PDA

View Full Version : Dan the Man!

June 24th, 2008, 02:26
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/2592709593_0f1e45ecbe_b.jpg

June 24th, 2008, 04:56
http://www.55max.com/ecomm/graphics/PR_61_MN.jpg

thrillbill
June 24th, 2008, 08:31
-handsome face and great smile but looks malnourished...look at those thin arms.

June 25th, 2008, 23:14
I posted this picture a while back, and then was called away.

The long and the short of it is: Dan is a high-school graduate who is primed and ready to go to college, but lacks the necessary funds.

He is quite sure about where he wants to go: Rachapat (Teacher's College) to study P.E. I have guaranteed support for this endeavor.

Would anyone else like to help? I think it just might count as unselfish behavior, and good karma.

PM me if interested. Personally, I think he would make a great gym teacher.

June 26th, 2008, 00:56
Why can't he work the GoGo bars????

June 26th, 2008, 18:17
Asking for help to sponsor a young man hurts no one. Best of luck to him in his studies. He is indeed a handsome young man.

June 26th, 2008, 20:24
I am not sure that soliciting for money on this forum is a good idea...

Just an idea, anyhow...

June 26th, 2008, 21:07
Nothing personal Henry. I think we all know some young men who need serious help. Where does it end?

"Where does it end?" indeed. A very hard question to answer. Just to take one person (my boyfriend): he obviously needed to finish his education, but as I got to know his family, I discovered two younger sisters and a younger brother -- all of them dropouts after finishing primary school. So I told him to make them an offer and get them in school: the girls passed it by, but the younger brother is now in 7th -- no, 8th grade now -- he's doing it as a novice monk in Chiang Rai. I teach English and other subjects in my home. Many of the students are Shan who are working in the bars, but the idea is not just to make them better at their bar jobs -- the idea is that, as their English gets better and better, they can apply it anywhere. In hotels, as tour guides, etc. etc. And now here comes Dan the Man! :-) Guess I'll have to cut back on my Raspberry Daiquiries and other hobbies. :-)

I don't know where it ends. To me, it matters that it begins somewhere, and I'm not trying to piss anyone else off when I say that.

Shuee
June 26th, 2008, 22:01
nice pic thanks - just how i like em

June 26th, 2008, 23:12
Why can't he work the GoGo bars????

What makes you think he is not - his appearance does not indicate that he has finished high school that recently and he looks to have far from the expected physique for a potential PE teacher.

as a general rule, you can't post pictures of people without their permission.

Has he approved touting for funds and his picture being posted on a gay forum?

June 26th, 2008, 23:50
[quote=ebygum]Why can't he work the GoGo bars????

What makes you think he is not - his appearance does not indicate that he has finished high school that recently and he looks to have far from the expected physique for a potential PE teacher.

as a general rule, you can't post pictures of people without their permission.

Has he approved touting for funds and his picture being posted on a gay forum?[/quote:262kwxta]

Approval!!!!!!!!!!! Henry Cate does not need approval!!! :idea: He has no ethics.... he even tried sell his bf (the one with the perfect body) a while back!! Remember those pictures... huh??? :alien: :alien:

June 27th, 2008, 01:07
I posted this picture a while back, and then was called away.

The long and the short of it is: Dan is a high-school graduate who is primed and ready to go to college, but lacks the necessary funds.

He is quite sure about where he wants to go: Rachapat (Teacher's College) to study P.E. I have guaranteed support for this endeavor.

Would anyone else like to help? I think it just might count as unselfish behavior, and good karma.

PM me if interested. Personally, I think he would make a great gym teacher.

Henry - there are kids STARVING to death every day and every one of those is a million times more in need of assistance. This boy Dan, by your own admission is a high school graduate - why the hell doesn't he just get a job?
You are asking for donations for someone perfectly capable of supporting themselves right now this minute!

dave_tf-old
June 27th, 2008, 06:17
Henry strikes me as the kind of man who would help a starving child if he encountered one. In the meantime, he's encountered a young man seeking a brighter future. What's that old song say? Brighten the corner where you are.

"Where does it begin?" I like that.

June 27th, 2008, 15:58
In my opinion, you are asking other people to pay your "off-fee".... :bounce:

June 27th, 2008, 20:55
After reading fattman's opinion, I considered my appeal to be dead. And if that wasn't clear, I officially retract the idea and it is no longer on the table. In any case, Dan discovered that he just missed the deadline for this year, and so I have an entire year to salt money away in a savings account.

And, yes, I am well aware that American boys quite commonly work their way through college. But the economic situation is completely different. In America, you're probably talking about 20 hours a week at $10 per hour, or about $900 per month...say, 30,000 baht per month. Here, a high-school graduate would never come close to that sum -- we're looking at 4-6,000/mo for a high-school graduate, and that's typically six days a week. It leaves precious little time for school, as well as no money to pay for it, especially when we consider his family obligations. This is a Shan boy born in Thailand; his family is large and has almost nothing.

So: compare and contrast -- an American boy working 20 hours a week and earning about $900 per month. He may well be living at home, with his parents chipping in whatever they can. He probably drives a used car. The Thai boy will be earning about $200 per month, and his family lives far away. Not only does he have to find his own room and board, Mom and Dad will be coming after HIM for money.

But isn't all this common knowledge? Do any of you know boys who are high-school graduates, holding down full-time jobs and putting themselves through college? I would make an exception for bar-boys: they can really pull in significant funds during the high season, but usually the job plays havoc with their attempt to study -- and also to fit in with the other boys in college.

