PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Sukhothai

PeterUK
June 22nd, 2008, 11:08
Last week my Thai companion and I spent three days in Sukhothai, a first visit for both of us. We took a sprinter train from Hualampong to Phitsanulok, which entailed staring out of a filthy compartment window for five hours as the flat, unchanging green expanse of the central plains slid by тАУ rice fields, rice fields everywhere. We stopped in Phitsanulok for a night. ItтАЩs an unassuming place, like most provincial Thai towns, but we enjoyed walking along the tree-lined riverfront in the evening and browsing the night market. The hotel we stayed at was the Pailyn, three-star-ish and reasonable value at 1000B including breakfast. In the morning we had a couple of hours to kill and so went to the тАШSgt Major Thawee Folk MuseumтАЩ, which sounds rather wacky but is actually an impressively large private collection of artefacts depicting everyday life in the central region over the centuries. Some of the items were weird and wonderful though. I wished weтАЩd had more time to look at them.

In the early afternoon we went by bus to New Sukhothai, about one hourтАЩs journey away. This is where most people stay who come to visit the old city. We checked in at the Lotus Village guest house, chosen pretty much at random from my ancient guidebook. It turned out to be a happy choice. It consists of about twenty clean and traditionally furnished cabins set in a luxuriant garden with a lotus pond as its centrepiece. The main reception building has a small restaurant and communal relaxation area with cabinets of Sukhothai antiques on display. ItтАЩs owned and run by an old French guy and his Thai wife. 1200B a night for our detached cabin, breakfast not included. Somewhat to my surprise, neither the ultra-firm mattress nor the constant nocturnal croakings and clickings outside did much to impede my sleep, such as it is these days. At dawn, in addition to the predictable crowing of cocks, a dozen other varieties of bird would weigh in with their breezy contributions. I was so intrigued the first morning that I went and sat on the verandah to appreciate it all the better. Such apparent joy! Such celebration of the start of a new day! It made me feel joyful myself. From the adjoining property came the raucous cries of peacocks from time to time, like fishwives in distress. When my bleary-eyed companion joined me, he mimed the firing of a catapult at the birds. I was forced to issue a stern rebuke.

My companionтАЩs name is Dam and IтАЩve lived with him for just over a year now. HeтАЩs nineteen, young for his age, sometimes shy in company, particularly farang company, and heтАЩs as sweet-natured and genuine a guy as you could hope to meet. HeтАЩs not unduly mercenary and I receive no family-related requests for money. I love him dearly without being тАШin loveтАЩ with him; I suffer from none of the usual possessiveness or jealousy. He, for his part, showers me with more affection than I know what to do with. HeтАЩs also a sex maniac. The disparity in our ages and limited range of shared interests cause some problems, but all of them are manageable with a spirit of goodwill and compromise on both sides. I am thankful to have met him. It happened at a time when my emotional fortunes were at a low ebb and he has helped to restore me.

In appearance he is on the small side. His spiky hairdo and assorted face furniture тАУ sunglasses, decorative piercings to eyebrow, ears, nose and chin тАУ give him a punk look. His tee shirts often advertise his love of hip hop (heтАЩll burst into song at the drop of a baseball cap) and chains hang from his pants. It was amusing to note as we wandered round Phitsanulok and more so New Sukhothai how the locals reacted to the sight of him. Wide-eyed young children would tap a parentтАЩs leg and point, teenage girls eating at roadside stalls would pause to gawp with spoonfuls of food half-raised to their mouths, guys on motorcycles would almost fall off as they turned for a double-take, old people would clutch at their chests and have to be supported. тАШDarling, why does everyone here look at me all the time ,тАЩ he would ask plaintively in Thai. тАШPerhaps because theyтАЩve never seen anyone from another planet before,тАЩ I would answer.

