PDA

View Full Version : kings birthday

thanatorn-old
July 19th, 2008, 00:16
I am probably arriving in LOS on the 5th December (King's birthday). It is a while off I know, but obviously need to confirm flights.

I do not really want to start a holiday on too much of an alcohol free basis, and my question is will the expected ban on alcohol sales just be on that day or do they normally extend it over a couple of days? (The 5th is a friday and the thought of a whole alcohol free weekend is sending my liver into a frenzy)

Thanks

July 19th, 2008, 01:08
Normaly the ban on drink is just for the 1 day. So go out on the 5th and have a great time

dab69
July 19th, 2008, 04:20
doubt if they will close your minibar.
or grab a pint of your favorite elsewhere and add it to your mixer soft drink.
what can they say?

July 19th, 2008, 11:41
Or -- find one of the establishments that serve beer or mixed drinks in a large coffee cup (as some were doing yesterday).

allieb
July 19th, 2008, 12:14
Or Just buy in from the supermarket the day before and spend the day bonking with a money boy.

Uranus
July 19th, 2008, 15:37
cannot live one day without alcohol you have a problem!

Hmmm
July 19th, 2008, 19:10
Surely the silly lese majeste laws must include a long jail sentence for farang who plan their holidays based on whether or not they can get pissed on the King's birthday.

July 19th, 2008, 20:48
don't worry - if you know anything about bangkok - you should know that many places still are open and serving drinks... just just use coffee cups..... instead.

July 20th, 2008, 18:50
IIRC, a few years ago the King proclaimed that alcohol sales should no longer be prohibited on royal birthdays?

TrongpaiExpat
July 20th, 2008, 21:51
IIRC, a few years ago the King proclaimed that alcohol sales should no longer be prohibited on royal birthdays?

Yes, last year, after some politician made a lot of fanfare about enforcing the closing of entertainment venues and no drinking for the Kings birthday. The King came out and said something to the effect of don't close entertainment places on my account.

Not sure if it ever came out in an official Royal Proclamation (it's OK to drink) but apparently there never was a Royal Proclamation on the prohibition of drinking on his birthday.

bkkguy
July 21st, 2008, 02:30

he has also over the years suggested that the government should stop corruption, that people should not be prosecuted for lesse majeste, that there should not be loud music in entertainment places, that military dictatorships are better than democratically elected governments, ....

thai people soon learn to ignore things that are not convenient to hear, even from he who must be obeyed!

bkkguy

cottmann
July 21st, 2008, 14:47
...... silly lese majeste laws ......

Almost as silly as laws about insulting a scrap of cloth.

July 21st, 2008, 15:05
Change your arrival dates orbring some duty free.

Hmmm
July 21st, 2008, 18:53
he has also over the years suggested that the government should stop corruption, that people should not be prosecuted for lesse majeste, that there should not be loud music in entertainment places, that military dictatorships are better than democratically elected governments, ....

thai people soon learn to ignore things that are not convenient to hear, even from he who must be obeyed!

.. which of course tells us rather more than yellow shirts and obsequiousness about what middle and upper class Thai think of HMK.