And yes, I am aware that there are needier people on the planet -- there always have to be, for posters like The Generous Scot, who gives no indication whatsoever that he has ever given one satang to any starving child at all. I've done that, via a charity, and after five years I was a bit surprised to discover that the tiny $25 I was sending to Melvin in the Philippines was (but of course!) immediately put into the family budget, whereupon his Roman Catholic parents went out and had three more children. :-0 This was not exactly what I had in mind.

So these days I keep it all MUCH closer to home, having learned a lively distrust of Big Helping Organizations.

As for wanting you to pay my off fee, rest assured that I will rattle your cage when I require that. :-)

And that just about does it for me on this subject. I mean here, on this forum, of course. The adventure with Dan the Man is apparently just beginning, and I think it's going to be a 99% friendship adventure. He's a really nice guy.

June 27th, 2008, 22:03
After reading fattman's opinion, I considered my appeal to be dead. And if that wasn't clear, I officially retract the idea and it is no longer on the table. In any case, Dan discovered that he just missed the deadline for this year, and so I have an entire year to salt money away in a savings account.

And, yes, I am well aware that American boys quite commonly work their way through college. But the economic situation is completely different. In America, you're probably talking about 20 hours a week at $10 per hour, or about $900 per month...say, 30,000 baht per month. Here, a high-school graduate would never come close to that sum -- we're looking at 4-6,000/mo for a high-school graduate, and that's typically six days a week. It leaves precious little time for school, as well as no money to pay for it, especially when we consider his family obligations. This is a Shan boy born in Thailand; his family is large and has almost nothing.

So: compare and contrast -- an American boy working 20 hours a week and earning about $900 per month. He may well be living at home, with his parents chipping in whatever they can. He probably drives a used car. The Thai boy will be earning about $200 per month, and his family lives far away. Not only does he have to find his own room and board, Mom and Dad will be coming after HIM for money.

But isn't all this common knowledge? Do any of you know boys who are high-school graduates, holding down full-time jobs and putting themselves through college? I would make an exception for bar-boys: they can really pull in significant funds during the high season, but usually the job plays havoc with their attempt to study -- and also to fit in with the other boys in college.

And yes, I am aware that there are needier people on the planet -- there always have to be, for posters like The Generous Scot, who gives no indication whatsoever that he has ever given one satang to any starving child at all. I've done that, via a charity, and after five years I was a bit surprised to discover that the tiny $25 I was sending to Melvin in the Philippines was (but of course!) immediately put into the family budget, whereupon his Roman Catholic parents went out and had three more children. :-0 This was not exactly what I had in mind.

So these days I keep it all MUCH closer to home, having learned a lively distrust of Big Helping Organizations.

As for wanting you to pay my off fee, rest assured that I will rattle your cage when I require that. :-)

And that just about does it for me on this subject. I mean here, on this forum, of course. The adventure with Dan the Man is apparently just beginning, and I think it's going to be a 99% friendship adventure. He's a really nice guy.

Henry, you are correct - I do not give any indication that I have ever given one satang to any starving child at all. I do not see that it is necessary to itemise contributions that I make to "good causes"

Here in Scotland this is called not blowing your own trumpet - a concept you obviously have considerable difficulty with

:bounce:

June 27th, 2008, 22:23

Why don't you use your own money - rather than trying to pull a Nigerian Scam here :alien: :alien:

June 27th, 2008, 22:31
Henry strikes me as the kind of man who would help a starving child if he encountered one. In the meantime, he's encountered a young man seeking a brighter future. What's that old song say? Brighten the corner where you are.

"Where does it begin?" I like that.

Touche Dave, as I do. I like it very much.

Choc Dee Henry, don't let the detractors get to you, which I am sure you wont.

George.

June 27th, 2008, 23:17
Henry, you are correct - I do not give any indication that I have ever given one satang to any starving child at all. I do not see that it is necessary to itemise contributions that I make to "good causes"

Here in Scotland this is called not blowing your own trumpet - a concept you obviously have considerable difficulty with

Well said, scottish-guy; in my own experience those who often give the least are those who talk about it the most; there are plenty of them here.

As for wanting you to pay my off fee, rest assured that I will rattle your cage when I require that.....The adventure with Dan the Man is apparently just beginning, and I think it's going to be a 99% friendship adventure.

So you were after someone to help you with the off fee. Contemptible.

dave_tf-old
June 28th, 2008, 00:17

Sense of humor missing. Lamentable

June 28th, 2008, 01:17
The adventure with Dan the Man is apparently just beginning, and I think it's going to be a 99% friendship adventure

[quote="Gone Fishing":rcg34m32]

Sense of humor missing. Lamentable[/quote:rcg34m32]

Ability to read missing. Vegetable.

June 28th, 2008, 02:55
"Blowing your own trumpet" is something that as a laconic Scot you would never do.

But, somehow (!)...your same laconic Scottishness allows you to be a troll.

You go figure it out, and stuff your kilt where the sun never shines.

June 28th, 2008, 05:06
I don't think laconicism is the behaviour that Scottish-guy is alluding to, though it is a quality many Scots demonstrate deftly. I think it is more a question of the rectitude of giving privately which is admired in many cultures, not just Scotland's.

June 28th, 2008, 05:44

:bounce:

I don't know about trumpets, but if it wasn't for that last vertebrae in our spines, I am sure Henry along with the rest of us, would most definitely be blowing something else. In which case you would then be making this post to nobody, as there would be no one here on the forum to read it. :angel9:

George.