PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G

July 8th, 2008, 11:08
In a few days the iPhone 3G will be introduced in some countries by Apple.
Thailand is not on the list of these countries for now, but who knows more, or is it available somewhere under the counter?

July 8th, 2008, 12:02
It will be available here over the counter. Just not Apple's counter. MBK is full of them (both genuine and fake).

Richsilver
July 8th, 2008, 17:42
There are, in fact, no fake iPhones available yet. And the new 3G is unlikely to find its way to Thailand anytime soon as it will be much too expensive to purchase in the US without activation (the old 2Gs did not have to be activated). Even if you were to get a 3G phone, there is yet no 3G available in Thailand except for a test in Chiang Mai.

Since Apple is no longer selling the 2G phone, the pipeline is rapidly drying up and their prices here are going up. At MBK they have gone from 18,000 baht a few months ago for the 8 Gig phone to over 22,000 now and I suspect they won't be available much longer.

No word from Apple when Thailand becomes a legitimate market.

July 8th, 2008, 17:53
There are, in fact, no fake iPhones available yet.

Don't know where you get your "facts" from, but "in fact" I have a purchased-in-Thailand fake iPhone in my little hands at this very moment. They are all over the place!

Here's a Thai website where you can buy them online for 6,800.00 baht.

http://www.khongtook.com/product.detail_0_th_1567818

They even throw in a fake Lacoste polo shirt for free!

PS: the fake iPhone I have has the "bite" taken out of the left side of the apple (as in the photos on the above website), whereas it should be out of the right side. It also has removable/replaceable batteries, whereas the genuine does not. Chinese writing and misspelled English inside are also a dead giveaway.

markie1
July 8th, 2008, 20:26
WOuld these phones work with your own Sim card from the UK ,do you know

July 8th, 2008, 20:27
I've seen LOTS of IPhones/IPODS with all the boys in Silom, the gym, shopping malls, ... all this despite that they are supposedly not available here. If the IPhone is anything like my IPOD that just can't ever seem to connect with my computer (immediately ejects after connecting) interminably then I'll surely be giving the IPhone a certain thumbs DOWN.

jinks
July 8th, 2008, 20:29
WOuld these phones work with your own Sim card from the UK ,do you know

If you pay for the facilities i.e. 3G in the UK... Yes about ┬г1.20 per minute.

July 9th, 2008, 00:22
...which were for sale all over the place in Mae Sai/Tachilek. They were great phones, except for huge nonworking features.

krobbie
July 9th, 2008, 02:56
The first 3G iPhones to go on sale world wide will ba available at 1 minute passed nidnight this coming Friday at the Vodaphone in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. They are camped outside the store in Auckland already and are flying in from as far as the USA.

The phones that are available currently are the old generation iPhone NOT the 3G which comes as 8GB or 16GB. The phones are quite reasonable ($NZ199) but the Vodaphone plan is $6,000 over 2 years. They have several plans and phone price variation but it was discussed on the TV last night that Vodaphone will be the most expensive worldwide. Other countries where the iphone will be available have their plans up online already although phone not yet available. Yes ... yet another NZ provider gouges the public!

Cheers
krobbie

July 9th, 2008, 09:50
Pardon my ignorance, but what is so special about iPhones? Why would anyone want to camp out to buy one?

Because they're cool.

July 9th, 2008, 09:57
In what way?

Why don't you stop into an Apple store for a demonstration, or read up online? Here's some information:

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/apple-iphone-16gb-at/4505-6452_7-32851722.html?tag=prod.txt.4

July 9th, 2008, 12:42
And the new 3G is unlikely to find its way to Thailand anytime soon as it will be much too expensive to purchase in the US without activation (the old 2Gs did not have to be activated). Even if you were to get a 3G phone, there is yet no 3G available in Thailand except for a test in Chiang Mai.

Also 3G is highly over-rated. I have a 3G plan in Hong Kong, and it is no faster for data than GPRS was before that and WAP over GSM before that. The special features (GPS mapping etc.) offered by the new 3G iPhone will not work in Thailand anyway, so if you want wifi access and email, and the cool interface, best to get the iPod Touch and use a normal phone.

