View Full Version : Encouraging

piston10
July 2nd, 2008, 04:25
'You are old, Father William,' the young man said,
'And your hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on your head -
'Do you think, at your age it is right?'

Edward Lear

In reply to the impertinent questions of the young about how I do it I usually reply, "Genes, diet... and plenty of sex". Genes and diet are not problematic, but I sometimes wonder whether the joke, 'plenty of sex', isn't a bit of wishful thinking. Today, however, the UK newspaper The Independent has published an article entitled, rather clumsily, 'Could sex save your life?', detailing the benefits of an active sex life. Of course, it's journalism, tells the reader what he/she probably wants to hear, and is rather general about the medical and 'scientific' studies on which it is based. It covers topics from self-esteem to ensuring the health of your prostate by regular masturbation. (Apparently you have to start young and keep at it vigorously throughout life; so I should be all right!) There is a shortened version of the article at
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 57533.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/features/could-sex-save-your-life-857533.html)

The paragraphs of the article tell us that sex:

Improves self-esteem and mental health
Aids sleep
Combats stress
Boosts immunity
Reduces cancer risk (prostate, etc.)
Improves intimacy
Eases pain
Burns calories
Increases longevity

So it rather looks as if readers of SGT who live in Thailand, or who visit the country, because of the sex are doing themselves a mighty favour. Without being aware of it, they may be following very healthy instincts. (In ignoring everything else Thailand has to offer, of course, they may be doing themselves no favour at all.)

I have to admit the article is not all that impressive; they have equivalents in the gutter press. Still, I also feel there is a kernel of truth in some of the claims.

(As the Opening Poster, I hereby declare I do not care tuppence about which way the thread develops. There are openings here for the prim and the prurient, the uptight and the lascivious, the cynics and the humane, the witty and the humourless, the rational and the raving bonkers. Take it away!)

Bob
July 2nd, 2008, 05:50
The paragraphs of the article tell us that sex:

Improves intimacy

Burns calories

I do hope they didn't spend millions to make those two conclusions!