PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to petrol prices in LOS

lonelywombat
July 1st, 2008, 15:58
There has been no bleating about baht bus increases or higher motorbike taxi fees, only Thai airways increasing rates

I have just filled my car at 50.1baht per litre [A$1.63] Yes I am aware that the Thais use gallons and I cannot do the conversion, but I am interested to see whether the Government is subsidising some of the costs.

July 1st, 2008, 16:09
There has been no bleating about baht bus increases or higher motorbike taxi fees, only Thai airways increasing rates

I have just filled my car at 50.1baht per litre [A$1.63] Yes I am aware that the Thais use gallons and I cannot do the conversion, but I am interested to see whether the Government is subsidising some of the costs.

Thais use liters.

Don't know the exact rate off the top of my head, but it is not too different from what you've paid. Costs me about 2,200 baht to fill my car with diesel.

July 1st, 2008, 16:49
http://www.eppo.go.th/retail_prices.html

An overview of the average prices in BKK.

July 1st, 2008, 16:57
When I clicked on the link above, Firefox said it was a reported attack site. It will not load for my computer's protection

July 1st, 2008, 17:08
When I clicked on the link above, Firefox said it was a reported attack site. It will not load for my computer's protection

Stange that PM, it loads fine on Microsoft.

George.

jinks
July 1st, 2008, 17:46

Below just for you from my Firefox browser

......... click on it to make it bigger, save your glasses for drinking.

TrongpaiExpat
July 1st, 2008, 20:26
At 38.19B for 1L(lowest price) and 1L= 3.784 Gal then one Gal. = 144.51 Baht at an exch. rate of 0.03006 one Gal. of gas cost 4.35 USD. Not much lower than current US prices.

On CNN today I heard the CEO of Chevron blame high demand in developing Asian countries for the high prices. He did not name countries.

jinks
July 1st, 2008, 20:39
At 38.19B for 1L(lowest price) and 1L= 3.784 Gal then one Gal. = 144.51 Baht at an exch. rate of 0.03006 one Gal. of gas cost 4.35 USD. Not much lower than current US prices.

However the British Imperial gallon is bigger :)......

38.19 and 4.546 = 173 baht = ┬г2.60 per gallon. Today in the UK = ┬г5.86 per gallon.

UK is as we know in litres... 38.19 @ 66.83 = 0.57p per litre. Today in the UK ┬г1.29 per litre.

July 2nd, 2008, 00:22
Petrol prices have gone up. As they have all over the world.

More worrying is that food prices (especially the price of rice) have shot up.

Some people attribute this to the arrival of China and India on the world market. HUGE populations there, and, for some crazy reason, they would like to have all the goodies other people have.

Demand increases, and prices go up. Elementary, my dear Watson. Especially when you learn that US demand is already back to 2002 levels.

Prices -- and the free market -- work.

I am most interested in the leftist opposition to "increasing supply." No matter what source is suggested, the Green Wing hates it. In fact, some Democrats even suggested raising the tax on gas!!

The US has lots of petroleum in environmentally-protected spaces. Including off-shore drilling.

Why, if coal liquefaction became a national project, the Saudis might be left beating their camels out of frustration.

But -- at the very least -- flex-fuel cars. I'm driving one right now. Quoth the salesman: "91 octane, 95 octane, E20 ethanol, or gasohol -- use whatever you like." And this car is a Honda Civic.

Where is GM on all this??

markie1
July 2nd, 2008, 00:49
Well i can tell you in the Uk now we are paying any thing up to 95 BAHT A LITRE, THATS NEARLY 400 bAHT A GALLON.iTS SHOCKING.
LOLL :bounce:

July 2nd, 2008, 00:54
Well i can tell you in the Uk now we are paying any thing up to 95 BAHT A LITRE, THATS NEARLY 400 bAHT A GALLON.iTS SHOCKING.

And it MIGHT just give you some second thoughts about "our friends the Saudis."

July 2nd, 2008, 01:54
But -- at the very least -- flex-fuel cars. I'm driving one right now. Quoth the salesman: "91 octane, 95 octane, E20 ethanol, or gasohol -- use whatever you like." And this car is a Honda Civic.

And you, apparently, were conned. All modern petrol engined cars can use "91 octane, 95 octane, E20 ethanol, or gasohol", however the petrol consumption will vary considerably as will the life expectancy of some of the engine parts.

