PDA

View Full Version : Some facts about the new owners of Memories and other issues

June 19th, 2008, 20:43
There have been rumours circulating for quite a few weeks now, that Memories Bar was going to be sold. There was even a post today on another board, reporting that not only had it been sold, but the new owners had actually signed the lease yesterday. I can confirm that this report is totally accurate and that the lease for the bar, was signed by the new owners yeterday.

Those new owners were I can inform you, absolutely gob smacked when I informed them last night, of the post I had seen disclosing their signing of the lease. This was for the reason they explained to me, that the ink on the document they had signed, would at the time I revealed to them that the post had been made, barely have had the time in which to dry.

You would have gathered I am sure by now, that by the surprise shown in my revealing the news of that post to them, the two guys that will be taking over Memories, are most definitely not from Pattaya. Furthermore, neither did they posses any knowledge whatsoever before learning from me today, of how highly efficient the bongo drums used here in Pattaya are, as a way of communicating news of all the latest events that occur, such as the one of them signing that lease and in getting that news, to those among the gay community. I explained to them both, that the power and speed of those drums, are so fucking incredibly and amazingly fast in communicating these events, that on occasions, some are even reported before they actually happen. http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/4175/whistlingqd4.gif (http://imageshack.us)

The new ownerтАЩs names by the way are Ian and Leigh. For the benefit of my colonial cousins here, let me say that Leigh is neither pronounced Lay, or Lye, but L e e , in the exact same way that it is pronounced in the case of those well known fellow Americans of yours, Marvin, Van Cleef and Harvey Oswald.

Normally in cases where I am describing two guys so that I am able to give a description of what they look like to others, who have absolutely no idea of what they look like having never seen them before and one that is also good enough, for them to be able to clearly differentiate who is who between the two, when they do see them, I usually do this most of the time by saying which of them in my opinion, is the better looking of the two. However in Ian and Leigh's case, as they are equally as ugly as one another, let me tell you instead so that you will know which one is which when you see them, that Leigh is the one who has by far, the most hair upon his head of the two. :angel9:

Joking aside, I can honestly say after having had the pleasure of their company on a few occasions this past week, occasions where I have shared some long and interesting conversations with them both, I have found them to be extremely nice guys. They are also ones that are very down to earth as well and who made this very clear to me by way of those talks we had, that they realise they will only get what they are hoping to get out of their new bar, by being prepared to put the amount of effort in that's needed to attain it. From some of the ideas they have told me they want to implement in the bar over time, I think they will be very successful. I say this mostly, because the ideas which they told me of are very different from what anyone else is currently doing in any of the other bars.

I think it is important to inform everyone, that although Ian and Leigh officially became the new owners of Memories yesterday, because they will be moving all of their personal possessions down to Pattaya from Bangkok, where they have been residing for several years, they have asked the previous owner Mike, to stay on and run the bar, in order to give them the time they believe will be necessary for them to be able to do all of this and complete their move to Pattaya. Mike has agreed and seems happy enough to be able to help them do this.

I thought that this last piece of news was highly relevant, especially to those among the regulars of Sunee who would have no doubt been wondering to themselves, why Mike was still running the bar if the story was true, that he had sold the place. Even more of a good reason in my opinion for revealing this news to you, is in the hope that the majority of you will give Ian and Leigh the chance to actually move in and take control of their bar. And in doing so allowing them before they find themselves on the receiving end of derogatory remarks made by certain "Queens" among the "Royalty" of Sunee, who will complain in the usual disdainful way for which they are famous for and who will also be heard muttering to each other, as well as anybody else prepared and willing to listen, comments such as the following ones:

That those new owners of Memories, don't seem to be doing an awful lot to change the bar from what it looked like before and hasnтАЩt everyone noticed how they havenтАЩt done a single thing yet to employ new boys. They will also be discussing with each other all of the faults they will inevitably find in both of them, without even having spent at this stage, one single minute in either ones company. In addition to this, they will of course tell each other of the essential things which in their opinion any bar owner must be aware of and needs to know, in order to even be able to stand a chance of having and running a successful bar and which these new guys of course, would have quite clearly shown to them in the first 48 hours of running their bar, they are obviously lacking in the knowledge of any of them.

