PDA

View Full Version : No joy for smokers will impress Thai Government

lonelywombat
June 30th, 2008, 14:46
For all those arguing against the ban on smokers in LOS bars and clubs, the results after the first year in my state
is encouraging the debate on going further. IT IS INTERESTING THAT FIGURES HAVE SUGGESTED MORE PEOPLE ARE GOING OUT NOW BECAUSE OF THE BAN.This has come up in this evenings news broadcasts
From todays Heraldsun

Fewer Victorians smoking after bar ban: report

* June 30, 2008 - 9:32AM

A large number of people have quit or reduced smoking since Victorian bars and clubs were made smokefree , according to Cancer Council Victoria data.

Hospitality venues in the state were made smokefree on July 1 last year.

In a Cancer Council survey of 1250 people, four out of ten recent quitters stated smokefree venues had helped them quit.

A third reported they had reduced the amount they smoked following the introduction of the legislation.

Quit Victoria executive director Fiona Sharkie said the results were a ringing endorsement of smokefree environments.

"July first last year was truly a landmark public health event with an overwhelming majority of adults, and a considerable proportion of Victorian smokers, approving of smokefree pubs and clubs," Ms Sharkie said in a statement.

"The data shows the positive consequences of the smoking bans include not only a reduction in exposure to second-hand smoke for hospitality workers and patrons, but also the potential to reduce smoking rates and consumption, with no negative impact on patronage to hospitality venues."

She said not being able to smoke in bars and clubs removed the temptation to smoke for those who had previously seen it as "ordinary" behaviour.

The research also found 45 per cent of 18- to 29-year-old smokers reported they were smoking less following the bans.

AAP

July 6th, 2008, 15:50
I was in X Boys bar in Bangkok last night, and there were plenty of people smoking, though the air seemed to be kept pretty smoke-free. Thankfully there were no smokers in my immediate area.

Speaking of X Boys, the show was long and boring and the drinks a bit pricy (B250 for a club soda or a beer), but two highlights were when they dragged some of the audience onto the stage as part of the khatooey show: one young farang, who they stripped totally naked, revealing a healthy-sized semi-hard cock (originally my friend and I thought he was planted in the audience, but he stayed and had a few drinks and seemed just like any other audience member) and one young, well-built Chinese guy from Beijing who (sadly) kept his shorts on but entertained us with his antics without his shirt.