"Flex-fuel" cars are ones able to run on different fuels, for example petrol/electric hybrids or dual petrol/NGV.

Impulse
July 2nd, 2008, 06:30
I agree with the liberals,no drilling,at least not for now.Why should Californians or Floridians have the risk of an oil spill on their pristine beaches?Especially after almost 20 years the supreme court sides with exonn and reduces their liability to only 500 million dollars from 5 billion dollars! 3 days worth of profits!! All those fishermen in Alaska who lost their livelyhood in 1989. Of course it couldnt have happened to a more deserving group,those alaskans always vote republican.How ironic!

July 9th, 2008, 23:43
I agree with the liberals,no drilling,at least not for now.Why should Californians or Floridians have the risk of an oil spill on their pristine beaches?Especially after almost 20 years the supreme court sides with exonn and reduces their liability to only 500 million dollars from 5 billion dollars! 3 days worth of profits!! All those fishermen in Alaska who lost their livelyhood in 1989. Of course it couldnt have happened to a more deserving group,those alaskans always vote republican.How ironic!

I beg to disagree. Especially in the dumb idea that a country's greatness can be told by its kindness to animals.

Governments are for people, not for animals.

"Why should [bla bla] risk an oil spill [bla bla]"

Why should anyone risk anything? I think instant surrender is the best option, and may the best mullah win.

Unless, of course, you are willing to take action, and roll the dice!

My opinion? It's free!! We should pass a Federal Law permitting wind energy off of Senator Kennedy's estate. (He opposes that! What a GREAT MAN.)

We should develop all of the good wind and solar sites.

We should build lots of nuclear power plants.

We should open the oil shale fields in America, and also drill for oil in Alaska.

We should be going after coal liquefaction in a big way.

Otherwise, we will continue paying trillions of dollars a year to Arab yahoos who still believe in slavery.

Just saying...

July 10th, 2008, 08:35
By this time next year the price of oil will be in to $70-$90 range- a 50% drop from here.
America will be mired in the second year of a recession and the rest of the world is going down with us.
The much ballyhooed economies of India and China are going down the tubes as we speak.
Sales of oil products will plummet with the faltering world economy and the speculators and hedge funds are going to get their a$$ets reamed out.

High prices are their own cure.

July 10th, 2008, 22:43
By this time next year the price of oil will be in to $70-$90 range- a 50% drop from here.
America will be mired in the second year of a recession and the rest of the world is going down with us.
The much ballyhooed economies of India and China are going down the tubes as we speak.
Sales of oil products will plummet with the faltering world economy and the speculators and hedge funds are going to get their a$$ets reamed out.

High prices are their own cure.

Well, kenc, your comments are pretty astute, but where did you ever get the idea that the American economy is in a recession? A recession is usually defined as two consecutive quarters of negative growth. There have been slow quarters, but as yet no negative ones.

So the leftist MSM are stuck with phrases like "trembling on the edge of recession," or "probably headed into a recession." No problem understanding where those dudes are coming from -- "If it's bad news about America, PRINT IT!" It's been going on so long that most people haven't noticed that the war in Iraq is just about over.

July 10th, 2008, 22:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDXTgfDJP3I

July 12th, 2008, 07:44
...where did you ever get the idea that the American economy is in a recession? A recession is usually defined as two consecutive quarters of negative growth. There have been slow quarters, but as yet no negative ones....

Oh Henry honey. It's a "slowdown" is when you're neighbor is out of work. It's a "recession" when you're out of work.

Yes, you're correct when you're talking about the "technical" definitions. Just like the press announced last week we were finally officially in a Bear Market since the Dow finally closed down 20% from its high last October.
Small solace to the shmucks that bought last October.

Anyhow, a good Republican as yourself should know NEVER to trust government statistics, no matter which Party is in control.
They ALL cook the books.

Here's a site that will warm the cockles of your Right Wing heart.

Shadowstats.com (http://www.shadowstats.com/)

July 12th, 2008, 20:36
Hmm, I bought the S&P 500 index at 1094, back in October of 2004. Now it's about 1275. Guess I'd better go jump out of a window. It's a bear market, even though my holdings are up around 20 percent.

I believe you'll find that the Real Bear Market is in housing. But this "Real Bear Market: may simply be a Bubble Collapse. I remember well noting that a shack in Oakland (I am not exaggerating) was on the market for $375,000. It has happened in Florida, it has happened in Japan, it's happening now in the good old US of A.

