View Full Version : Friday 4 July Events for Independence Day.

jinks
June 28th, 2008, 14:39
http://www.jinks.clara.net/07ads/0704lacage.jpg. http://www.jinks.clara.net/07ads/0704richards.jpg

July 3rd, 2008, 14:58
For July 4 they will have Cherry Pie and Apple pie on offer. Great hamburgers and pork BBQ and chicken sandwiches with french fries or home made baked beans will be available too. Oh, and wonderful chocolate malted milk shakes!! Located across from Topman in Sunee Plaza

jinks
July 3rd, 2008, 21:01
As reported by a ting tong....
Star Boys Boys is having a 4th of July Party with free food and Special entertainment.

Doors open from 8.30 pm to late. Show about 11pm
Location; Soi Pattayaland 1

http://www.gaytingtong.com/images/starboys2.jpg

Lunchtime O'Booze
July 3rd, 2008, 22:30
I'm always a bit wary of celebrating this day in a foreign country..after an incident on the lovely Greek island of Mykonos ( before it was invaded by all those plain queens and "celebrity DJs").

The delightful bar called Pierros was were we all gathered nightly as a Puerto Rican drag star named Carlos did a fab version of Liz Minnelli precariously atop the bar only 12 inches wide as he dodged whirling ceiling fans-he convinced me that we must celebrate the coming 4Th of July in costume and at parties.

I readily agreed-for I was only young then, and stitched up overnight, fueled by Ouzo, a lovely costume that consisted of red white and blue whatever..but I looked sensational in Stars & Stripes.

We gathered, not at the bar-but at the famous ( late) Pierro's home-owner of the bar and owner of the most sensational clifftop house with windows opening wide with a breathtaking view of the Aegean spread below.

Much champagne was consumed in the intoxicating breeze and we set out on foot to one of the famous Mykonos windmills-then owned by Lady Thingamabob (can't remember her name) which had been converted to a glorious home-if somewhat noisy as the wind grew and the sails gathered pace.

AS we entered those charming white washed cobble-stoned streets of Mykonos town, I gradually became aware of quiet mutterings from the locals that gradually grew to rather rude insults finally accompanied by some rather hefty rocks flung in our direction..we ran , screeching as missiles pelted down upon us-a group of terrified screaming queens in a blur of red, white and blue until we finally reached the safety of Pierro's Bar where we tore of our costumes.

How was I to know that Pierro had just been released from an Athens jail after 9 months with the accusation that he was a CIA spy reporting for the Greek generals who had just been deposed ?

That was the day I realised that the Irish will go just about anywhere for a free drink but Americans are not always too popular. I don't know if things have changed much !

francois
July 3rd, 2008, 23:19
I'm always a bit wary of celebrating this day in a foreign country..after an incident on the lovely Greek island of Mykonos ( before it was invaded by all those plain queens and "celebrity DJs").
That was the day I realised that the Irish will go just about anywhere for a free drink but Americans are not always too popular. I don't know if things have changed much !

Try Denmark! The US Fourth of July is celebrated as a National Holiday in Denmark. Americans and Irish always welcome.

Lunchtime O'Booze
July 4th, 2008, 00:21
"Try Denmark! "

I've been invited there for a conference in June '09 so I just might.

I hope you will be able to refer me to where one might make the acquaintance of young Danish gentleman !

I was once given the best b/j in my life by a Danish taxi driver visiting London..many years ago. Never forgot it !

cottmann
July 4th, 2008, 08:13
Try Denmark! The US Fourth of July is celebrated as a National Holiday in Denmark. Americans and Irish always welcome.

When was this proclaimed? I was in Denmark on 4th July some years ago and no Dane was celebrating the date then as a public holiday.

