PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trip to the Phillipines

gearguy
June 16th, 2008, 09:45
I'm thinking about a trip to the Phillipines next time I travel over to Asia.

Anyone have any comments on places to go, places to stay, bars, etc?

The "silom" of the phillipines appears to be the intersection of Maria Orosa St and Julio Nakpil St in Malate.
Any recommendations on hotels there to stay?

Is there a beach resort like Pattaya there?

Thanks for any info!

globalwanderer
June 18th, 2008, 11:56
I usually stay at the Orchid Garden Hotel which is about 10 minutes by taxi from the intersection you mention. It is gay friendly and no problems with guests.

On Bars it depends what you are looking for

Wesley
June 19th, 2008, 00:31
Boroclay is the Phukett of the Philippines, its all white sand and said to be the best beach front in the world and gay friendly with lots of guys if you like the beach and gay beach boys it is said to be the place to be. I found the best information on Utopia about the better places to cruise for guys and less on the Sex tourist trade. It does list the best bars and how gay friendly they are for all major Islands and cities.

http://www.utopia-asia.com/tipsphil.htm

You are correct about the information you have so far. If you are planning a trip you can list yourself on the Utopia forum and get hits before you leave to go. They Speak English and is taught in school as the official language so almost everyone speaks English and Tagalog, the local language does change from island to island in some cases. But unlike Thailand you can easily communicate in English almost every where.

I'll be in Cebu by September for six months then back in USA for 4 months then back for 10 months probably in Manila when I go back to live.
A book I found to be good on the culture is Culture Shock! Philippines -A survival guide to Customs and Etiquette."Alfredo Roces.

Lonely planet has a good book but they say the better one was the last version not the most recent. Most of that you can find on line any way.

Boys are available and it is much more Western in thought ,but Catholic on Sundays only and have aligned themselves with the latest LGBT Human rights recently as to their official position. You will find this is not true for the outer Islands. Manila is the place to be for boys, the Malls are the places to find guys and Boroclay is the place to find the best beach as well as the boys. The exchange rate fluctuates around 40 to 41. Boy bars are outlawed but they do exist. in other forms. They have little or no hangups about gay life as long as it does n o cause them to loose face with the family in which it is much like Thailand in that respect to family ties and traditional Asian family unit. Like Thailand it has lots to do other than chase boys. However, if that is all you are going for stay in Manila. You have the right address. They are circumcised and its done in a local way and may be a bit unfamiliar as to the western way it should look. They are not afraid to ask for money so be ready to say no, if you can't write it on a card to hand them. LOL just joking. being a colony of Spain Britain and the USA it has absorbed a lot of the Western thou hgt and has intermingled that with thier own local traditions and culture. Anyone will tell you they are a Christan. That means nothing. Only about 5% are fundamentalist. they rest are really traditionalist. So gay life in the right way can even be light hearted.

Have Fun!!!!

Wesley