The only real advice I can offer is to try and get a sense of when the bottom has been hit, and then BUY.

July 12th, 2008, 23:18
Hmm, I bought the S&P 500 index at 1094, back in October of 2004. Now it's about 1275. Guess I'd better go jump out of a window.

I certainly would. 4% net per year over four years, without even compounding. I'd rather have cash under my mattress.

July 14th, 2008, 03:02
Hmm, I bought the S&P 500 index at 1094, back in October of 2004. Now it's about 1275. ....

Um....better look again Henry. It just closed south of 1240 on Friday.

When it comes to one's own money I learned a long time ago to separate economic reality from political bull$hit.

Political functionaries and their media pimps may try to "define" things to confuse the rest of us, but the MARKET is reality.

thrillbill
July 14th, 2008, 04:20
Usually I agree with Henry's thoughts but not this one.... I think he watches too much Fox News.

July 14th, 2008, 04:26
Hmm, I bought the S&P 500 index at 1094, back in October of 2004. Now it's about 1275. Guess I'd better go jump out of a window.One can only hope :idea:

However October 2004 is, let's see now, nearly 4 years ago and simple arithmetic suggests that 1275 - 1094 = 181 which is somewhat less than 20% over 4 years. That equates to um, er, less than 5% a year, doesn't it? I think I might stick to my own stock market picks

Impulse
July 14th, 2008, 08:27
After the explosive bull market around the world and the run up in most of the exchanges,a worldwide reccesion and lower stock market prices should not be surprising.In fact it is a good thing if things can slow down a bit as this overheating in China,and elsewhere is raising prices everyplace. Over a billion people in China want what everyone wants and they have the savings rate to make it work. I will agree with Henry on one point,if the U.S started drilling,just that fact would lower oil prices.But we need to start conserving((thought you were a conservative henry) and use alternative energy,something the republicans could care less about(many do not believe global warming is real). This bear market looks similar to the 2002 bear,maybe a 5 to 10% oversold rally here and then some more pain back down.Hard to find good shorts now,but some nice longs if your willing to hold for a few years. Certainly dont listen to the mainstream media as they have headline news just as turning points go the other way. My best advice is to buy when fear is greatest(the vix,which measures fear )hits 30 and above,when you yourself are wanting to throw in the towel and sell and run for the hills.Thats when you should be buying,but its easier said than done. Inflation is the biggest tax of all and the only way the U.S. can pay off its huge debt.

thrillbill
July 14th, 2008, 11:01
After the explosive bull market around the world and the run up in most of the exchanges,a worldwide reccesion and lower stock market prices should not be surprising.In fact it is a good thing if things can slow down a bit as this overheating in China,and elsewhere is raising prices everyplace. Over a billion people in China want what everyone wants and they have the savings rate to make it work. I will agree with Henry on one point,if the U.S started drilling,just that fact would lower oil prices.But we need to start conserving((thought you were a conservative henry) and use alternative energy,something the republicans could care less about(many do not believe global warming is real). This bear market looks similar to the 2002 bear,maybe a 5 to 10% oversold rally here and then some more pain back down.Hard to find good shorts now,but some nice longs if your willing to hold for a few years. Certainly dont listen to the mainstream media as they have headline news just as turning points go the other way. My best advice is to buy when fear is greatest(the vix,which measures fear )hits 30 and above,when you yourself are wanting to throw in the towel and sell and run for the hills.Thats when you should be buying,but its easier said than done. Inflation is the biggest tax of all and the only way the U.S. can pay off its huge debt.
Yes, the US oil companies can drill else where around the world and pollute other countries -IF THERE ARE NO STRICT ENFORCEMENT ON POLLUTING- (look at Nigeria). I think the US can allow drilling off shore and up in Alaska as long as the US government strictly enforces safety standards and other measures to keep from accidents happening; however, it won't bring the price of oil down(according to some experts) since the price is based on speculation.... The problem with the USA, (yes, I am an American), is that they consume 25% of the world's oil.... the world cannot feed other countries with such a large appetite for oil. Even George Bush says that America is addicted to oil. The only way the US will be able to solve the problem is for the politicians to quit arguing and get serious about the country using alternative energy; funding mass transportation; and....(duh) looking beyond their borders to see what other countries have done with this problem (such as France, Sweden, Japan...) Unfortuantely after WWII when America's economy was booming...and gas was cheap the USA was built based on Americans getting around in their big automobiles -- not on walking or using a train or bus for transporation. I'm afraid to say that higher oil prices in the States may be a solution to get serious about using alternative energy and conserving more.

cottmann
July 14th, 2008, 14:41
Well, kenc, your comments are pretty astute, but where did you ever get the idea that the American economy is in a recession? A recession is usually defined as two consecutive quarters of negative growth. There have been slow quarters, but as yet no negative ones. .....