July 4th, 2008, 13:23
Danes and Danish-Americans celebrate the U.S. Independence Day by the world's largest 4. July event outside the United States.
But it is not a National Holiday in Denmark

July 4th, 2008, 13:27

As they say in Denmark "Han taler nosser"

Danish Public Holidays (http://www.visitdenmark.com/uk/en-gb/menu/turist/turistinformation/fakta-az/helligedage.htm) . A pint of Akvavit (Akavit) to the first person to find July 4th on this list.

francois
July 4th, 2008, 13:39
Danes and Danish-Americans celebrate the U.S. Independence Day by the world's largest 4. July event outside the United States.

I stand corrected. Maybe better to say some Danes celebrate Fourth of July as an American National Holiday?

TrongpaiExpat
July 4th, 2008, 14:13
Quite a long document really:

www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/index.htm (http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/index.htm)

July 4th, 2008, 15:25
I readily agreed-for I was only young thenA recent event then, O'Booze?

July 4th, 2008, 17:54
Happy Birthday USA!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/fireworks_4th_7.gif

Touche fattman and to all our US of A members too.

Choc Dee,

George. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/happy_fourth.gif

jinks
July 4th, 2008, 19:07
Happy Birthday USA!

Revolting colonialists :clown:

Smiles
July 4th, 2008, 20:23
Noticed: no crazed brouhaha and kneejerk flagwaving for Canada Day on July 1.

Cheers ...

July 4th, 2008, 20:40
Noticed: no crazed brouhaha and kneejerk flagwaving for Canada Day on July 1.

Cheers ...

Canada still maintains Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Second, as its Monarch, so can be relied upon to show proper decorum.

Smiles
July 4th, 2008, 20:49
" ... Canada still maintains Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Second, as its Monarch, so can be relied upon to show proper decorum ... "
True, but she's already 112 and won't let go, as they say. Wants desperately to beat Queen Victoria in the longevity game. The Canadian future as far as British monarchs are concerned is interesting: a bewildered and Edwardian-minded herb-taster is next in line, a short term disaster in the making ... then up pop two drug-addled and sex-crazed twinks, one who may well reign longer than his grandma.

Cheers ...

July 4th, 2008, 20:57
But when is Canada going to drop that ridiculous flag with the leaf and revert back to the 'proper' flag that shows more respect?

http://www.crwflags.com/art/hist/canredensign.jpg

The Red Ensign came into use unofficially in 1868, and by 1945 an edict said it could be flown from federal government buildings. Red Ensigns were carried by Canadians in both world wars and it wasn't until 1965, when the Maple Leaf was adopted as Canada's flag, that it lost its status.

Smiles
July 4th, 2008, 21:23
Revolting colonialists.

Cheers ...

Aunty
July 5th, 2008, 04:06
When I lived in Boston, on the 4th of July I used to fly a Union Jack out my window as a true blue loyalist, until my colleagues at work pointed out that the average American probably didn't know what it was!

jinks
July 5th, 2008, 05:00
I used to fly a Union Jack out my window

Absolutely amazing and so true, that even an English(wo)man does not know how to describe our flag. It has been the same design since 1st January 1801.

It is called the Union Flag because it symbolises the administrative union of the countries of the United Kingdom.
It is made up up of the individual Flags of three of the Kingdom's countries all united under one Sovereign.
The countries of 'England, of 'Scotland' and of 'Northern Ireland' (since 1921 only Northern Ireland has been part of the United Kingdom).
Because Wales is not a Kingdom but a Principality it could not be included on the flag.

'Union Jack' was officially acknowledged as an alternative name for the Union Flag by the Admiralty and Parliament in the early 20th century.
The term 'jack' refers to the flag that is flown from the bowsprit of a ship, often denoting nationality.

July 5th, 2008, 05:30
I used to fly a Union Jack out my window Absolutely amazing and so true, that even an English(wo)man does not know how to describe our flag. It has been the same design since 1st January 1801.This is the same Aunty, is it, who claimed in earliest posts to be from New Zealand, to be a rabid England-hater and had never been there etc. etc.? I've always suspected that Aunty = Hedda and was making the character up. But then Tourette always was a naughty, fanciful child

francois
July 5th, 2008, 06:23
I used to fly a Union Jack out my window

Absolutely amazing and so true, that even an English(wo)man does not know how to describe our flag. It has been the same design since 1st January 1801.