I believe that rather than this normal type of crap that is sometimes said about new bar owners, if instead and especially in Ian and LeighтАЩs case, they are given a chance, as well as and probably even more important, the time to be able to accomplish the targets they have set for themselves, I believe these two guys will prove themselves to be a very welcome addition to the community of Sunee, as well as being an asset to it as well.

I also believe that the majority of members here, especially the ones who believe that decency is important, will not only know that the above does happen, has happened as well as agreeing that no better example could be offered as evidence, than in the case of the way some tried to destroy the very person that these two guys purchased their bar from. They did this because among other things this person no doubt did to upset them, he had the audacity to place different furniture in his own bar, which was considered among those he seemed to be upsetting for a multitude of reasons of which he could not understand one of them, were considered to be nowhere near as comfortable as the furniture that had been in his bar before. How very dare he try and stamp his own personality on a bar that he had paid for. The very cheek of him in doing this.

He was later and before he had even been in the bar for three weeks, adjudged to be guilty of a far more heinous crime than the above one, when a verdict was passed down on him by his jury, that he was guilty of lacking a personality that was even remotely similar, to either of the of two farangs who had become the darlings of so many that had patronized their bar, by having been so popular with them all and who had been part of a three man act whom had run the bar prior to him having bought it from them, who were always going to be by the customer base they had built up, an impossible act for anyone to follow no matter who they may have been.

Come on now, I mean to say, the utter contempt of the man for failing to at least make an attempt to try and emulate the previous owners, which secretly some were wishing he would do and which they believed would ultimately result in him becoming, an exact cardboard cutout copy of them. How very fucking dare he, for being so selfish in wanting to run his bar in the way which he wanted to. He deserved to be taken from his bar immediately that the fact was discovered that he wanted to run the bar in his own right, and he should have been strung up from the nearest tree. My warped sense of humour may possibly be responsible, for making some chuckle in the way I have described those events above, but I guarantee and will bet anyone any amount of money that I am right, that my humour would not amuse the particular person in question, that went through all of the above, not even one tiny little bit.

For the record, my comments above should in no way be considered by anyone, as intended on my part to be derogatory toward the two well know farang that used to run Memories. I have only got to know one of them very recently and he is someone, that I not only like very much, but also have the utmost of respect for.

So having now hopefully established the fact, that such things as described by me above do go on a lot of the time when bars acquire new owners and is definitely not, something that happens in my imagination, because believe me, I can give a lot more examples than just the above, I believe I am now at a very good point in my post to inform everyone, that although Ian and Leigh are now the owners of Memories, they will not be officially taking over the running of it , until the 27th of June.

At this time, they will discharge Mike from having any further responsibilities where Memories is concerned, as well as any further involvement in the running of the bar. Whilst as I have said Mike is very happy to be able to help Ian and Leigh out until this time, I bet that it's a day he will be extremely happy to see and one in all honesty, if the truth were known, that he probably cant wait for to arrive.

I would also like to inform you that on the 27th, Ian and Leigh have decided that they would much prefer, as the new kids on the block, to ease their way gently into the community of Sunee, as opposed to doing so by way of a trumpeted fanfare; something that by having a Grand Opening they believe, is exactly what they would get without any question whatsoever. In view of this, they have made a decision, one I believe to be a very sensible one on their part, to have a soft opening on this date, rather than having the full Monty of a Grand Opening one.

Do yourselves a favour and go in and see Ian and Leigh on the 27th and introduce yourselves to them. I think that there will be more than a good chance if you do, that you will find them to be just as much of nice guys, I have found them to be.

Just for the record, as I know the way some minds work here and how cynical they can be, I would like to make it perfectly clear, that I have no personal interests in Memories and no secret three way partnerships exists. Do you honestly believe I would be insane enough to ever again be involved in having anything to do with owning another bar? I would also like to say that both Ian and Leigh were previously unknown to me and I had never met either of them, prior to having done so for the first time about eight days ago.

