PDA

View Full Version : Bleak outlook for high season

July 1st, 2008, 14:34
The outlook for the high season looks bleak this year.
Cuts in flights to Thailand to start.

Airlines to cut long-haul flights to Thailand next year

By Suchat Sritama
The Nation
Published on July 1, 2008

Several major airlines including Thai Airways International are cutting long-haul flights into Thailand next year in line with a forecast 12-per-cent drop in the number of inbound tourists, said the Association of Thai Travel Agents.

ATTA president Apichart Sankary said that although the Tourism Authority of Thailand targets 17 million visitors next year, only 15 million may arrive.

Starting from today, THAI will suspend its New York-Bangkok service. The company has also reduced flight frequencies, re-routed flights with particular impact on its US operations and introduced other cost-cutting measures.

"Other airlines such as Lufthansa are also considering reducing long-haul flights between Thailand and Europe," said Apichart.

Thailand is expected to miss this year's visitor target of 15.7 million. ATTA, which encompasses inbound travel agencies, expects the number to reach only 15 million.

While domestic tourism will be more sluggish than last year due to political conflict, Apichart attributed the lower number of foreign visitors to efforts in Europe and the United States to lure tourists from the Middle East.

Maitree Narukhatpichai, president of Phuket Tourism Association, admitted that foreign tourists' bookings for the island this month had dropped 15-20 per cent from last year's level due to political tensions, which were driving away visitors from major markets.

Seni Phuwasethavorn, president of the Koh Samui Tourism Business Association, said the high season would not be as active as last year due to the higher cost of travelling.

For instance, the ferry fare from Surat Thani to the island will soon be increased by 20 per cent. Currently, Samui's hotel occupancy rate is at 60 per cent, down from 70-80 per cent in the same period last year.

July 1st, 2008, 15:14
Looking for my December flights, I'm only finding economy priced tickets in my budget. Frankly, sitting for 10 hours plus in a cramped position is not how I see myself starting a holiday so I may well go elsewhere.

My August tickets were paid in March - ┬г1456 biz class including a side trip on Star Alliance mostly paid with points from previous trips that also paid my return to Geneve for skiing in March.

jinks
July 1st, 2008, 17:40
Not such a bleak outlook, I'm still coming in December business class (as usual) with Emirates.

Paid in February at a very good price.

10% cheaper than last year because my agent booked it as a "holiday inclusive" I get 1 night stop 5 star hotel in Dubai on the way back included !

If you book from the UK try with my recommendation Travelbag.
Not their internet service, use the telephone :)

July 1st, 2008, 18:01
Not such a bleak outlook, I'm still coming in December business class (as usual) with Emirates.

Paid in February at a very good price.

10% cheaper than last year because my agent booked it as a "holiday inclusive" I get 1 night stop 5 star hotel in Dubai on the way back included !

If you book from the UK try with my recommendation Travelbag.
Not their internet service, use the telephone :)

I find Travelbag absolutely superb jinks and use them to book flights for my family when they visit me in Thailand. I always phone them and am able to do so for free, even from Thailand. Their prices to Thailand are rarely, if ever beaten and Emirates is the carrier I use, as I am a member of their Skywards frequent flyer programme.

Edit.

Travelbag's phone number is: 0800 804 8911

Choc Dee,

George.

atri1666
July 1st, 2008, 18:33
No problems with tickets. November businessclass for 1450тВм with Staralliance to bkk and december for 2000тВм with swiss to singapore. Always take a cheap flight to athen or istanbul and from there in business. Cheapest still from athen with turkish airlines for 1450 euro in business.

July 1st, 2008, 18:45
If you fly Emirates often, you might want to consider becoming a member of the United frequent flier program. United has a reciprocal agreement with Emirates, whereby you may collect Emirates miles on your United card. And, of course, United is a member of the Star Alliance, so your options of what you can do with those miles will be greatly increased.

July 1st, 2008, 19:23
If you fly Emirates often, you might want to consider becoming a member of the United frequent flier program. United has a reciprocal agreement with Emirates, whereby you may collect Emirates miles on your United card. And, of course, United is a member of the Star Alliance, so your options of what you can do with those miles will be greatly increased.

Whilst I have always known that United were a partner of Emirates and have used them for flights from the UK to Canada and the States, I hadn't considered your recommended option above. It so happens that I am in a position right now to be able to use it. Thanks. http://www.davidbowie.com/users/ramoana/peace.gif

George.

July 1st, 2008, 20:49
George,
I am visiting the UK in December, taking a return flight from Canada. Can Travelbag issue tickets for flights originating in Canada? Thanks.

Brad the Impala
July 1st, 2008, 20:56
George,
I am visiting the UK in December, taking a return flight from Canada. Can Travelbag issue tickets for flights originating in Canada? Thanks.

George has given you a free telephone number for Travelbag! Why ask him not them?

jinks
July 1st, 2008, 21:15
George has given you a free telephone number for Travelbag! Why ask him not them?

The number given is a free phone within the UK.
Land line is +44 203 1397130

allieb
July 1st, 2008, 21:56
George,

In case you didn't know 0800 UK freephone numbers can't be accessed from outside the UK

Brad the Impala
July 1st, 2008, 22:01
George,

In case you didn't know 0800 UK freephone numbers can't be accessed from outside the UK

This number can be accessed from outside the UK, as we were correctly informed by George in the post when he gave the number.

TrongpaiExpat
July 1st, 2008, 22:42
And some 800 numbers from Thailand: 001-999-111-11 to get started and then follow the prompts.

July 1st, 2008, 22:46
[quote=frodo77]George,

This number can be accessed from outside the UK, as we were correctly informed by George in the post when he gave the number.[/quote:7no0uixa]

As Brad correctly says, the 0800 number can be accessed from outside the UK. frodo I am pretty certain that Travelbag can only issue tickets for flights originating in the UK, however, I would as recommended, give Travelbag a call and ask them directly in case I am wrong on this.

Choc Dee,

George.

July 1st, 2008, 22:48
And some 800 numbers from Thailand: 001-999-111-11 to get started and then follow the prompts.

For Travelbag in the UK from anywhere including Thailand. 0044 800 804 8911

Edit.

When I call the above number on my skype out account I dial +44 800 804 8911

George.