It is called the Union Flag because it symbolises the administrative union of the countries of the United Kingdom.
It is made up up of the individual Flags of three of the Kingdom's countries all united under one Sovereign.
The countries of 'England, of 'Scotland' and of 'Northern Ireland' (since 1921 only Northern Ireland has been part of the United Kingdom).
Because Wales is not a Kingdom but a Principality it could not be included on the flag.

'Union Jack' was officially acknowledged as an alternative name for the Union Flag by the Admiralty and Parliament in the early 20th century.
The term 'jack' refers to the flag that is flown from the bowsprit of a ship, often denoting nationality.

Mon Vieux Jinks; As a suppl├йment to your lesson on the Union Flag, the three countries are represented by the Cross of St. George; St. Andrew and St. Patrick. But the flag is "never" flown from the bowsprit at the fore of the ship. Always from the aft either on the mizzen mast, a staff or a halyard.

July 5th, 2008, 07:56

I stand corrected. Maybe better to say some Danes celebrate Fourth of July as an American National Holiday?

Hmm, I was very surprised when I read this topic, and I am still. quote: "some danes celebrate...." as an...holiday"? I have never ever known that, ;-)
In some place called Rebild, in Jutland, a part of our very small country Denmark there is a celebration, but it is celebrated in what we before called "The Industrial Holiday" . This year even the american ambassador did not go there, he prefered to drive on his bicycle around of the capital called Copenhagen. Clever man :-). 0,0000000.....9 procent of the danish population could never care less.

bing
July 5th, 2008, 08:02
I loved your snippet on Mykonos. Sounded like real life. I still remember the Irish Pub, where I got a T-shirt in Mykonos, and drank way too much Ouzo. Loved that shirt till got holes in it. I fell off a motor bike after a bit too much Ouzo one night , and the the concussion was only small. I still am not sure if it was from falling off the bike or the Ouzo that made my head hurt so much. I thought all the Greeks were great and very loving people. Did love the beach, that was in the days when forgetting to don bathing attire was no big deal, at least for me.

July 5th, 2008, 08:15
Oh yeah, I made love to a Belgian guy just belove one of the windmills, we had been out dancing all the night. I will never forget him. Mykonos, the beach Super Paradise, my own youth of age, the Interrail system. Train across Europe for no money. And then the boat from Athen. One of my friends was there 4 years ago, and told me it was a place for young people, I had to reply that it was the same 20..., ups was it 30, years agogo? :-)

Wesley
July 5th, 2008, 09:12
Interesting stuff:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. тАФ That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, тАФ That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Does this give the folks of the existing US (13 colonies) the right to chuck out by force any existing or future government that breaches the terms of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness?

This too was a recent event,

Wes

Aunty
July 5th, 2008, 10:13
I used to fly a Union Jack out my window Absolutely amazing and so true, that even an English(wo)man does not know how to describe our flag. It has been the same design since 1st January 1801.This is the same Aunty, is it, who claimed in earliest posts to be from New Zealand, to be a rabid England-hater and had never been there etc. etc.? I've always suspected that Aunty = Hedda and was making the character up. But then Tourette always was a naughty, fanciful child

As you know perfectly well, Beryl, me, myself and I are all the same as you! Arnold's on to it! He's caught us out so there's no use denying it! And as for that harlot, hedda, you're the one who made her up, not me! As I said to you at the time, I already thought it was getting a little crowded in here. Didn't you tell that too to Dr Baxter when we were in the asylum and you got caught trying to lick your own arsehole?

francois
July 5th, 2008, 10:15
Hmm, I was very surprised when I read this topic, and I am still. quote: "some danes celebrate...." as an...holiday"? I have never ever known that, ;-)
In some place called Rebild, in Jutland, a part of our very small country Denmark there is a celebration, but it is celebrated in what we before called "The Industrial Holiday" . This year even the american ambassador did not go there, he prefered to drive on his bicycle around of the capital called Copenhagen. Clever man :-). 0,0000000.....9 procent of the danish population could never care less.