I would like to share with you all, something that I advised Ian and Leigh of, before leaving them in their bar last night. I told them not to pay any attention to those that will be only too eager to tell them, no more so than those who live in the City known as the "Big Mango" and the one they are now leaving behind, that there are only negative things about living in Pattaya. I assured them both, as I hope those of you that live in Pattaya will also do when and if you meet them, that there are many things that are positive about living here as well. I told them never to forget, that the greatest and most positive thing as well as being the most wonderful thing of them all about living here in Pattaya, is the fact that it is extremely close to Thailand. :iconbiggrin:

Finally in closing, I would like to say that anyone who thinks this post of mine is rather a long one, should take into consideration, that as well as having addressed issues in this post I have believed for a long while now needed to be addressed, as well as being ones I have never personally witnessed being raised before, it is also very much a welcoming post to two guys, who will not only be coming to live here in Pattaya for the first time, but will also be ones that everyone of the members here will get a chance to meet at some time or another, should they so wish to do so.

In addition to those points above, as it was me that took the time that was both necessary and needed, in which to compile this post, type this post and than edit this post, before I was finally able after having done all of those things, to be able to at last hit the submit post button, I don't really give one Eartha Kitt or two flying Friar Tucks, because it's of absolutely no significance to me whatsever what you think about the length of my post, as the choice of whether or not to read my post, was one that was always: Up To You. :p

Choc Dee guys. My very best to the both of you, in wishing you every success for your new venture.

George.

June 19th, 2008, 21:05
welcome ian & leigh. enjoy the ride!

MiniMee
June 20th, 2008, 02:09
Well said. Oogleman.

dave_tf-old
June 20th, 2008, 06:29
Pattaya, for the benefit of Ian and Leigh and also for the casual reader, is indeed very close to Thailand.

I think it is extremely generous of the Thai to allow residents (and even visitors) to Pattaya to pass freely into their country without Visa. Amazing Thailand.

June 20th, 2008, 07:18
Wot a long introduction :bom:

Not bloody arf it was. However, I bet you was able to read it a lot quicker than the time it took for me to write it, let alone the time it took to complete the rest of the post. Don't even go there. aaaaaaaahhhhhhh. :geek: I just hope that the intro maintained your interest enough, to want to continue with the rest of the post. I say that, as to let you into a little secret, it was touch and go whether or not I did for a minute or so ;)

Hope these guys successfully survive the rigors of Pattaya business....
I am certain fattman, that Ian and Leigh will be ok and have no doubt at all that they will survive. I didn't make any reference to their ages in my post, as there wasn't any need for me to do so. I can reveal to you now though, that they are both still relatively young and will therefore have the energy needed, that the bar will take from them in running it.

They are both level headed guys and as I said in my post, very down to earth as well. I don't believe they will be looking when they get into the bar, to be on a one hundred meter sprint in order to achieve the targets they have set for themselves in five minutes, they will be looking to achieve them over a period of time and will look upon the commitment they have made, more as a marathon, I am pretty sure of that.

I am trying to persuade one of them to register and become a member here, as I believe it will be a good idea for him to do so, as well as the bar. If I am successful in getting him to do so, let's hope that he is still talking to me three months down the road as a result of my bringing him here, as well as not having barred me from Memories. :iconbiggrin:

Cheers fattman,

George.

June 20th, 2008, 13:21
"I am trying to persuade one of them to register and become a member here, as I believe it will be a good idea for him to do so, as well as the bar."

Based on the past history of every business owner who has posted here they should be advised not only not to ever post here but to never even read the threads. That is unless of course they are a couple of eager masochists who will enjoy being demonised, slandered, libeled and generally shat upon by the resident, tired, misery loving, bitchy old queens that inhabit this board and Pattaya.

Otherwise best of luck to them.

June 20th, 2008, 14:26
Dear Ian and Leigh (L E E),

good luck with your venue.
I hope this will be a greater succes than other recently openend bars, but as you will learn: On this forum there are a lot of experts always willing to help out with advise, comments and other crap.
Watch out, because the gay community and especially the gay community active in here can make and break you, whithout even visiting your bar.

Again, good luck and follow your heart!!!

June 20th, 2008, 14:53
if they are depending on George for advice :compress: As he has said he was the "quickest" to open and abandon a bar know in Pattaya history. But that actually shows that he is much much smarter than most :blackeye:

Thank you very much George for taking the time to write a wonderfully long post. I will see if I can get the "Cliff notes" version of your post.

I too want to welcome Ian and Lee (might as well spell it as it is pronounced) also and wish them the very best. It is great to see Sunee is attracting new owners.

bing
June 20th, 2008, 18:10
Since you have the inside scoop, there is the question about the future of OUD. Will he stay at Memories under new ownership?