New Sukhothai is smaller and scruffier than Phitsanulok and we didnтАЩt do much exploring beyond the busy fruit and vegetable market and shady temple grounds close to our guest house. On our first full day we hired a tuk-tuk driver, a very friendly lady, to take us to the old city and show us round. The local tuk-tuks are a cunning variation on the standard model: the driver sits at the back, thereby ensuring that in the event of a miscalculation it is most likely to be the passengers at the front who cop it. ItтАЩs twelve kilometres from New Sukhothai to the old city and it didnтАЩt take us long to get there. I always feel that visits to historical sites should be educational but am guiltily aware that I never seem to learn much. On this occasion it was really no more than a pleasant wander round a scenic park liberally dotted with trees, ponds, lawns and ruins. IтАЩm sure Dam could have thought of better ways of spending a relaxing morning (like sleeping), but he showed his usual sweet forbearance of his ding-dong farangтАЩs strange urges and at least feigned interest. The most exciting thing that happened was when a three-foot-long green snake dropped from a branch and landed a few yards in front of us before slithering away into a ditch. From my description our driver declared that the snake was harmless; another driver disagreed and said it was poisonous. IтАЩm inclined to believe the latter and that we narrowly escaped a horrible death.

After four hours of looking at a lot of different stupas from a lot of different angles, we were both, well, stupefied and decided weтАЩd had enough. It had been lightly overcast all morning but heavier cloud had built up and as we set off on the return journey the heavens opened. At this point another design fault of these back-to-front local tuk-tuks quickly became apparent, namely, that in the event of heavy rain the passengers get fucking drenched. There are polythene flaps which can be lowered and fastened at the sides but the front has to remain open to allow the driver unimpeded vision. All we had for protection was an open umbrella round our knees and a fat lot of good that did us. The return journey seemed to take many times longer than the outgoing one; it felt as if we were rounding a storm-lashed Cape of Good Hope in a rowing boat.

Needless to say, we all looked like drowned rats when we got back, including the poor driver. тАШI take you again tomorrow,тАЩ she said, smiling broadly after generous remuneration. DonтАЩt bank on it, I thought as we walked away. We spent the rest of the day lazily тАШrecuperatingтАЩ at the guest house. In the early evening Dam spotted some old ladies doing aerobics to some bouncy music at a place across the road and had a lot of fun imitating their fluttery movements. тАШHip hop for old people,тАЩ I told him.

On our second and last full day we hired mountain bikes and a female guide from a small family-run local company (Cycling Sukhothai) and set off to explore the surrounding countryside. ItтАЩs been many a long year since I rode one of those critters (I donтАЩt think we even had mountain bikes back then, just penny farthings) and so it all felt like quite an adventure. Fortunately, the land around Sukhothai vies with Holland for flatness (not a тАШmountainтАЩ in sight) and nothing too demanding was required of me. We did have to negotiate a few quite mean-looking puddles. The hairiest moment was when we crossed a narrow, rickety wooden bridge with alarmingly wide gaps between some of its planks. I have no head for heights at the best of times and my progress over that wobbly bridge was not made any easier by DamтАЩs amused, provocative mutterings of тАШOh, my God!тАЩ behind me.

We travelled along narrow country lanes which wound through small villages, we went along reddish-brown dirt tracks beside rivers, through groves of broad-leaved banana trees and between rice fields which stretched to the horizon. The weather was perfect for our endeavour: overcast, quite cool, just a faint sun poking through. We hardly saw another vehicle; all was peace and tranquillity. Coolie-hatted farm workers straightened from their labours to wave to us, villagers shouted out friendly greetings. Only the dogs eyed us warily. When during a pause for liquid replenishment Dam spotted a familiar fruit high in the branches of a tree, a smiling old lady appeared from an adjacent shack carrying a long stick which she used to knock down enough of the fruit to fill two plastic bags. She shuffled off, no payment or even thanks expected. These are the moments when one loves Thailand.