For a company that usually has a great deal of marketing savvy, Apple have completely missed the mark over and over again with their product strategy in Asia. They continually put this region last, despite the fact that it has the highest mobile phone penetration, and highest purchase rate per year (ie. the number of mobiles individuals purchase in one year).

July 9th, 2008, 13:29
In the different posts I read about prices up to THB 22,000, but why is Apple advertising with USD 299?
Is the difference in price the registration/unlocking/software thing?

July 9th, 2008, 13:32
That, and the costs of getting into (smuggling it into) Thailand. Profits for whoever stands in line to buy it in the US, middle men, and retailer. All adds up.

July 9th, 2008, 13:49
Because they're cool.

Well my 160 GByte Classic blue-tooth enabled G6 is COOL but it really disappoints with syncing problems with my music library. And who would want a cell phone without BlueTooth capabilities? And you can't use it here, so ... What''s the big deal?

July 9th, 2008, 14:02
You can't use Bluetooth in Thailand? What have you been smoking?

If you mean 3G, no there is no 3G network in Thailand. Coming soon, though. And the new iPhone offers other improvements other than just 3G.

July 9th, 2008, 15:12
You can't use Bluetooth in Thailand? What have you been smoking?

If you mean 3G, ...

Yes, no 3G in Thailand. And according to a link above the IPhone doesn't support BT, so I'm not sure it wouldn't be useful "hands free", unless, of course a second-party bluetooth adapter is available, like the IPOD

Me? Smoking? javascript:emoticon(':smoking:')

Are you sure it's not not legal in Thailand?

July 9th, 2008, 21:34
It is useless to argue with Apple freaks. My brother is one -- he lives in the Silicon Valley and lugged a Newton around for years.

Bluetooth? What's that? Well, it enables me to share files instantly (and for free) with people sitting near me, and it drives the hands-free set in my car.

By the way, the GPS in the Nokia N95 8GB is just a nice toy. The maps are absurdly out-of-date (the Thai maps, of course). But everything else works like a charm: the video, the pictures (including slide-show), the (surprising) wireless-modem capability -- everything.

Just don't tell that to an Apple Person. They will just reply that that iPhone is "cool." :-)

Silom Farang recently went out and spent SEVENTY THOUSAND BAHT on a "cool" Macintosh, which is developing screen cracks and has big problems installing and running Photoshop. Hey, but it's COOL!

I say, you can buy a Honda Airblade for 55,000 baht.

July 10th, 2008, 21:30
If you look at the keypad of any Nokia sold in Thailand, you will notice that the phone is Thai-enabled. That means, not just menus etc. in Thai, but that you can write and read SMS messages in Thai, give your contacts Thai names. The Nokia has been localized to Thailand.

Just as a guess, the iPhone has not. This may have something to do with Nokia owning about 90% of the Thai market, and Apple owning 0%.

Hey, but Apple is "cool." Hopelessly dimwitted, but "cool."

July 10th, 2008, 21:40
The iPhones on sale in Thailand have been software-updated to give them Thai language capabilities.

Dimwit.

Isn't there a topic you actually have knowledge of that you'd like to discuss?

July 10th, 2008, 22:23
No, I don't know anything about all this. I worked in software development in the Silicon Valley for 23 years -- how about you, Chao Na? Most of those years were with a company which did telephones -- how about you, Chao Na?

To me, these two sentences say the same thing:

1. Nokia owns about 80% of the Thai market, and Apple owns 0%.

2. Apple has just "software-updated" its iPhone to do Thai language.

Nokia is planning ahead, and has been for years. Apple is playing a terrible game of "catch-up." "Terrible" as in "failing." Consider the Newton.

But now I ask myself: does Chao Na ever post anything original? Has he ever actually contributed anything to this forum? Or is he just another ravening attack weasel?

Onto the "ignore" list you go, O People of the Fields!! (urp)

July 14th, 2008, 10:46
Why are Nokia phones so popular in thailand? My BF has one... and loves it. But to me, they are ugly, thick, bricks. Heavy and awkward. Very old fashioned. I'm not an Apple fan (I've always owned PCs and Motorola mobiles), but the new Iphone 3G is pretty tempting. Especially now that AT&T is subsidizing the price here in the USA. For those of you not familiar with the phone or its very user friendly features.. you can check it out here...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/