PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Hotels

July 8th, 2008, 13:25
Anyone stayed at the Rose Hotel recently? Is there still a lot of noise from construction?

How is Surawong Hotel these days?

The Regent Silom serviced apartments seems good value. Any experiences? any joiner fees? noisy ?

Grateful any views/comments/experiences

Thanks
Jim

neddy3
July 8th, 2008, 15:36
Construction noise should no longer be an issue, as the new Le Meredian building is virtually complete.

Is the hotel open? I saw a group of young people wearing 'Opening team' Tshirts in April, though it was somwe way from opening at that time.

Bob
July 9th, 2008, 04:58
The Rose Hotel remodelling was all done when I stayed there in November of 2006. I have no clue about
surrounding properties.

July 9th, 2008, 06:26
Anyone stayed at the Rose Hotel recently? Is there still a lot of noise from construction?

The Regent Silom serviced apartments seems good value. Any experiences? any joiner fees? noisy ?

Thanks
Jim

Surawong was cockroach infested in July 2007 - I can vouch for it - and that was the +2000B rooms

July 10th, 2008, 00:59
When I was at the Rose last November, construction noise was not a problem.
Most of the heavy construction on the adjacent building was already complete. There was a noise problem from a street vendor with music 5 stories down on the road though.
Otherwise the hotel was excellent.

Perhaps if you intend to sleep all day, it may be different.

krobbie
July 10th, 2008, 02:44
I stayed at the Rose in January and again in February this year. It is a little expensive now for what you get. The location is prime as it is close to Patpong.
The women on reception are very helpful as is the people who man the tour desk. The cleaning ladies are very good but I always give a tip on the first day and last, which ensures very good service.

Le Meridien Surawongse is the Hotel now built in frint of the Rose. The fit out is almost complete and should be open fairly soon. I see the room rate is about 3700 baht for standard. Well, it is *****.

I loved the Rose and the new pool but I know I could get a better room rate. The rooms are very small and they have put the rate up to 1950 baht I believe.

Cheers
krobbie

July 10th, 2008, 03:27
The Rose definately has location in it's favour.

If one leaves Soi Duangthawee from the top end & walk around "the back route" it's only a quiet couple of minute to the hotel, with no hostile looks from gawping farang women.

Ideally I'd want a cheaper joiner friendly hotel that's just as close to Soi Duangthawee. If there are any?

July 10th, 2008, 12:34
Thanks for the comments?

Anyone any experience of Regent Silom, seems reasonable price and good location. joiners policy? noise levels?

TrongpaiExpat
July 10th, 2008, 12:49
The Rose definately has location in it's favour.

If one leaves Soi Duangthawee from the top end & walk around "the back route" it's only a quiet couple of minute to the hotel, with no hostile looks from gawping farang women.

Ideally I'd want a cheaper joiner friendly hotel that's just as close to Soi Duangthawee. If there are any?

BBB? Is this why so many of you want Hotels close to the bars, fear of "gawping farangs". I don't remember the last time some farang gave me the look of disapproval when I am with my BF. Most of the farangs in and around Patpong are Euros and they are not generally all that judgmental and they must know that there not at Disney Land any longer.

yedo111
July 10th, 2008, 15:37
I stayed at Rose last August , and the noise from the construction workers was a problem. A lot of complaints.
Still good value , I only paid 1450 Baht for a standard room.

And it was one of my best nights there when I think about it...

Thanks
Jim

thrillbill
July 13th, 2008, 15:00
I go to BKK 2-3 weekends a month for my socializing... (I work in the Eastern Seaboard area so live in Pattaya). Since I do not stay in my hotel room much on the weekends in BKK, I choose something that is more economical in the Silom area. Here's the scoop:

Silom Regent: Good location if you hit soi 4 bars and then DJ's and G.O.D. later; infact, The Silom Regent is 45 second walk down the way from G.O.D. and a one minute walk to the escalator to the Skytrain. You can get a room without a window (I sleep until noon so don't want light) for about 1600 baht right now. It is very basic but clean. Negatives: sometimes it has a musty order/ TV stations are not all programed on the televison...

Suriwongse Hotel: I stayed in the new, remodeled section a year ago... Price??? I think around 1600 baht peak season. It was ok, but the manager charge me for a half a day when I had told them I was checking out at 2pm and the other clerk had said the day before it was ok. Because of the b@tch behind the counter, I'll never stayeed there again...and certainly not in their cheap old rooms. It is a bit seedy.