In my understanding, it is a division or unit of the US National Bureau of Economic Research that decides whether the US economy has fallen into a recession but its definition is not two consecutive quarters of negative growth but "a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP, real income, employment, industrial production and wholesale-retail sales."

That definition, coupled with recent events such as the seizure of Indy Mack Bank's assets by Federal regulators, the problems of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mack, and Merrill Lynch's estimated $6 billion second-quarter writedowns (and more losses to come perhaps), suggests it is just a matter of time before the US and the rest of the world is officially in a recession.

Bob
July 15th, 2008, 06:09
Henry is correct that technically (by definition - being two consecutive quarters of negative growth), we here in the US are not in an "official" recession. But, frankly, whatever you call it, the current conditions are worse than any "official" recession in the last 60 years. We have a strange convergence of factors never seen before: low (close to negative) growth, very serious inflation (and the official figures do not include food or energy prices - and food prices have gone up over 20% in the last year and energy is just about doubled), a serious mortgage and real estate crisis, a credit crisis somewhat separate from the mortgage crisis (basically, credit card debt defaults where the borrower can no longer cover his credit card debt by wrapping it into a first or subsequent mortgage), a dollar that's fallen for 5 years against most of the world's currencies (although this may have stopped a month or two ago), unemployment rising, the second largest bank failure in US history (with more to come?), the US government having to prop up Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (and Bear Stearns and god knows how many more before this is over), a bear stock market, and, of course, 6 more months of Bush.
So, while not officially a recession, what we do have is a fucking mess.....

P.S. There ain't any good news (well, excepting that exports are way up and that is the only thing that's helped us avoid negative growth for 6+ quarters!).

Impulse
July 15th, 2008, 06:44
Bob,your correct,we are in a real mess. But I dont thik the dollar has bottomed as we bail out who knows how many banks.The printing presses are rolling non stop! Also,it looks like gold might break its previous high of just over 1,000,not good news for inflation. Im wondering if the gold stocks will break out stronly now,as they have been rather weak,even with the high price of gold. And gold is gaining in other currencies,not just the dollar.This really sucks for ordinary people just trying to survive.or are on fixed incomes. we need to raise taxes here in the U.S to pay for the war,bail out the finacial system,and maybe try paying down our debt. But the greedy Republicans can only think of making tax cuts permanent.

July 15th, 2008, 13:15
Meanwhile, back in the UK, beer is now cheaper then petrol.

Drink... don't drive.

July 16th, 2008, 22:17
When did I ever say I was against conserving energy??? I basically agree with Bush right now -- yes, it will take a long time to bring additional capacity on line, but simply announcing that you are going to do it will probably do wonders in the energy market. Heck, Bush is an oil-man, and knows what he's talking about -- which is only common sense.

I think one of the quick conservation fixes lies in flex-fuel cars. The car I just bought may not be exactly that, but it doesn't care whether it gets 91 or 95 octane gas, gasohol, or 20 percent ethanol. More than that, I make most of my trips on a 100-mpg Honda Airblade.

Yes, the American economy has been beset by problems, but there is a big difference between predicting a future recession (sure to be right, sooner or later) and claiming a present recession.

I did some interesting math a few days back, with regard to a scare-mongering Yahoo story about an "epidemic of home foreclosures." It turns out that 0.06% of American homes had received a foreclosure notice.

Who is to blame? We must always have someone to blame. ("I blame Bush!") Certainly not the egalitarians who made red-lining illegal in writing home mortgages, or those who campaigned relentlessly for "The American Dream" belonging to everyone, not just those who can pay for it.

The whole thing reminds me of the S&L fiasco, not so long ago. Everyone was shouting, "Put your money in gold, and then put it in a mattress."

But gold in a mattress does nothing.

July 16th, 2008, 22:43
Bush is an oil-man, and knows what he's talking about

quote of the year?

cottmann
July 17th, 2008, 07:00
... Heck, Bush is an oil-man, and knows what he's talking about -- which is only common sense.........

