PDA

View Full Version : HIV and Mouthwash

thaiguest
June 15th, 2008, 21:28
Could I put a question to those who're medically or otherwise qualified to answer;
Does the use of standard mouthwash immediately after unprotected oral sex performed on a male give protection against contracting hiv and other stds?
No smart-ass replies please or moralising sermons.

June 15th, 2008, 21:33
Could I put a question to those who're medically or otherwise qualified to answer;
Does the use of standard mouthwash immediately after unprotected oral sex performed on a male give protection against contracting hiv and other stds?

the answer is YES! I always rinsed my mouth after I hugged a boy I suspected of having HIV virus :idea: :idea:

thaiguest
June 15th, 2008, 21:41

the answer is YES! I always rinsed my mouth after I hugged a boy I suspected of having HIV virus :idea: :idea:

Took only 10 minutes to find a smart-ass.

June 15th, 2008, 21:48
[quote="thaiguest
Took only 10 minutes to find a smart-ass.[/quote]

...and after reading this tread I will rinse my mouth :drunken: :drunken:

June 15th, 2008, 21:51
According to some websites oral sex is considered to be low risk in any case. Allegedly.
Or maybe people just lie on the questionaire at the STD clinic.

One cannot imagine there have been any controlled tests to prove this.
e.g. 1000 HIV free people suck off a HIV+ guy, then stay cellebate for 3 months until they have been tested.

June 15th, 2008, 21:53
I have read a lot about HIV over the years, and have never seen anything to support the idea that mouthwash helps. Of course, a lot of people seem to have an agenda about HIV, wanting to ignore the two royal roads to HIV infection (1) needles (2) anal intercourse.

The medical literature seems to indicate that people who like to give blowjobs are pretty safe -- UNLESS they have just come from the dentist's office and have open wounds in their mouths. That provides another royal road for HIV to get into the bloodstream -- and the virus has to do that, or die.

Still, mouthwash can't hurt. And besides: like some other things in life, cum tastes best when fresh. The good taste doesn't last.

So, all in all, I would recommend mouthwash. But I would recommend more seriously thinking about open wounds in your mouth. THERE is a real danger point...and I know one Thai boy who is HIV-positive by just that route. He gave some good-looking guy a head job in Babylon right after an appointment with the dentist.

Smiles
June 15th, 2008, 23:40
" ... cum tastes best when fresh ... "
I always just assumed it was fresh all the time, at least on initial entry. Picking those dried little lumpy things (like glue spots) off your stomach in the morning . . . now those are stale.

To subject: most mouthwashes have an anti-bacterial function built in. Thus I would think that HIV ~ being a virus ~ would be immune (ironic eh?) to anti-bacterial agents.

Cheers ...

dab69
June 16th, 2008, 09:36
kinda ruins the taste but might help washing the tonsils, as it just seems to hang there

June 16th, 2008, 12:39
I have read that, generally, mouthwashes containing alcohols - ethanol, for example, are most effective against STDs. The only product I have found in Thailand that contains any alcohols is MONDAHNIN. Are there others?

Maybe the fact that this message is such an easy target for attempts at humor, those attempts will be limited..... nahhhh

June 16th, 2008, 15:26
Decades ago I was told that rinsing with strong alcohol was effective. Minsh a double vodk...

June 16th, 2008, 16:59
Henry Cate wrote:
The medical literature seems to indicate that people who like to give blowjobs are pretty safe -- UNLESS they have just come from the dentist's office and have open wounds in their mouths. That provides another royal road for HIV to get into the bloodstream -- and the virus has to do that, or die.

Some good information given by Henry. I might also add that I have heard, some people were advising against brushing your teeth before your date. In some cases, brushing/flossing may cause small tears in the mouth or the gums to bleed, thus an avenue for HIV transmission. To be on the safe side, use your mouthwash before your date and not your toothbrush.

MARK
June 16th, 2008, 19:11
You could also use Isodine Gargle (povidone iodine) Then use the mouth wash

bkkguy
June 16th, 2008, 19:49
Oral sex can cause throat cancer (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11819-oral-sex-can-cause-throat-cancer.html)

and again it's a virus so mouthwash won't help!

bkkguy

krobbie
June 17th, 2008, 07:08
Henry Cate wrote:

Some good information given by Henry. I might also add that I have heard, some people were advising against brushing your teeth before your date. In some cases, brushing/flossing may cause small tears in the mouth or the gums to bleed, thus an avenue for HIV transmission. To be on the safe side, use your mouthwash before your date and not your toothbrush.

Okay, I am not a doctor but have what might be called, some first hand knowledge for you to ponder.
The above information is correct but just to make things a little more specific.

As has been said, if you have an ulcer or bleeding gums, which is not uncommon if you suffer from Gingivitis or Periodontitis), it is wise to abstain without the use of a condom (boring).
However, as has also been mentioned, contracting HIV through oral sex is considered to be extremely low risk.

Consider that the disease carried in the semen, must mix with blood (enter the blood stream) to cause infection. Ingestion of cum doesn't work the same way for some reason.

Further more if you do feel you are at risk because of gum issues, just do the condom thing. It isn't as hideous as one might think. best to get the flavoured condoms though. Strawberries are currently in season in the northern hemisphere.

As far as the mouthwash goes, it won't prevent infection but lets face it, cock breath is unattractive.

I always carry the small packs of Listerine. These packs are called FeshBurst┬о Listerine Pocket Packs oral care strips and come 24 in a pack. I have them in my wallet at all times and when I come to Thaialnd I bring several multipacks with me as the bf loves them to freshen the breath.

Happy taste testing,
krobbie

June 17th, 2008, 08:34

No smart-assed posts either?

It's a well known fact mouthwash doesn't go far to do anything, even "kill germs".

That's not to say it isn't a good thing to rinse! At least with the mouthwash you are likely to spit the rinse out.

Sure, use it, I know they use it all the time. I read the book.

June 17th, 2008, 22:33
How romantic it is to run off the the bathroom to gargle with mouthwash after a glorious climax.

Smiles
June 21st, 2008, 07:07
A lot of bad advice on this thread
I don't doubt it, but instead of posting an empty message with nothing but a useless subjerct line, you might add to this threads usefulness by actually making the effort to show the folks here where the "bad advice" resides . . . and what can be said (by you) to counteract it.

Anything less is pure bungkum ... to be properly ignored.

Cheers ...

cottmann
June 21st, 2008, 08:15
A lot of bad advice on this thread
I don't doubt it, but instead of posting an empty message with nothing but a useless subjerct line, you might add to this threads usefulness by actually making the effort to show the folks here where the "bad advice" resides . . . and what can be said (by you) to counteract it.

Anything less is pure bungkum ... to be properly ignored.

Cheers ...

A quick Google search would show anyone interested in this subject that at the moment no mouthwash on the market is of any use in protecting against HIV/AIDS.

June 21st, 2008, 09:55
You could try gargling with Clorox.

Aunty
June 23rd, 2008, 09:02
Bugger, now you've gone and spolit all my fun!

krobbie
June 25th, 2008, 02:35
While everyone else is wondering around blissfully unaware of their cock breath we kiwis WILL be assuredly stepping out with our sweet smelling breath.

I am not put off my favourite past time for a second.

Cheers
krobbie