PDA

View Full Version : The future of Pattaya

July 7th, 2008, 03:52
Stickman does FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) about Pattaya this week - http://www.stickmanweekly.com/StickMark ... attaya.htm (http://www.stickmanweekly.com/StickMarkII/TheFutureOfTourismInPattaya.htm) - and the most quotable bit (for me - I've always thought that Pattaya is no more than a seaside brothel) is "Bangkok has plenty of draws away from the naughty side of things. And I donтАЩt know that Pattaya does."

July 7th, 2008, 04:24
"Bangkok has plenty of draws away from the naughty side of things. And I donтАЩt know that Pattaya does."

Probably correct to an extent. Bankok is an exciting destination for daytime sightseeing, but has slighly more expensive nightlife.

July 7th, 2008, 15:29
Never did particuarly like BKK but in spite of having already done the touristy things many times in the past, usually 'suffered' a night there at the start or end of a visit (or both), especially when my flight arrival or departure times at Don Muang made the arrival/departure time to/from Pattaya inconvenient.

I've not been to BKK since the new airport opened and have no intention of doing so in the future - the place is just too crowded, traffic grid-locked and above all hotel/entertainment costs are far too expensive.

Lunchtime O'Booze
July 7th, 2008, 16:04
I disagree..(well I would wouldn't I !)

I don't know who is friend is that got supposedly such rude treatment..I've found no difference in the attitudes of Thais..they're as friendly as can be in Pattaya ! ( anyway why did he want a frigging umbrella ??)

As much as the new authority person may want to "clean up" Pattaya it will end in tears for him.

Pattaya will always do well..everyone seems to forget about the huge numbers of Bangkok residents who flock to the seaside.

and it's about time Homintern made the effort and got down here, graced us with his presence and gave us his personal opinion of heaven !!

(PS-spell check gives Hamburger as an alternative to Homintern..what can it mean ?)

July 7th, 2008, 16:21
(PS-spell check gives Hamburger as an alternative to Homintern..what can it mean ?)My buns are edible

TrongpaiExpat
July 7th, 2008, 20:03
Oh dear, another Bangkok v. Pattaya v. Phuket v. Chiang Mai v. someplace else debate. Frankly, I don't care what place you like and comparing them are all mixed fruits. But, in Bangkok at least the fruits don't parade around in XL Speedos three sizes too small.

July 7th, 2008, 21:05
(PS-spell check gives Hamburger as an alternative to Homintern..what can it mean ?)

An In-N-Out burger ?

July 7th, 2008, 21:24
... its good at the moment, especially living in Pattaya, not so many falang and low season and lots to choose from. Having said that, I recently saw quite a few Pattaya boys in London, and that's only when I'm in London, there's probably a lot more than I saw, and its supposedly difficult to get visas for the UK. I think all the Pattaya boys are emigrating to Europe for 2 week holidays.

Places like Pattaya are one in a million and people who go on their hols for only one thing find it hard not to go to these type of places. And a lot of people just cut the crap out of their holidays and "go", and they make it their priority. Whilst Thailand in general is going to suffer due to the downturn in the West, so are other tourist destinations like Ibiza, Florida, Italy, Greece, Hong Kong, need I go on.

It will pick up again in a few years' time.

bing
July 7th, 2008, 22:58
I agree, it does cost more to travel these days. I found Oslo has the reputation for the most expensive city in the world. People are charming, but it is a bit much for a vacation spot. Travelocity suggests high and low cost places and in SouthEastAsia, Thailand is on the list of affordable places.