PDA

View Full Version : Oud's Cafe

Dodger
June 16th, 2008, 17:52
I saw the thread entitled "Reminder" and thought it would be nice to include the name of the place in the title to broaden the discussion about "Oud's Cafe" a bit

For those who are not aware, Oud was the former owner of "Memories" in Sunee Plaza, which, almost immediately after opening 7 years ago, became the most popular farang meeting place in the Plaza. Memories not only served as a central gathering place for visiting and resident farangs, it also gained a reputation for being the friendliest and best managed beer bar/cafe in the Plaza, or for that fact, Pattaya.

After Oud sold Memories, I watched that entire soi turn dark, with fewer lights, fewer farangs, and just a dark void where Memories used to glow. No offense to the guy who purchased the old Memories, but the place went immediately down-hill to resemble the back porch of some senior citizens home with a few bored looking people staring at the walls as if they were already dead. It should have been renamed "The Mortuary"...not a pretty sight.

Oud really didn't have a Grand Opening, nor did he need one. After completing the restoration of his new bar, which, for those who haven't seen it, is fabulous, he simply opened the doors. One hour later there wasn't a seat to be had and the place was filled was smiles and the sounds of laughter and people having fun. That's what made the old Memories famous - and that's what will put Oud's new place on the map.

Jack and Ralph were there which made the lights shine even brighter. For those of you who haven't had the opportunity to meet these guys, all I can say is you're missing something really special. They have supported Oud from the beginning and add a lot of the magic that made the first Memories so successful.

Great drinks...new friendships...warmth and hospitality...and great looking boys...great combination. I did notice that none of the boys had those little titties so hope that Oud can do some recruiting soon...555.

June 16th, 2008, 22:23
I'd like to add that he has great sandwiches...burgers,pulled pork, chicken w/cheese and bacon, and homemade baked beans and chili. Very reasonably priced.

catawampuscat
June 16th, 2008, 23:32
I strolled up this soi tonite and was pleasantly surprised to see Memories Bar full of farangs and boys having fun. I understand Memories is
changing hands next month but their business looked excellent tonite.
Up 2 You (sic) also quite busy and they always have a large number of hosts but the one with the high falsetto voice unnerves me. Busy as well
tonite.
Ouds was not busy tonite but a few regulars (only two weeks and there are many regulars) hanging in there including oogleman..

Business is better on this soi now that Ouds has opened and it helps all the bars.
Forest Bar was very quiet..

Big nite tomorrow when Euro Boys opens and Villa Rouge and Nice Boys also to open tomorrow or next nite.. :cat:

jinks
June 17th, 2008, 00:57
Forest Bar was very quiet..

Surprised ? while the cats away... (not you !)

The owner will be back soon.

jomtien
June 17th, 2008, 04:10
[quote="catawampusca
Up 2 You (sic)

uhhhh.....what is "sic" about "up 2 You" ?

catawampuscat
June 17th, 2008, 11:11
As I understand it, Jomtien, when one spells something and it may be incorrect, if you use (sic), it clarifies
that it is a possible/probable spelling error..
Perchance someone more informed can explain better..

Are you the same Jomtien who adds spice and punch to the two blogmeisters on a minor gaythailand forum?

:cat:

June 17th, 2008, 12:05
Sic is a Latin word meaning "thus", "so", "as such", or "just as that". In writing, it is placed within square brackets and usually italicizedтАФ[sic]тАФto indicate that an incorrect or unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation, and/or other preceding quoted material has been reproduced verbatim from the quoted original and is not a transcription error

The word sic is sometimes erroneously thought to be an acronym from any of a vast number of phrases such as "spelling is correct", "same in copy", "spelling intentionally conserved", "said in context", or "sans intention comique" (French: without comic intent). These "backronyms" are all false etymologies.
Mea Culpa, missed out the link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic)

There you are Cat, now you know how to use it correctly. You need to quote something before you use it.

cottmann
June 17th, 2008, 12:09
Sic is a Latin word meaning "thus", "so", "as such", or "just as that". In writing, it is placed within square brackets and usually italicizedтАФ[sic]тАФto indicate that an incorrect or unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation, and/or other preceding quoted material has been reproduced verbatim from the quoted original and is not a transcription error

The word sic is sometimes erroneously thought to be an acronym from any of a vast number of phrases such as "spelling is correct", "same in copy", "spelling intentionally conserved", "said in context", or "sans intention comique" (French: without comic intent). These "backronyms" are all false etymologies.