Thanks "hasniThe2"! My info came from faulty memory and Google. I hope the other 99.999.... % of you Danes still welcome Americans to celebrate all your National Holidays?

Aunty
July 5th, 2008, 10:34
Interesting stuff:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. тАФ That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, тАФ That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Does this give the folks of the existing US (13 colonies) the right to chuck out by force any existing or future government that breaches the terms of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness?

It gives the citizens of ALL the united states of America the right to overthrow their government whenever that government becomes destructive of these ends. i.e., the right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the exercise of just powers which come from the consent of the governed. The Constitution of the United States is a very fine document of governance written by some of the finest British minds unencumbered by, but aware of, the snobby, privileged by birth, and not by merit, and caste of 18th century Britain.

July 5th, 2008, 13:03
But the flag is "never" flown from the bowsprit at the fore of the ship. Always from the aft either on the mizzen mast, a staff or a halyard.

'Allo francois http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk104/Bwana2008/j0236551.gif

'ere eez a picture of a Royal Navy Ship and one of a French Navy bateau:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk104/Bwana2008/HMS-Cavalier1944.jpg http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk104/Bwana2008/french.jpg

Notice anything about the position of the flags?

francois
July 5th, 2008, 23:00
Bravo Bwana!!! Of course I was describing sailing ships at sea. 55555
Best never to say never, in particular, on this forum. My regrets to Jinks.

July 5th, 2008, 23:32
I'll let Ray Charles speak for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghz4_kikLkE&feature=related

July 6th, 2008, 02:59

Thanks "hasniThe2"! My info came from faulty memory and Google. I hope the other 99.999.... % of you Danes still welcome Americans to celebrate all your National Holidays?

francois, you are all welcome, even if I think it would be crazy :cheers:

July 6th, 2008, 20:22
Interesting stuff:

It gives the citizens of ALL the united states of America the right to overthrow their government whenever that government becomes destructive of these ends. i.e., the right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the exercise of just powers which come from the consent of the governed. The Constitution of the United States is a very fine document of governance written by some of the finest British minds unencumbered by, but aware of, the snobby, privileged by birth, and not by merit, and caste of 18th century Britain.

And the result is that now, in America, any common or garden million or billionaire :cheers: can become President - now THAT'S equality!

Geezer
July 6th, 2008, 20:55
scottish-guy:"And the result is that now, in America, any common or garden million or billionaire can become President - now THAT'S equality!

Former president Bill Clinton, who came to the White House with modest means and left deeply in debt,тАжhttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/22/AR2007022202189.html

Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter came to the White House without much money,тАжhttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/24/AR2007032400305.html

July 6th, 2008, 22:41
But the flag is "never" flown from the bowsprit at the fore of the ship. Always from the aft either on the mizzen mast, a staff or a halyard.

'Allo francois http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk104/Bwana2008/j0236551.gif

'ere eez a picture of a Royal Navy Ship and one of a French Navy bateau:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk104/Bwana2008/HMS-Cavalier1944.jpg http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk104/Bwana2008/french.jpg

Notice anything about the position of the flags?

Yes, neither of the flags are flying from the bowsprit.

cottmann
July 7th, 2008, 10:55
Interesting stuff:

The quotation is from the The Declaration of Independence, surely, and not from the US Constitution? The document was largely written by one man - Thomas Jefferson - and then revised by a committee including Jefferson and John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Robert R. Livingston, and Roger Sherman. The Constitution, on the other hand, was largely drafted by James Madison, grandson of a man who received a land grant of some 4675 acres, and son of a slave owning tobacco planter, and educated at what became Princeton. The Constitution replays much of that of the Roman Republic, particularly in terms of the electoral college, and preserves power to the privileged. The Founders were well aware what they were establishing: Benjamin Franklin is reported to have said to someone who inquired what sort of government the Constitution established, "A Republic, if you can keep it." There is not a single mention of "democracy" in the document. The drafters were not without their prejudices.