After about two and a half hours I was feeling saddle-sore and weary and we headed back. I had a lovely traditional Thai massage at the guest houseтАЩs spa room, which eased away my aches and pains. In the early evening, in what had become a routine, I sat out on the verandah of our cabin, quietly absorbing the sights and sounds of the tropical garden and the fragrance which some of the plants gave off at that time of day. I was finishing off some small bite-size banana cakes that I had bought from a roadside stall. Dam appeared, saw what I was doing, frowned and made a growling noise. I smiled back meekly as I popped the last banana cake into my mouth. One of our many running jokes is his pretending to be angry at my indulgence in too many sweet things and my pretending to be duly scolded. He joined me on the wooden bench and nestled up to my shoulder.

тАШHave you enjoyed yourself in Sukhothai?тАЩ I asked him. тАШYes, IтАЩve enjoyed myself very much.тАЩ A pause, then he continued, тАШDarling, are we going home tomorrow?тАЩ тАШYes, weтАЩre going home tomorrow.тАЩ Big grin, loud sniff-kiss and exaggerated return to nestling mode.

In the trees the birds sang on, giving the impression at least of boundless joy.

Geezer
June 22nd, 2008, 11:22
Masterful!

June 22nd, 2008, 11:42
A real treat---great observations and very well written. Thanks.

June 22nd, 2008, 11:51
My companion├п┬┐┬╜s name is Dam and I├п┬┐┬╜ve lived with him for just over a year now. He├п┬┐┬╜s nineteen, young for his age, sometimes shy in company, particularly farang company, and he├п┬┐┬╜s as sweet-natured and genuine a guy as you could hope to meet. He├п┬┐┬╜s not unduly mercenary and I receive no family-related requests for money. I love him dearly without being ├п┬┐┬╜in love├п┬┐┬╜ with him; I suffer from none of the usual possessiveness or jealousy. He, for his part, showers me with more affection than I know what to do with. He├п┬┐┬╜s also a sex maniac. The disparity in our ages and limited range of shared interests cause some problems, but all of them are manageable with a spirit of goodwill and compromise on both sides. I am thankful to have met him. It happened at a time when my emotional fortunes were at a low ebb and he has helped to restore me.

FANTASTIC! I can hardly believe that I am reading something on this forum that I can identify with. My compliments PeterUK!

dave_tf-old
June 22nd, 2008, 12:08
A well written and engaging little tale. The 'not-quite-perfect'-ness of the excursion is something I relate to very well, and made the reading that much more enjoyable. Very much enjoyed.

TrongpaiExpat
June 22nd, 2008, 13:05
PeterUK, Sawatdee's writer in residence comes through again. Thank you.

I had to look up Penny-farthing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny-farthing)

catawampuscat
June 22nd, 2008, 13:19
Very impressive and well composed..
As much as I hate to admit it, I can now understand some of the flattering comments about PeterUK over the years,
and I am forced to drop old wornout negative opinions and applaud him for an inspired thread and will try not to be
so fucking judgemental in the future..

Some of us grow better as we get older and some find the lowest common denominator.. Peter UK has moved up and on..
I really doubted PeterUK would make any progress with this Thai lessons and he again proved me completely wrong and
I can be a big man and admit I was way off base and missed the plot... bravo PeterUK!

Hmmm
June 22nd, 2008, 13:52
Great story Peter. Enjoyed the book too.

Brad the Impala
June 22nd, 2008, 14:31
Much enjoyed, and I hope that Dam(through your writing) becomes a feature in all our lives.

June 22nd, 2008, 15:34
A very interesting piece which bought back a few memories.

I've visited Sukhothai and Sri Satchanalai a couple of times also having stopped at Phitsanulok though the last time was some years ago now and I can't remember anything about the hotel. Indeed several small towns that I stayed in have all blended in my memory to become one typical town with a temple and bit of river frontage. I remember watching a rowing contest in one.

I always find it a bit of a worry taking a companion on such trips as I can never fully relax as I'm convinced that they will be bored. I love ruins and will happily wander about all day but I'm very aware that others don't always share my interest. "Nah beua mai?" (are you bored?) becomes a frequent question on my part.