The new Bally Service Apartments (next to Burger King on Silom) I stayed there during their promotion price of 1600 baht. Rooms were nicely decorated but if the price jacks up to 3000+ baht, it wouldn't be worth the price.

The new Saladaeng Inn behind a new bakery on Saladeng (look for the orange sign that says INN) I just stayed here this weekend - took their superior room at their promotion price of 1600 baht. It was new so everything was clean and working but once the price goes up to 3000+ baht, it wouldn't be worth the price... the shower is one that sprays on the floor of the BR and the place isn't that friendly...alot of couples were there when I stayed. free internet

The Trinity Silom Hotel (I think that is the name) has a good price with older big rooms and what I like about it was the new fitness equipment along with their olympic size pool. It is an older hotel but walking distance to soi 4. I paid under 2000 baht in May for a room. Breakfast is buffet.

I stayed at another place called "Take a Nap" on Rama 4...it is close to soi Twilight. IT was "ok" but the cheap looking rooms are right next to the noisey over pass and not that decent. For the same price, you can get something better. Since it was new, it was clean. Nice staff and free internet.

One of my favorites is the newly remodeled Rose Hotel. The rooms are small but all redone. The big plus is the small pool they build in the back -tastefully done. The price I paid a month ago was 1900 baht - slow season. Good location.

I have stayed at the Unico also since the rooms have been remodeled. The price is around 2000-2400 if my memory is right. The pool is on the roof top of the hotel but there isn't much room to relax around the old pool. I don't care to stay there since the walk is longer than the other hotels I mentioned. Breakfast is buffet.

As we all know, there are some great 4-5 star hotels in the area. I am just reporting on the "3 star" ones in the area.

thrillbill
July 13th, 2008, 16:01
Oh, I also stayed in the Wallstreet Hotel on Surawangsse Rd. Good price, about 1600 baht at the time but the rooms were worn out. It was full of Japanese men with their "dates" - not much of a "gay friendly place."

A place I use to stay at was the Plaza Hotel down on Surawongse Rd. If soi Twilight is your spot, then it is an easy walk to get there. The neglected hotel is sort of a Hit and miss with the rooms. Many of them are dated, but spacious with a kitchenette. IT does have a small pool that is hardly used. It also has a buffet for breakfast-but bleak. Getting your date inside is also a "hit and miss".

I forgot to answer the question about the "visit fees." With Silom Regent, Bally, The Inn, Wall Street they definatelly will charge. With such larger hotels like the Unico and Trinity it is possible NOT to be charged if you take your key with you and not go up to the desk. It may help when you make your reservation over internet, put down 2 persons, many times there isn't a difference in price. I am usually with my Thai BF so I don't notice the extra guest fees. Surprising when he is with me, they don't even ask for his ID card but he looks like he's from Singapore.

Yes, the Suriwongse, BBB, and the more expensive Tatawan Hotel will not charge you an extra 500 baht for a guest.

Sen Yai
July 13th, 2008, 21:09
Thrillbill, have you tried Baan Saladaeng (http://www.baansaladaeng.com/) ?

It's on Saladaeng Soi 3, opposite Le Siam (formerly Anna's Cafe). Owned and run by two nice guys.

July 13th, 2008, 22:38
Thrillbill, have you tried Baan Saladaeng (http://www.baansaladaeng.com/) ?

It's on Saladaeng Soi 3, opposite Le Siam (formerly Anna's Cafe). Owned and run by two nice guys.

Do you know what their joiner policy is?

Sen Yai
July 13th, 2008, 22:48
Do you know what their joiner policy is?

Yes ~ from their web site:

Guests
Residents of Baan Saladaeng are allowed to invite guests who are 18 years + to their room. However, extra linen will not be provided. Residents of Baan Saladaeng are fully responsible for inviting guests to their room and Baan Saladaeng will not be held liable for any inconvenience or damage that occurs. Residents inviting guests to there room shall be held responsible for their guestтАЩs behaviour and liable for any damage caused. All security / night duty staff have the right to ask for, check and keep a record of the Identification Cards / passports of all non-residents.

In practice there is no problem. The owners are very understanding of PLU.

Beachlover
July 19th, 2008, 21:28
Thanks Thrillbill