PDA

View Full Version : baan dok mai

thanatorn-old
June 15th, 2008, 15:23
A few months ago I posted for info about this establishment and said I would review when i had stayed there so here we go:

It is in an ideal location to start off with, right behind Tuk com off South Pattaya road, so good for going to both Sunee and Boystown. The only small problem with the location is across the road is a karaoke bar which can sometimes be loud when they open the door, but it was not enough to disturb greatly.

The rooms are huge. Tastefully furnished and have all the trimmings- TV (with sufficient channels), DVD, min bar (with decent priced drinks) etc etc. Also have free wifi in rooms. The bathrooms are ok but the main problem here is the water pressure - it is really in need of vamping up. You can still get a good enough shower but it could be so much better. Rooms could do with a little intro/info pack

The coffee shop is alright as well - furnished pretty basically but I had a couple of meals here and found them as good as anywhere else in the price range.

You do get your own access key at night (although on most nights there was a member of staff lurking around should you loose your key). I was surprised at how early the coffee shop shuts up at around five i think - do not know if there is something in the licensing? I did not try room service and do not know if it is there.

For late arrivals I would suggest letting them know or else it could be difficult getting in. One traveller only got in at about 11.00pm as we took him up to the owner/managers room through the side gate, and he had been trying to phone in for a while.

Staff very friendly, helpful but unobtrusive. Airport transfers at a reasonable rate of 1200 organised via hotel with taxi firm next door, so any problems they are right there.

All in all - for the good prices you are paying - 850 for a deluxe room it is worth it and provided a pleasant stay.

atri1666
June 15th, 2008, 15:37
Stayed there from 29th may till first june. We have had room in the highest floor - nothing for old enabled people. The whole house was very hot - very difficult to leave dry. Room was ok but air condition not strong enough and showering needs long time (not enough pressure). Friendly owner and personal and laundry also cheap. Good was the dvd-player in room. Some time can be noisy in the night.

painai2
June 15th, 2008, 17:27
What's with the Thai vendors selling Thai food on the hotel sidewalk and using the lobby for eating the Thai quick meals? The other day the restaurant was filled with customers eating the Thai vendor's treats. It doesn't quite fit the image of a gay guesthouse restaurant. The restaurant never appeard to do any business anyway.

Dodger
June 16th, 2008, 05:41
Su and I stayed at Baan Dak Mai when we first arrived in Pattaya and enjoyed it very much

We arrived very late (3:00AM) and the owner and a few of his staff members were there to great us and make us feel at home. I was surprised at the spaciousness of the room and found it to be immaculate with all the needed amenities. BDM is in a perfect location for people (boy) watching in the mornings as it sits just adjacent to Tuk Com and a stones throw from the open street markets.

This was my first experience staying in a hotel for a long time, as I always stay at the condo. Prior to booking at BDM I checked out other places in the area. I was looking for somewhere with a convenient location and economical. I considered Two Guys B&B, Howards, Soi Yensabai Apartments, Mosaic, etc., and found BDM to be the best all around value. The rooms are 30% larger than Flamingo - and cost 30% less...sorry Jaap.

I enjoyed the American style breakfasts and the cook knows how to flip eggs over-easy and serves a great cup of coffee.

Top that off with a very outgoing and personable owner and a few cute smiling boys on staff...and there you have it.

I won't hesitate staying at BDM the next time I'm looking for a hotel in the area.

BTW...I never experienced the customers from the Thai food stalls eating in the restaurant, although, probably wouldn't care if they did...TIT.

mai pen rai

Dick
June 16th, 2008, 14:58
I've just returned home having stayed 2 weeks in Baan Dok Mai.
Very enjoyable, good value, excellent location.

The water pressure in the shower is adequate, but yes it could be much improved. But that perception is as much to do with the shower head... the type that you rotate for a choice of effects. More pressure is needed to make the selections work properly. If they had bog standard heads there would be nothing to complain about! But more importantly, the water temperature remains constant... none of this hot one minute and cold the next. But when weighed against the many plus points this place offers, it isn't anything to get upset about.

Free wifi or direct network cable if your brand of laptop can't connect with the wifi.
Well appointed rooms, good TV and DVD/VCD/5.1 sound, good storage space and places to 'put things'.
Excellent value for money at B.850/night. Inexpensive laundry. Rooms cleaned sensibly well into the afternoons, and the owner Warrick is an easy going Kiwi who makes you feel at home.

Across the road is JJ Karaoke. I didn't find it a problem, but occasionally as guests are leaving in the early hours you can hear music if the guests hold the door open for any length of time. But don't let that put you off. I only heard it if I was already awake.

The Thai street vendors using the sidewalk/veranda adjacent to the restaurant are in fact Baan Dok Mai staff. It's a new innovation to attract Thai people into the restaurant, and very successful it is too. By putting the food inside glass counters nearest to the street, it attracts custom and makes additional space inside for seating. Very clever. At night when the restaurant is closed, you get a number of street vendors park their mobile stalls outside anyway. So it projects and image of approachability and street value. The restaurant manager is Tui ~ the same Tui who spent the last 14yrs at Le Cafe Royal, so I'm sure he will be familar to many.

In the immediate area within a 2 minute walk there are half a dozen good French style restaurants that will appeal to the Farang and which won't break the bank.

All in all, a nice place to stay. Try it!

atri1666 ~ I saw you... did you see me?

atri1666
June 16th, 2008, 18:50
Yes of course Dick. Have been together with my boyfriend.

Shuee
June 18th, 2008, 22:12
its not all glossy here, a friend stayed here & had in black & white in his email that breakfast was included in the price he had been qouted

this was discracefally not honoured when he arrived though

June 19th, 2008, 02:38
I tried to find a website on Google but no luck. Does anyone have a URL for them?
Thanks

thanatorn-old
June 19th, 2008, 02:46
www.baandm.com (http://www.baandm.com) will get you there

daa raa
June 19th, 2008, 04:45
I was promised breakfast here too, but I did not get it either.

atri1666
June 19th, 2008, 07:31
We also dont got it but i dont care about because i like more the breakfast at grottinos bakery.

Dick
June 19th, 2008, 12:30
I can only speak as I find. Having spent 2 weeks there and formed my own personal opinion of the mangement, it would to me seem out of character that they would make false promises.

Here is the text I got back to my own booking enquiry:-
' The room rate for that period is 700B or 850B per night it does not include breakfast but breakfast is available for 120B in the Coffee shop, or 70B for continental. All rooms have safe, air conditioning, hot & cold water shower, cold water only at the hand basin. Wifi and Lan in the rooms 29' TV, DVD, with sound system & USB port for your Ipod, mini bar, tea and coffee making facilities. The 850B rooms are bigger and have there own balcony. No joiner fees apply. '
All very transparent and up front as far as I was concerned.