My boyfriend is supremely tolerant and never complains and will tell taxi drivers that "Mr Jon likes temples" as we head off for the next one.

I'm sure we visited far more temples than he was really interested in in Cambodia, at Christmas, but he never said anything or showed any signs of being fed up as long as we had regular meals (I forget to eat if I'm at a particularly fine site and am quite happy to eat just once a day which doesn't go well with ANY Thai I've ever met).

I bought him a digital camera and this was a huge success. Once he got the hang of it he would go off on his own and it was great to see him taking trouble to compose his shots. Initially he would stand next to me and take a photo every time I did and then proudly show me the preview on the camera. But he soon became independent which gave him something to do. The only problem is that I can't get him to understand about the rechargeable batteries which he keeps throwing away. He has the worst memory of anyone I've ever met and even when he's understood something it will have gone by the next day.

I can identify with your description of walking around with an attention grabbing young man which can be a mixed blessing in some more out-of-way places. It's not something that happens with my boyfriend though, as except for a bit of henna on his hair, he blends in with the locals and he is beginning to look his age now (32).

bing
June 22nd, 2008, 18:25
Kudos to you, Peter. Enjoyed every word.

June 22nd, 2008, 21:04
with the subject title, I thought this were some notes from the poster staying at five star Sukhothai Hotel.

yawn.....

TrongpaiExpat
June 22nd, 2008, 22:35
10 years ago I stayed at the Pailyn Hotel in Phitsanulok. I got a very strange room with a window that looked into the adjacent room. I though it was a window looking outside and went over and opened the curtains to see a middle aged Chinese couple standing there and looking back at me. Both sides had curtains and we both pulled them shut.

I then connected with an very cute samalor boy who peddled my ass around town and over to that outdoor folk museum that you mentioned. He had great legs.

There used to be a gay bar in the basement of the Pailyn called Country Road or something like that but it was closed when I was there. I was told open only on the weekends.

June 22nd, 2008, 22:48
I then connected with an very cute samalor boy who peddled my ass around town

Peddled or pedalled??

Peter UK,
without any doubt the best travelogue I have read here in a long time. Thanks.

June 22nd, 2008, 23:37
Sukhothai:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Thai_01.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Thai_02.jpg

And one at nearby Si Satchanalai where the links to the Khmer architecture in Cambodia were very clear.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Thai_03.jpg

And this was the rowing that was going on at Pitsanulok:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Thai_04.jpg

If you've "done" Ayutthaya" and enjoyed it then the Sukhothai area makes an interesting longer excursion.

Brad the Impala
June 22nd, 2008, 23:45
Peter, I think that a link to the relevant page at Amazon, from which your book is available, would be appreciated by the readers of this forum.

Bob
June 22nd, 2008, 23:53
Great story, Peter, and, as usual, a lot of fun to read due to your writing style and humor.

You often describe the same scenes I experience elsewhere. The "I'll be nice but what the hell
is that" look directed toward falangs in unexpected places and the style of Thai boys who dress
like we did when we were 19 (the "this is who I am" look sometimes sprinkled with the "let's see
if this pisses off the humans on this strange planet" look).

Nice to see you stop to smell the roses, eat the banana cakes, and snuggle with aliens. I need
to do that more often.

Smiles
June 22nd, 2008, 23:59
Three points of remembrance of Sukhothai:

(1) the gigantic Buddha in Wat Sri Chum in Sukhothai Park ... approached on foot in the late afternoon when the sun is heading for bed, from a far distance, the almost-hidden Buddha hits one right in the gut with it's very substantial size, especially as it's in a room made especially for it alone, and the fit is tight.