June 20th, 2008, 18:47
I thought Oud left Memories when he sold it some time ago. Isn't he now running Oud's cafe?

Geezer
June 20th, 2008, 20:07
I thought Oud left Memories when he sold it some time ago. Isn't he now running Oud's cafe?
Exactly! I just had a Pulled Pork Sandwich, Barbeque Baked Beans, and a Malted Milk Shake at OudтАЩs Caf├й. PavlovтАЩs dog has nothing on me.
(In case you didnтАЩt have Psychology 101, thatтАЩs a positive comment.)

ceejay
June 21st, 2008, 01:48
PavlovтАЩs dog has nothing on me.

Don't you believe it - Pavlov had security CCTV in the lab :hiding:

bing
June 21st, 2008, 03:03
Ah, as soon as you mentioned OUD's Cafe, it reminded me of the difference between Memories, to which OUD was associated and the the new Place across from Top Man. The sight of Memories triggered the response of OUD working there. No problem, just a senior moment.

June 28th, 2008, 05:06
Just a reminder that Ian and Leigh officially take over the running of Memories from today. Saturday 28th.

Choc Dee Guys,

George.

June 28th, 2008, 08:38
Hiya George,
Lovely chat we has the th night, and a pleasure meeting you. Your post is directive, but l do wonder whom the fly on the wall is, to speak, and spread so quickly...(lol).
I had to return to the UK, as of bad health.
Speak soon, and a good relevant post.
Didnt get chance to say goodbyse to Mike as l went so quick.

PP

June 28th, 2008, 13:50
Last night (Friday, June 27) there was a birthday party for Mike who has now sold memories to Ian and Leigh. Sausage rolls catered by Googie. Mike said he made the rest of the food himself. They had a band set up across the street for entertainment and even a parade of police on motorbikes that circled the Sunee Plaza several times :cheers: .

I saw Traveler Jim and Spice Magazine there, but most of the other balloon chasers I know were nowhere in site!

Well Happy Birthday Mike and good luck to the new owners.

catawampuscat
June 28th, 2008, 19:02
Memories was busy and full of customers when I passed by..
I stopped to listen to the Thai Elvis impersonator
and while he looked shinny and his hair was slick, it made me wonder why anyone would hire him as he was rather
painful to listen to and I only stayed for a minute before fleeing for safety down the soi.
The only positive note to the Elvis impersonator was it was the first time I have seen a male impersonating another male
but he should have tried lip-syncing.

The food looked delicious and there was a big spread but I had already dined..
Choke dee to the new owners and one final
bit of unsolicited advise is to increase the lighting a bit..
Maybe some like the dark moody lighting but I would try adding some lite and brightening up the place, not that anybody asked.... :cat:

June 28th, 2008, 19:20
Choke dee to the new owners and one final
bit of unsolicited advise is to increase the lighting a bit..
Maybe some like the dark moody lighting but I would try adding some lite and brightening up the place, not that anybody asked.... :cat:

I am sure that Ian and Leigh will listen to what everyone has to say and then as is their right as the owners, they will make the decisions as to what they wish to do with the bar. Although Memories is on a much smaller scale, Like Rome, don't expect it to be built in a day. As far as nobody asking for your advice goes cat, when did that fact ever stop you giving it? http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/4955933.gif

George.

June 28th, 2008, 19:55
Frankly, I don't give a shit who owns what bar.
Who the owners are and what their background is seems totally irrelevant to me. Furthermore, I don't want to be bothered by the owners coming up to me at the bar or in a restaurant and interrupting my night with a lot of pointless drivel. Why do some people try to make out that they are like film stars just because they own a gay bar?
There are now two places I don't bother going to, one in Pattaya and one in Bangkok, because the owners insist on talking to me whilst I am trying to eat. Strangely enough, the owners share the same name!
I go to bars that give good service, reasonable prices and have attractive staff.

June 28th, 2008, 20:30
There are now two places I don't bother going to, one in Pattaya and one in Bangkok, because the owners insist on talking to me whilst I am trying to eat. Strangely enough, the owners share the same name!

I can't think of any bar owners in Pattaya named Bwana. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/whistling.gif

George.