PDA

View Full Version : Section 28

July 3rd, 2008, 01:29
Section 28:

Prohibition on promoting homosexuality by teaching or by publishing material

(1) The following section shall be inserted after section 2 of the [1986 c. 10.] Local Government Act 1986 (prohibition of political publicity)тАФ

тАЬ2A Prohibition on promoting homosexuality by teaching or by publishing material

(1) A local authority shall notтАФ

(a) intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality;

(b) promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship.

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) above shall be taken to prohibit the doing of anything for the purpose of treating or preventing the spread of disease.

(3) In any proceedings in connection with the application of this section a court shall draw such inferences as to the intention of the local authority as may reasonably be drawn from the evidence before it.

(4) In subsection (1)(b) above тАЬmaintained schoolтАЭ means,тАФ

(a) in England and Wales, a county school, voluntary school, nursery school or special school, within the meaning of the Education Act 1944; and

(b) in Scotland, a public school, nursery school or special school, within the meaning of the Education (Scotland) Act 1980.тАЭ

(2) This section shall come into force at the end of the period of two months beginning with the day on which this Act is passed.

Marsilius
July 3rd, 2008, 12:09
For those unfamiliar with modern UK history, that awful looking piece of legislation, passed in the late 1980s after several "scares" about what kids were being taught in schools, never actually resulted in a single prosecution!

It was repealed, still unused and largely merely totemic, in 2003.

For more, see Wikipedia on "section 28".

Smiles
July 3rd, 2008, 12:19
Is there a particular point Gone Fishing is trying to make here with these ponderous copy & pastes? To be honest, the cow flatulence thread resonates with greater ooomph.

But whatever ....

Cheers

July 3rd, 2008, 14:59
This piece of heinous homophobic legislation has now been repealed. Whilst it was never invoked it was very effective and has led to several generations of British kids, both gay and straight, being severely bullied because teachers were afraid to intervene and give tuition that might be seen as promoting homosexuality. It promoted the idea that homosexuals were less equal. The word "gay" is still used by several generations to mean "lame" and "unworthy". The legislation was both effective and affective. It is a shameful disgrace.

Thatcher may have done this country some good but this shows her true colours and why she will always be a figure worthy of hate from many.

July 4th, 2008, 00:30
Is there a particular point Gone Fishing is trying to make here with these ponderous copy & pastes?

Smiles,

it would be difficult for Section 28 and the GLF Manifesto to be anything other than "ponderous copy & pastes" unless I edited them, which would hardly have met the "particular point" I was "trying to make", namely: "In order to clarify what Section 28 and the GLF Manifesto actually said I have posted these in full, unedited, in the Global Forum."

It was clear that the topic was no longer appropriate for the Gay Thailand forum, hence the move. I would not expect you either to understand that or to add anything constructive whatsoever to the debate, and you have lived up to my expectations.

July 4th, 2008, 00:52
For those unfamiliar with modern UK history, that awful looking piece of legislation, passed in the late 1980s after several "scares" about what kids were being taught in schools, never actually resulted in a single prosecution!

It was repealed, still unused and largely merely totemic, in 2003.

For more, see Wikipedia on "section 28".

Not strictly true, as I have pointed out on the original thread: " it was only ever used once when the Christian Institute took Glasgow City Council to court for funding an AIDS support charity which the Institute alleged promoted homosexuality and they lost their case".

Wesley
July 5th, 2008, 07:08
Love the pic in your avatar but I agree with Smiles on this one.

Wes