You can see what I mean in this photo. (Took this off the net. Didn't have a digital back then, and many of my photos of Sukhothai are not scanned)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Personal/srichum.jpg

(2) Getting eaten alive by mosquitoes having dinner down by the river. These puppies were ravenous and took no prisoners ... we headed for the hills, dinner half-downed and abandoned:

Mozzies ~ 1
Thai guy & farang ~ 0

(3) This sweet and sexy bicycle taxi driver who ferried us all over town one morning. What a smile this guy had, and I was lucky to turn around just at the right moment. Secret lustful thoughts were left secret :blackeye:
Sitting there being peddled around New Sukhothai but this most handsome of Thai guys was a small pleasure not easily forgotten.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Personal/1_Sukothai.jpg

Thanks for the excellent story Peter. More when you're in the mood, please.

Cheers ...

June 23rd, 2008, 02:00
DELETED

piston10
June 23rd, 2008, 06:11
Peter, a wonderful piece of writing about you and Dam, as well as Sukhothai. It restores one's confidence in the possibilities. And such delightful wit!

By the way, isn't Smiles consistent in the sort of guys he likes? I (who have never, of course, met Suphot, only seen the photos Smiles has posted of him) at first glance thought the bicycle taxi driver was the early Suphot - though I'm sure the differences are clear enough to those who know him.

I was sorry to hear that Smiles was 'peddled' around Sukhothai. Short of money? Did your pimp get a good price for you? (Same point that Gone Fishing makes about Trongpai, I'm afraid; but I think we ought to get this one sorted out. Or, an afterthought: is this a North American spelling?)

SR, your wit misfires. It was not Smiles who didn't have a wide-angle lens, it was whoever posted the photo on the internet.

Got to keep to the facts on a forum like this, you know.

TrongpaiExpat
June 23rd, 2008, 12:04
I was sorry to hear that Smiles was 'peddled' around Sukhothai. Short of money? Did your pimp get a good price for you? (Same point that Gone Fishing makes about Trongpai, I'm afraid; but I think we ought to get this one sorted out. Or, an afterthought: is this a North American spelling?)

Spelling was not on my mind when he peddled me around and when I said I 'connected' with him latter, I was using a polite verb.

PeterUK
June 23rd, 2008, 15:02
Glad y'all liked it, I had a ball writing it. Thank you Kun Jon and Smiles for supplying the photos and thank you Brad for inviting me to blow my own trumpet! My book of short stories set in Thailand ('If Truth Be Told') is available by internet at asiabooks.com or spicemag.net and in Thailand itself 'at all good bookshops' (as they say). Catawampuscat, I remember your comments very well and, although it wasn't your intention, they helped me a lot. In the early days of learning Thai I often felt like giving up and one of the stratagems I used to keep myself going was to think, 'Dammit, I'll show that guy on the messageboard, what does he know.' So perhaps I should be thanking you too for that - I will thank you for your gracious post in this thread.

Brad the Impala
June 23rd, 2008, 16:42
Peter's collection of Short Stories can be purchased online here:

www.asiabooks.com/browse/bookinfo.aspx?ProID=9789747350678 (http://www.asiabooks.com/browse/bookinfo.aspx?ProID=9789747350678)

bao-bao
July 1st, 2008, 06:26
Thank you for sharing another of your entertaining observational pieces about Thailand, Peter. You posted it while I was there in Thailand (where I rarely check email or the forum) so it was a fine reminder of my trip this afternoon as I gingerly picked my way through the past couple of weeks of posts.

Good of Brad to post the link to your book "If Truth Be Told - and other tales of Thailand", too. I was pleased to see it featured on an end cap at Asia Books while I was there. It's an interesting read that I was sorry to see come to an end.

Hopefully our paths will cross one day. Until then, I'll look forward to more from you, Dodger and others who make the time to share about the many other things in Thailand besides clubs and boys... although in fairness I guess my last story was the one about visiting a gogo boy's room.

Who knows... it might get me off of my butt and shame me into posting more of my stories, too.

Thanks again!

adman5000
July 1st, 2008, 07:51
I eagerly look for great posts like this one and almost missed it. Thanks for taking the time to write about your experiences with language and impressions many of us can identify with. A joy to read and the aspect of this forum that keeps me as a reader.