View Full Version : A question about air travel

July 20th, 2008, 01:54
in the event of the planet's oil resources running out. Havent really thought about this, the question has just come into my head: but when the oil runs out how will folks get about?

July 20th, 2008, 02:18
I enjoy para gliding so if i could i would use this to move arround. A bit far to do UK - Thailand in but you never know.

July 20th, 2008, 06:07
Barges as far as the Oriental and rickshaws from there.

July 20th, 2008, 06:57
Sailing ships. Worked before, will work again.

thrillbill
July 20th, 2008, 07:26
...by the time it gets that severe, aliens from outspace will (by then) take pity on our primitiveness (and stupidity) and share their knowledge on an alternative fuel...

July 20th, 2008, 09:04

And what are the barges supposed to run on, pray tell?

July 20th, 2008, 09:07
oil produces not just gasoline but everything from soap to plastics, I'm sure there will be an alternative. But bees who produce honey are apparently in short supply due to some kind of virus killing or interrupting the lives of bees. Apparently, they are not "working" and just leaving their nests and the poor ole Queen Bee is being killed off. If this continues at the rate it does, the whole world will dire, we rely on bees to pollinate the crops, if that doesn't happen then we are in trouble.

catawampuscat
July 20th, 2008, 11:10
Blimps... :cat:

July 20th, 2008, 11:18

What does homintern have to do with it?

Marsilius
July 20th, 2008, 11:19

Barges are traditionally towed by horses or other beasts of burden - hence the term "tow path" for the track running alongside a canal.

July 20th, 2008, 11:53
"Someone" whispered in GB's ear that the solution to it all is just around the corner.

Aunty
July 20th, 2008, 13:23

What does homintern have to do with it?

Well we are discussing jumbos! :cheers:

July 20th, 2008, 14:59
We would still get around, but probably be a hell of a lot thinner!

July 20th, 2008, 16:53

Peddling and oaring volunteer muscle marys will be picked up in Singapore. The SM volunteer crew will provide power whipped up through the canal.

Shuee
July 20th, 2008, 17:13
the new fleets of the airbus a380 have been sponsored to be built already with the insite of that particular airline taking fuel reserves into account, for the predicted future

if that fails then i know that you can run cars from some yeist rich alcohols, & even cooking oil old & recycled. failing that i'm sure automic fusion, where you get 100% efficiency from the reaction, will have been refined by then so they can just change the planes fuel converters - well it sounds easy in theory hahahaha

Michael
July 20th, 2008, 17:44
Virgin have already begun experimenting with bio fuels.
BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7261214.stm)

July 20th, 2008, 18:35
Putting a little extra thought into it overnight, the problem will surely surface way before the oil runs out completely. As supplies start to deplete the price of fuel will become so prohibitive as to make flying economically unsustainable for the average punter. Have we perhaps been living in the golden age of travel? Instead of the human race reaching out to the stars and discovering new worlds, could it be that travel to the other side of this world will revert to become the arduous journey of bygone times?