PDA

View Full Version : Pan Pacific Bangkok

July 9th, 2008, 21:58
I'm looking at a particularly good rate for this hotel from my usual provider. Anyone know of any current downside?

Sen Yai
July 10th, 2008, 00:21
Anyone know of any current downside?

Yes. But why don't you tell us who your usual provider is and the rate he is offering first and then maybe I'll tell :albino:

July 10th, 2008, 01:25
Expedia

┬г61 / 48

business days /weekend days

July 10th, 2008, 04:09
Expedia, ┬г61 / 48 ,business days /weekend daysAnd what is their "boys in room" policy for joiners?

cottmann
July 10th, 2008, 06:43
I'm looking at a particularly good rate for this hotel from my usual provider. Anyone know of any current downside?

It's very popular with visiting Japanese, who comprise much of the clientele, because it is so close to the Japanese-only bars, etc., in Patpong.

July 10th, 2008, 10:28
A friend of mine stayed there just this past week and talked of no "downside." He did rave about the included breakfast buffet, though. (He's quite the food-obsessed kinda guy.) He also commented about the location being so convenient to Soi Twilight (or whatever it's called these days).

painai2
July 10th, 2008, 11:41
I'd say it's convenient alright. Right out front on Rama IV is where all the freelancers hang out to cruise at night.

July 10th, 2008, 15:43
It's very popular with visiting Japanese, who comprise much of the clientele, because it is so close to the Japanese-only bars, etc., in Patpong.

Not a downside. I'm Nippophilitic and have some of my publications translated into Japanese. Homi raises a point. Anyone know if I can't drag the "dregs of DJ station" ;} (sorry boyz) through the lobby at 1 AM?

July 11th, 2008, 16:31
Anyone know of any current downside?

Yes. But why don't you tell us who your usual provider is and the rate he is offering first and then maybe I'll tell :albino:

So do you know the downside apart from dangerous freelancers outside; a noisy road; farther than it seems from DJ; Kamikaze denizens of Thaniya Karaoke joints?

Do you know if there is actually a joiners fee?

Or were you just whinging (justifiably) at my unnecessary secrecy.

I'm beginning to think that it isn't such a great deal but that prices are rising at the lower end, dipping slightly in the middle and firm for the likes of the Sukhothai and Oriental.

I've lang syne respected your style and opinions BTW.

thrillbill
July 12th, 2008, 22:58
I stayed at the Pan Pacific Hotel last October over a weekend when an old friend of mine ( I hadn't seen for 9 years) was staying there for a three day business engagement. The price I paid was $160 and that was the "weekend special". It was a great room with all the comforts of a 5 star hotel but I felt that I didn't get my moneys worth out of it since I was mostly playing tour guide those couple days. It has a nice pool...so, so fitness center...and yes, the breakfast buffet was included. It IS very quiet since the hotel is on the ???? 15+ floor- not on the ground floor. Yes, at night it is dark out front, but not a problem. Generally when I do my BKK weekends, I stay at a 3 star hotel in the Silom area- so I would have info on that.

The new Sofitel has opened up in Silom (near the old Ramada, in front of the Rose Hotel) they may have a good price since they just opened recently....

Sen Yai
July 13th, 2008, 21:26
were you just whinging (justifiably) at my unnecessary secrecy.

Yeah, it was just whinge really. I have stayed at the Pan-Pac although several years ago now. The rate you have does seem very good. I also paid about US$100, but that was more than 50 quid then.

Like most 5* hotels in LoS, it is not gay un-friendly and as long as you are discreet, the management won't make a problem - or charge a joiners fee. As noted by others it is very popular with Japanese businessmen, so they are used to guests returning with local companions for the night. When I was there, there were many PLUs by the pool and at breakfast.

If you choose your 'DJ dreg' well, you should be able to pass thro' reception without question. OTOH, BFOCs with manga-haired teen-boys may be subject to more scrutiny, I expect.

Respek is mutual.

