PDA

View Full Version : Thai Air and fuel surcharges

June 14th, 2008, 21:53
Reported on ThaiVisa was that Thai Air has increased its fuel surcharges by huge amounts. The charge per sector from Bkk to Nyc or Lax is US 281. and for the Bkk London route the charge is US230. Not sure what they mean by sector or if you will incurr a seperate fuel charge for each leg of the outbound and return trip.

thanatorn-old
June 14th, 2008, 22:16
I have been looking for a flight for my next trip out and was advised that the fuel surcharge here in uk was going up from about ┬г205 to ┬г320 (supposedly from monday) so that looks about right.

June 15th, 2008, 10:36
Not sure what they mean by sector or if you will incurr a seperate fuel charge for each leg of the outbound and return trip.

A friend reports a LARGE, unresolved fuel surcharge being applied by Canadian to a ret bkk/Miami itinerary. He could only surmise that the surcharge was being applied to the entire itinerary, not just Tokyo/Vancouver. He decided not to visit friends in Vancouver this trip back.

June 16th, 2008, 07:19
Information obtained from comparing the "add ons, i.e. taxes and charges" on a seat price on a previous trip to a current seat price - on the London-BKK-London route.

Previously "add on" charges were around ┬г180, now they are around ┬г210, be interesting to see what they are after today.

Sen Yai
June 16th, 2008, 13:56
have put their prices only about 6 weeks ago, surcharge from London BKK return about ┬г30, now around ┬г210, but the next one seems a bit of a hike up to ┬г320, but there you go, the thing is its not the best airline!

Whitedesire, I don't know the source of you information, but if you look on the THAI website, you will see the following:

January 2008 (effective 10 January 2008 onwards)

All international flights at a flying time of 8 to 14 hours per sector will be charged USD 95.00 or the equivalent per sector, per flight coupon.

All international flights on the ultra long range sectors will be charged USD 105.00 or the equivalent per sector, per flight coupon.

April 2008 (effective 28 April 2008)

Collect a fuel surcharge rate of USD 125.00 per sector, on the return route Bangkok-Auckland v.v., Bangkok-Munich v.v., Bangkok-Paris v.v., Bangkok-Rome v.v., Bangkok-Athens v.v., Bangkok-Copenhagen v.v., Bangkok-Stockholm v.v., Bangkok-Zurich v.v., Bangkok-Moscow v.v., Bangkok-Johannesburg v.v., Bangkok-London v.v., Bangkok-Frankfurt v.v., Bangkok-Madrid v.v.

Collect a fuel surcharge rate of USD 140.00 per sector, on the return route Bangkok-New York v.v., and Bangkok-Los Angeles v.v.

June 2008 (effective 25 June 2008)

Impose fuel surcharge rate of USD 230.00 per sector, on the return route Bangkok-London v.v., Bangkok-Paris v.v., and Bangkok-Madrid v.v.

Impose fuel surcharge rate of USD 281.00 per sector, on the return route Bangkok-New York v.v., and Bangkok-Los Angeles v.v.

Check the news here: THAI Press Releases (http://www.thaiair.com/About_Thai/Newsroom/Press_Release/Press_Year_2008/press08.htm)

June 16th, 2008, 17:10
My information was obtained from the actual buying of a ticket. The price I was on about included all taxes and fuel surcharges. To put this into perspective, ALL taxes and charges were around 180 UK Pounds sometime in March on a London-BKK-London ticket, then in April it went up to over 210 UK Pounds. Take one figure from another and it gave an increase of around 30 UK Pounds. That's where I got the information from. Also I was reminded from a travel agent.

June 16th, 2008, 17:55
For me flying out of the states that raises the roundtrip ticket 562.00 thats a big big hike. OUCH That means 400 some odd people on the same flight also are paying 562.00 extra. Thats an awful high increase when you think of how many people fly that one flight. I don't know the price airlines pay for fuel but that fuel charge seems in the excess.

jinks
June 16th, 2008, 18:21
Luckily I paid for my December flights in February... price locked and paid :cheers:

June 16th, 2008, 21:07
For me flying out of the states that raises the roundtrip ticket 562.00 thats a big big hike. OUCH That means 400 some odd people on the same flight also are paying 562.00 extra. Thats an awful high increase when you think of how many people fly that one flight. I don't know the price airlines pay for fuel but that fuel charge seems in the excess.