There you are Cat, now you know how to use it correctly. You need to quote something before you use it.

From "A Dictionary of Modern American Usage," by Bryan A. Garner (OUP 1998), perhaps?

TrongpaiExpat
June 17th, 2008, 12:35

From "A Dictionary of Modern American Usage," by Bryan A. Garner (OUP 1998), perhaps?

Aha Google and cut and paste. Only if that was available in my high school and collage days, I bet now you can google and then cut, paste and plagiarize a whole term paper in less than 10 min.

Back on topic, the pulled pork is excellent. The only place that I have found that is comparable is 'The Roadhouse' on Suriwong/Rama 4 in Bangkok. I suggested (like they need suggestions) Oud's expand the menu to include chef salads and a decent corned beef on rye.

TOQ
June 17th, 2008, 14:46
Back on topic, the pulled pork is excellent. The only place that I have found that is comparable is 'The Roadhouse' on Suriwong/Rama 4 in Bangkok. I suggested (like they need suggestions) Oud's expand the menu to include chef salads and a decent corned beef on rye.

Now that has my vote :cheers:

john

jomtien
June 17th, 2008, 15:54
As I understand it, Jomtien, when one spells something and it may be incorrect, if you use (sic), it clarifies

Are you the same Jomtien who adds spice and punch to the two blogmeisters on a minor gaythailand forum?

That was my understanding of how 'sic' was used. But I'm assuming a deliberately named business such as "Up 2 You" or "Door 2 Door" and the like wouldn't fall under that. Or perhaps it wood (sic).

June 17th, 2008, 17:08

That was my understanding of how 'sic' was used. But I'm assuming a deliberately named business such as "Up 2 You" or "Door 2 Door" and the like wouldn't fall under that. Or perhaps it wood (sic).

I quite agree with you "jomtien", it woodn't (sic). Even more interesting is the fact that this is only your fourth post in as many years.
Cheers.

June 17th, 2008, 18:02

I quite agree with you "jomtien", it woodn't (sic). Even more interesting is the fact that this is only your fourth post in as many years.
Cheers.

Not as interesting perhaps than the fact that two thirds of jomtien's posts in those four years, have been in reply to one particular member here. I wonder what possible conclusions one may be able to draw from that fact. http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/4175/whistlingqd4.gif (http://imageshack.us)

By the way, I say two thirds, as there are only records of three of those four posts in the search engine.

Cheers,

George

jomtien
June 17th, 2008, 19:38
Not as interesting perhaps than the fact that two thirds of jomtien's posts in those four years, have been in reply to one particular member here. I wonder what possible conclusions one may be able to draw from that fact.

George

Hmmm. There are no conclusions to be drawn from that. I was curious about how 'sic' was used, so i asked. If it had been your post, I would have been asking you. Simple. Only a few posts in years because I avoid long drawn out fights where things just get boring and silly.

June 17th, 2008, 19:57
Not as interesting perhaps than the fact that two thirds of jomtien's posts in those four years, have been in reply to one particular member here. I wonder what possible conclusions one may be able to draw from that fact.

George

Only a few posts in years because I avoid long drawn out fights where things just get boring and silly.

As I do too jomtien. I never allow myself to get involved in those type of fights as you would have no doubt noticed. :angel9:

Cheers for your reply,

George.

June 17th, 2008, 20:02

George

Hmmm. There are no conclusions to be drawn from that. I was curious about how 'sic' was used, so i asked. If it had been your post, I would have been asking you. Simple. Only a few posts in years because I avoid long drawn out fights where things just get boring and silly.

"jomtien" may your tribe increase. You have picked your battles carefully and I hope you continue to do so. I will try to follow your excellent example.

jinks
June 17th, 2008, 22:16
You have picked your battles carefully and I hope you continue to do so. I will try to follow your excellent example.

