drowned by the monsoon rains over the last few days

I know he tends to over state the situation but if it is raining in Pattaya is it raining in

Bangkok
Phuket
Koh Samui

Are these the monsoon rains or not?

PS. he claims that Sunee was raided again the last two nights??????

krobbie
July 20th, 2008, 18:29
My guy tells me today that he got sturated on the way home from work in Sukumvit last evening. It started pouring at 9.30 and didn't let up until after midnight. Heavy tropical sheets of the stuff. My guess is that although not long enough in duration to really be called monsoon rains, it sounds like it was pretty damn close to it. I guess monsoonal might be closer.

I hope it lets up a little by next month. All that water makes my artificial limb work like a sponge. Sucks the stuff up and until it reaches my stump. Except for the weight of the damn limb I'm not much bothered.

Last time I got caught in one of Thailand's sudden and saturating downpours, the die ran in my "running" shoes and the blue dye is still on the plastic foot. Oh the trials and tribulations. But lets face it ... I would have a very pronounced limp (about 13 inches) without the extension so ... mustn't grumble.

:bounce:
krobbie

July 20th, 2008, 19:59
"All that water makes my artificial limb work like a sponge. Sucks the stuff up and until it reaches my stump. Except for the weight of the damn limb I'm not much bothered."

no problem for me,,, mine floats... :-)

July 21st, 2008, 00:52
Take note of that Buddhist holiday, khaw pansaa. That's the day when wandering monks stop wandering, and take shelter from the rains for three months.

That was last Friday.

And here comes the rain!

Somewhere around hmm October 20th, we get to oak pansaa day. The monks are free to wander again, and the cool season arrives.

July 21st, 2008, 01:21
The Marathon started this morning at 4.30am with rain and ended with rain. Surprise: New record for Pattaya. They all past my window. Respect. Men and woman all ages. So sorry for the bad weather.

Smiles
July 21st, 2008, 05:05
" ... So sorry for the bad weather ... "
It's not 'bad' weather, it's 'good' weather. Ever wonder why one of those little King's Anthem films before every movie in Thai theatres has a background of pouring rain throughout it's whole 3 minutes? It's because the rain at this time of year is the lifeblood of Thai agriculture, which means it's the lifeblood of the country.

If a few sex tourists in Bangkok or Pattaya get their tootsies wet while trying desperately to get to the next GoGo bar, it's totally unimportant collateral damage.

Cheers ...

dab69
July 21st, 2008, 06:52
I never go during the summer, but enjoy each and every rain on vacation.
The most memorable are the most drenching rains
at night going back to the hotel on the baht bus.
Or just a light drizzle to go walking around in.

July 21st, 2008, 07:21
" ... So sorry for the bad weather ... "
It's not 'bad' weather, it's 'good' weather. Ever wonder why one of those little King's Anthem films before every movie in Thai theatres has a background of pouring rain throughout it's whole 3 minutes? It's because the rain at this time of year is the lifeblood of Thai agriculture, which means it's the lifeblood of the country.

If a few sex tourists in Bangkok or Pattaya get their tootsies wet while trying desperately to get to the next GoGo bar, it's totally unimportant collateral damage.

Cheers ...

Please again? Lifeblood?
http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownew ... 0000006346 (http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.php?IDNEWS=0000006346)

thrillbill
July 21st, 2008, 07:42
Monsoon season is just a time of the year when the direction of the winds have changed; thus, the rain clouds come our way. Most of us call it the "rainy season". It isn't unusual to run into rain at this time of the year and when there is a down pour, it will last an hour then stop...the UNUSUAL thing for most of us who live in Thailand is when there one of those European/North American rainy days when it's cloudy all day and drizzles. --Seems like when we have a couple days without sunshine, everyone gets bent out of shape and many of my Thai friends claim they get sick (either its from the cloudy, rainy days or the AC's in the summer).

July 21st, 2008, 16:23
"Take note of that Buddhist holiday, khaw pansaa. That's the day when wandering monks stop wandering, and take shelter from the rains for three months. That was last Friday. And here comes the rain! Somewhere around hmm October 20th, we get to oak pansaa day. The monks are free to wander again, and the cool season arrives."

Thanks for that; I never realised how religion and the seasons are so inter-twined.

Bob
July 22nd, 2008, 04:41
I never realised how religion and the seasons are so inter-twined.

Heck, yes. Just like when Christ arose from the tomb after three days. When he comes out,
if he sees his shadow, we get 6 more weeks of winter! (I am ducking lightning at the moment...)

July 26th, 2008, 09:29
Could you send some of the rain up to Ubon and Issan...we need it. Not enough rain so far this season for most farmers to plant their rice!!

July 26th, 2008, 10:20
it won't get better until November :cheese:

Better?

The persistent heavy rains in Bangkok since mid-June seem highly unusual but (at least for someone who never has to get stuck in traffic during the late afternoon rush hour) are a blessing from mother nature. I haven't needed my A/C at night for 8 weeks. It is delightfully cool and comfortable right now. The humidity spikes just before rainfall are sometimes uncomfortable, however, overall these rains are highly welcome, they keep tropical Bangkok's temperatures way down. And the breezes are OK with me as well.

July 26th, 2008, 14:09
i think your friend is prone to exaggeration

i have just spent the past 6 days in Pattaya and it was sunny every day except one - that particular day was just cloudy. Every other day was spent sunbathing at Jomtien - it did rain but at night time.

lonelywombat
July 26th, 2008, 14:54
i think your friend is prone to exaggeration

i have just spent the past 6 days in Pattaya and it was sunny every day except one - that particular day was just cloudy. Every other day was spent sunbathing at Jomtien - it did rain but at night time.

You could both be right

His email to me was the morning of the 20th I posted same day. Your post is dated 26th

July 26th, 2008, 15:02
You could both be right. His email to me was the morning of the 20th I posted same day. Your post is dated 26thMore to the point, YardenUK doesn't count rain at night as rain in Pattaya, apparently, confusing "day" with "daytime"