How do you work that out, I think correct me if I'm wrong, these figures a cummulative and not additional, for instance the additional fuel charge is 281, previously it was 140 in April, that's a 141 increase - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

June 17th, 2008, 00:57
I am just saying that NOW the fuel surcharge is 281 per sector which is 562 for a round trip. Since I did not buy a ticket when the fuel charge was 141 that for me it is now a big increase of 562. Had I bought a ticket when the fuel charge was 141( and i don't think that was per sector) then the increase for me would have been the difference. Confused? So am I

jimnbkk
June 17th, 2008, 05:06
Just for comparison, out of Dulles to Bangkok by United Airlines: I paid $1137 for my May visit. I just checked again for August, and the fare was $2000. Quite a jump. Will make it less like that I'll make my normal 3 visits next year. Maybe just two long visits.

I notice that the Baht/Dollar is getting more friendly to us Yanks. It was down as far as about 31.5 Baht per dollar earlier this year, now it's up to nearly 33 Baht per dollar. That helps, anyway!

Bob
June 17th, 2008, 05:09
Jimbkk.....part of the issue is the summer rise in rates. Just checked from Dulles to Bkk in
middle of September and it was less than $1,400.00.

June 17th, 2008, 09:13
I notice that the Baht/Dollar is getting more friendly to us Yanks. It was down as far as about 31.5 Baht per dollar earlier this year, now it's up to nearly 33 Baht per dollar. That helps, anyway!

Jim, tell me about it when it gets back up to 40. We've got about a year in my opinion.

Airfares are up! Fuel surcharges are talked about but as far as I know (based also on an other flyer site) they are related to US/Paris flights, AC flights and now Thai. Check your tickets carefully. They might be hidden in the "taxes and fees".

Shuee
June 17th, 2008, 23:46
wat about eva prices

Geezer
June 18th, 2008, 00:22
Executives say alternative is to taxi halfway to most destinations before taking off

BANGKOK - Citing the surge in global petroleum prices, discount airline Thai Air Asia announced that its fuel surcharge would now be raised to 600x the actual ticket price. A spokesperson for the airline described the action as тАЬregrettable but unavoidableтАЭ given the high price of kerosene. However, the low fares that made Air Asia famous would, according to the spokesperson, remain incredibly low. тАЬWe will continue to offer our amazing fares starting at just Bt99,тАЭ he said. тАЬIn fact, we plan to significantly lower our fares to such popular destinations such as Udon Thani and Johor Bahru.тАЭ With the new fuel surcharge, the Bt99 flight would cost about Bt59,999.

http://www.notthenation.com/pages/news/ ... php?id=522 (http://www.notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=522)

cottmann
June 19th, 2008, 09:35
This website shows what airlines are charging as the fuel surcharge.

http://www.globaltravel.com.sg/airline-fuel.php

thanatorn-old
June 25th, 2008, 18:24
Oh the joys!! My agent has just re invoiced me an extra ┬г110.00 for my next flight (LHR - BKK on Thai), with a possibility of a further increase in the coming months.

ceejay
June 25th, 2008, 18:48
I bought a ticket (LHR-BKK on Eva) in January, and paid in full then, even though I am not travelling until November, so my price is fixed.

Sorry if I sound smug - but there is some advice there too. I think it's probably still better to pay up front and peg the price - in my opinion oil prices still have a distance to go.

Smiles
June 25th, 2008, 20:43
Strangely, doing a search on Kayak I found a price for YVR/BKK/YVR (using same dates I paid for last April) which lists a price for about $100 less.
The thing which has changed is that the best deals are now few and far between: a fairly decent price of $1400 can be had ... but just down the page the price jumps up to $2300, and much more after that.

If one is going for a long stay (this next one for me is for 8 months), an actual travel agent can still more than likely get you the best price available.

Cheers ..