July 14th, 2008, 03:57
Like most 5* hotels in LoS, it is not gay un-friendly and as long as you are discreet, the management won't make a problem - or charge a joiners fee. Most 5-star hotels in Thailand don't charge a joiner's fee?

thrillbill
July 14th, 2008, 04:12
In some 5 star hotels, one can play "cat and mouse" and not be charged a joiner's fee. You have to know where the elevators are located from the main desk. Sometimes it is easier to bring your guest with you to the room without paying a joiner's fee in a big hotel since the lobby area is so large and the desk is (maybe) located from the elevator; thus, more difficult to be stopped. Also, it depends what your "date" looks like. These smaller 3 star hotels that have only 40 -100 rooms usually don't have a large lobby and you have to pass right by the check-in desk.

July 14th, 2008, 04:20
In some 5 star hotels, one can play "cat and mouse" and not be charged a joiner's fee.[u] I suppose if one enjoys skulking around hotel lobbies working out one's strategy for not being obvious at 1 am with a boy on your arm this is a possibility. What else is there to fill in one's day? However I was more interested in Sen Yai's assertion that 5-star hotels don't charge a joiner's fee, rather than how to avoid it. And was this his personal experience at the Pan Pacific or is he merely making inferences from a review of the guests who turned up to breakfast?

July 14th, 2008, 06:10
Never mind the price of beer or the off fees- these are usually reasonable.

What really annoys me is the concept of joiner fees.

You pay for a double room, then just because your partner is not present at the same time you book in, they charge +500bht, when you have already paid for a 2 person room.

I figure we should all try to avoid this on principle.

lonelywombat
July 14th, 2008, 08:49
In some 5 star hotels, one can play "cat and mouse" and not be charged a joiner's fee. You have to know where the elevators are located from the main desk. Sometimes it is easier to bring your guest with you to the room without paying a joiner's fee in a big hotel since the lobby area is so large and the desk is (maybe) located from the elevator; thus, more difficult to be stopped. Also, it depends what your "date" looks like. These smaller 3 star hotels that have only 40 -100 rooms usually don't have a large lobby and you have to pass right by the check-in desk.

I can assure you that in Montien they watch you like a hawk. Not to charge a joiner fee but to exclude boys or girls from the hotel

The new Sofitel has opened up in Silom[/b] (near the old Ramada, in front of the Rose Hotel) they may have a good price since they just opened recently....

Do you mean in Suriwongese I have googled to find a new Sofitel it has no web site yet

Sen Yai
July 14th, 2008, 11:39
Like most 5* hotels in LoS, it is not gay un-friendly and as long as you are discreet, the management won't make a problem - or charge a joiners fee. Most 5-star hotels in Thailand don't charge a joiner's fee?

My assertion was intended to be limited to the first phrase in the sentence (the Pan-Pac is not gay un-friendly) but since you question if this is true of all 5*s - yes I think so.

It was personal experience at the Pan-Pac - there was no problem bringing a guest back and I have also stayed at the Dusit Thani, Four Seasons (formerly Regent), Sofitel Silom, Sukothai and Westin/Banyan Tree - all without any problems with guests or joiners fees.

I can assure you that in Montien they watch you like a hawk. Not to charge a joiner fee but to exclude boys or girls from the hotel

The new Sofitel has opened up in Silom (near the old Ramada, in front of the Rose Hotel) they may have a good price since they just opened recently...

Do you mean in Suriwongese I have googled to find a new Sofitel it has no web site yet

Wombat, the Montien is a famous exception to my theory. They have always had a strict no-joiners policy.

The new hotel in from on the Rose on Suriwong is Le Meridian, not Sofitel.

August 20th, 2008, 20:48
Well, the mystery was revealed. The PanPac is about to start a refurbishment of the lobby. and there were already hoardings and screens over many facilities, including the glass lifts. Had no problems with unregistered guests except from some sarcasm from a gay looking receptionist about parking arrangements to one of my long term friends. The bitch tried to chat me up in the lift a few days later. Sheesh.

Loved the pool and exercise facility but this was probably partly due to some super local Thai eye-candy that was also at the excellent breakfast buffet.

Witnessed a 20-something cool Japanese punk-dressed hunk having his pretty bargirl's id card noted so I guess they are vigilant but protective of the guest.

In all it was good value but the rooms are also due a make-over. As for the Ramsi trade - it doesn't get much rougher than that, does it. Some readers might see that as a bonus, of course.

catawampuscat
August 24th, 2008, 01:15
This thread reminds me of a time when I stayed at the Welcome Plaza Hotel in Pattaya..
Hardly a 5 star, mostly straights and it used to have busloads of Chinese and maybe still
does.
One day, a farang was confronted by the hotel staff about the Thai lady he was with. They
assumed she was a lady of the evening and the farang blew up and told them she was
his wife.. The staff backed off and we all got on the lift. The farang told me he was fed up
with hotel staff assuming his sexy wife was a hooker and had had enough.