This is a continuation........ not new :cyclopsani:

American Teacher-old
June 21st, 2008, 09:02
Back to the ORIGINAL topic...

Oud has once again done a wonderful job creating a comfortable and aesthetically pleasing environment. His sparkling presence, quality cocktails and excellent sandwiches will most certainly be a big boon to this area.

Well done Oud... and best of luck for a prosperous opening year!

AT

June 22nd, 2008, 11:23
I have been about 8 times now and love it there. Quite a few under 50`s are regulars.

June 22nd, 2008, 12:10
I have been about 8 times now and love it there. Quite a few under 50`s are regulars.

you mean under 50's going on 70's :colors: :cheers:

catawampuscat
June 22nd, 2008, 12:57
Where are the PC police when you need them?
The ageists are out in force and now if you are older than an age they pick, something is wrong with you.

The obsession with age is getting tiresome as some can only think about the underage and others now obsessing with the
overage.

The world is full of places where young gay men under 40 y.o. abound, but there are certain places where gay men past 40 or 50 or
70 y.o. can enjoy the fullness of gay sexuality without the Western world's prejudices and preconceptions about older gay men as sexless
old codgers who can't remember their last boner.. It ain't so..

Well, a big fuck you to the sad assholes who think belittling their elders makes them more of a man.. It just makes them more of
an asshole and why are they in places like Pattaya in their prime years paying for sex when they can attract hot men with their manly
youthful looks.. Because, they are damaged goods with low self esteem and often are chasing the youngest lads, in their middle-aged
crisis's.. Pedos come in all ages and many are well under 40 y.o., with some even much younger..

Aren't :idea: we overdue for someone to start up with how fat everyone is or bald or crippled? Only the good die young but hey it is a hell of a great
place to grow old and still blow your loads like you fantasized when you were decades younger, in my humble opinion of course... :cat:

June 22nd, 2008, 14:39
I suppose they will all top themselves when they hit 50 cat - i wont!

Geezer
June 22nd, 2008, 14:52
As you can see from my choice of a handle, I am quite sensitive concerning my advanced age.

Apparently there are some here who do not wish to grow old. It is easily avoided. One must simply die young -- care to volunteer?

My gait is slow, my countenance is wizened, my posture is stooped and, before my physician diagnosed a blood sugar problem, my temperament when hungry was irascible.

Every system seems to be deteriorating save the most important one which, with no chemical encouragement, responds promptly to the sight of a muscle boy or a cute face.

I relish my retirement in Thailand. If an ageist has a problem with that he had better learn to deal with it, because the only way I am leaving is up the chimney at a wat.

American Teacher-old
June 22nd, 2008, 17:54
Dear Cat and Geezer,

I think your responses were right on target. Now mind you, I don't think any type of harassment or discrimination is based in logic. Like any bias -- it is all about fear. And though I haven't seen Cat in person, I do know first hand that Geezer is a very handsome and distinguished gentleman. My guess is that any Thai or Foreigner (regardless of age, look or size) would consider it an honor to spend time in his presence. I know I do.

Furthermore, hatred such as this poster's nonsense is misplaced. It's a fact that the majority of men in Thailand are "mature" - and if he doesn't like it -- he is certainly in the wrong place. Now, while I consider myself on the "younger" end here -- though by no means would I be considered young anywhere else ;) -- I still have friendships and relationships with people that cross all boundaries of age, creed, sex, color, religion....you name it. People are just people -- some good, some bad, some old, some young, some bigoted and some not. That's the world.

'nuff said.

AT

Brad the Impala
June 22nd, 2008, 18:33
It's a fact that the majority of men in Thailand are "mature"

Hardly! Neither in Pattaya or Thailand.

puckered_penguin
June 22nd, 2008, 19:37
[quote="American Teacher":12fpr1p5]

It's a fact that the majority of men in Thailand are "mature"

Hardly! Neither in Pattaya or Thailand.[/quote:12fpr1p5]

I suspect he mean't the majority of retirees are mature lol.

June 23rd, 2008, 04:04
Huge big fight again near ouds- not sure who was involved or why as kept wel out of the way.