Your claim might be reasonable but for the fact that George W Bush is a failed oil-man!

His own oil company (serially Arbusto, Bush Exploration Oil, and then Spectrum 7) was in trouble when it was bought out by Harken Energy Corp. Bush sold his Harken stocks just before the !st Gulf War, when Harken stocks lost 3/4 of their value. Bush neglected to file a required form with the Securities and Exchange Commission until eight months later. Harken also cooked its books when Bush was a Director in relation to its cash gain after selling its Aloha Petroleum subsidiary to insiders who used money borrowed from Harken. George Soros, one of the co-owners of Harken at the time, has said of GWB, "He was not much of a businessman."

Harken had strong ties to the bin Laden family, by the way.

Impulse
July 17th, 2008, 09:30
Someone should be held accountable for the housing bubble.I blame Allen Greenspan for keeping interest rates too low for too long and creating the bubble with easy money. Of course The Republican party should shoulder some of the blame. When monkee brains(bush) became president ,the government was now in control by the republicans who want to deregulate everything they can.Where was the oversight of Fanniemae and the banks making irresponsible loans,knowing full well they would not be paid back?.Unbelievable leverage being used.ooops,time to bail out the banks with taxpayer money,keep the dollar printing presses going 24 hours a day. Many foreigners are taking advantage of the weak dollar here in the states,buying up properties left and right.

July 17th, 2008, 23:15

And it MIGHT just give you some second thoughts about "our friends the Saudis."
Just got back from the UK - and in the North-West, where my mother lives, it is ┬г1.19 a litre!!

July 18th, 2008, 07:16
While we've been having fun arguing about weather we're in a Recession or not, oil has taken a big hit and is now under $130 a barrell.

thrillbill
July 18th, 2008, 09:13
Someone should be held accountable for the housing bubble.I blame Allen Greenspan for keeping interest rates too low for too long and creating the bubble with easy money. Of course The Republican party should shoulder some of the blame. When monkee brains(bush) became president ,the government was now in control by the republicans who want to deregulate everything they can.Where was the oversight of Fanniemae and the banks making irresponsible loans,knowing full well they would not be paid back?.Unbelievable leverage being used.ooops,time to bail out the banks with taxpayer money,keep the dollar printing presses going 24 hours a day. Many foreigners are taking advantage of the weak dollar here in the states,buying up properties left and right.
The politician slime balls in DC can partly take the blame.
This article was posted on Yahoo yesterday: (and we Americans think we don' have corruption?)

Fannie, Freddie spent $200M to buy influence
Lisa LererWed Jul 16, 5:44 AM ET

If you want to know how Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have survived scandal and crisis, consider this:-
Over the past decade, they have spent nearly $200 million on lobbying and campaign contributions.

July 18th, 2008, 22:16
While we've been having fun arguing about weather we're in a Recession or not, oil has taken a big hit and is now under $130 a barrell.

BBC News: тАЬA mood of fear and pessimism is starting to descend on Europe. It now seems the region could head into recession even before the United States.тАЭ

More here: http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/2008/07/17/ive-got-your-recession-right-here/

Two more opinions: (a) I don't want a recession. (b) I find it somewhat odd that schadenfreude is leading some otherwise smart people to hope for a recession in America. We have seen, time and again, that such a thing leads to a global slowdown.

July 19th, 2008, 08:55
....Two more opinions: (a) I don't want a recession. (b) I find it somewhat odd that schadenfreude is leading some otherwise smart people to hope for a recession in America. We have seen, time and again, that such a thing leads to a global slowdown.

Oh no no no. My comments shouldn't be interpreted as my whishing for a recession. Im trying to point out that we are in a recession (in spite of some Pollyannas that think everything is hunky-dory) and what effect this is going to have on oil prices.

I'm not saying the sky is falling. I'm trying to point out it's already felled down and there's huge chunks of blue crystal lying all over the ground.

And yes, when America sneezes the rest of the world catches cold.

Now ponder a moment what that scenario means for the prices of Oil, Gold and industrial commodities like nickel and copper.
Ponder also what it means for the economies of major exporters to America like....well, China.

Of course if Henry and Georgie Bushie are right and America is just skirting a downturn and everything will soon be back to normal and business will boom again soon, well think what that scenario will do to the prices of the above.

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen. Red or Black? Place your bets, the wheel is spinning.......

Wesley
July 19th, 2008, 09:17
Average US price is $4.11 and headed down it seems,

Wes