I wouldn't recommend staying at the Welcome Plaza anymore for several reasons but it was convenient and cheap with large rooms but not always a welcome feeling when accompanied by a lad.. :cat:

joe552
August 24th, 2008, 04:35
I stay at Welcome Plaza every visit and have never had a problem bringing a 'lad' back, though sometimes I'm past the stage where I'd notice a 'not always welcome feeling'

August 24th, 2008, 06:25
The farang told me he was fed up with hotel staff assuming his sexy wife was a hookerA Qantas trolley-dolly chum of mine tells me that when Qantas first started using Australian-based Thai crew they had the same problem with their Bangkok hotel; the staff assumed that when a Thai and a Westerner walked in together the Thai had to be a hooker. They've now got the hotel staff so cowed that the Australians can walk in with a real Thai hooker and the staff don't dare challenge them

catawampuscat
August 24th, 2008, 10:19
One day in Pattaya, a 40 something y.o. farang was with a young Thai boy around 10 years old on a baht bus going to Jomtien..

Another farang commented loudly how disgusting it was that this man was holding hands
with the child and how shameless this man was behaving.
The so-called perv socked the tactless farang in his face and made it clear to all that
the boy was his son and the busybody farang got off the baht bus and probably learned
to keep his big mouth shut and be careful of what he assumed..

This happened a few years ago and was told to me by another passenger on the baht bus
and the story may have been changed slightly for dramatic effect and an inexact recall on the
part of this poster. :cat:

August 24th, 2008, 10:28
I have right along my trips have been staying at Trantawan Place hotel and always found the place safe with 5 star service in a 3 star hotel. Most gay friendly, professional staff, good rooms, good service, not joiner-fees, no hustles, better secured adn most convinenet. Always fully booked .... so I am sure those who have not tried this place should try it out

August 24th, 2008, 11:22
Does the Tarntawan have pool and gym? When I'm on holiday, those are important to me.

Perhaps I've never been charged a joiners fee as I prefer afternoon delights.

August 24th, 2008, 11:36
This happened a few years ago and was told to me by another passenger on the baht bus and the story may have been changed slightly for dramatic effectThe old stories are always the best, provided they are acknowledged. Silly young Kiwi Stickman repeated a story he'd heard (which has to be ancient since it was first told about Edward VII when he was Prince of Wales, and possibly was old even before that) about a woman having two lovers who got one to buy her an expensive present (jewelery, car, whatever) and another to give the cash to buy the same, thus giving pleasure to both while enjoying both present and cash. Stickman was agog at the supposed ingenuity (let alone sophistication) of this Thai woman. It helps to know the gossipy side of history at times

paulg
August 24th, 2008, 17:50
One day in Pattaya, a 40 something y.o. farang was with a young Thai boy around 10 years old on a baht bus going to Jomtien..

Another farang commented loudly how disgusting it was that this man was holding hands
with the child and how shameless this man was behaving.
The so-called perv socked the tactless farang in his face and made it clear to all that
the boy was his son and the busybody farang got off the baht bus and probably learned
to keep his big mouth shut and be careful of what he assumed..

This happened a few years ago and was told to me by another passenger on the baht bus
and the story may have been changed slightly for dramatic effect and an inexact recall on the
part of this poster. :cat:

Many years ago I attended an international convention of our professional association. As a speaker I had met the various association executive members at rehearsals prior to the opening. One of those a Filipino lady, invited me to dinner with her family. She had married an Australian and they had two sons with them staying in their apartment. She was CEO of a rival organization with HQ in my home town. At breakfast on the opening day, the husband and the 2 boys came in for breakfast.

On a table on the other side of the room I heard shouting and and there was this farang female going off her rocker calling him pedo and yelling boo, boo, boo. It was a dreadful scene made even worse when her husband joined her and I realised he was the newly appointed VP of my employer. I tried to calm things down but the father of the boys had his passports with him, the boys included ,showed it to the idiot and asked him to leave .

That night I had a phone call from the Chairman to confirm the story. He was sacked within 24 hours.