PDA

View Full Version : OBriens for sale

June 11th, 2008, 03:04
I noticed on another website an advert for O'Briens restaurant, which is now up for sale. This is owned by the proprietor of Googies, another well known breakfast and evening meal haunt for many Pattaya farangs. As far as I am aware, O'Briens had a late opening a few months ago and did seem rather bereft of customers (wasnt quite sure why a restaurant owner would want to open up his own competition almost next door) Anyway, is this a sign of the times and low season numbers, an owner miscalculation, or are there other reasons.

June 11th, 2008, 09:56
I noticed on another website an advert for O'Briens restaurant, which is now up for sale. This is owned by the proprietor of Googies, another well known breakfast and evening meal haunt for many Pattaya farangs. As far as I am aware, O'Briens had a late opening a few months ago and did seem rather bereft of customers (wasnt quite sure why a restaurant owner would want to open up his own competition almost next door) Anyway, is this a sign of the times and low season numbers, an owner miscalculation, or are there other reasons.

I am informed that Googies is also for sale.

June 11th, 2008, 13:55
Googies has been in that Soi for a few years.
O'Briens was developed when the Birdcage announced its opening - on the prospect of far more people going to that area.
It now appears that Birdcage is not going to be the humdinger that was expected and the area is returning to being a backwater.
Any astute businessman would be considering selling under those circumstances.

June 11th, 2008, 17:34
Googies has been in that Soi for a few years.
O'Briens was developed when the Birdcage announced its opening - on the prospect of far more people going to that area.
It now appears that Birdcage is not going to be the humdinger that was expected and the area is returning to being a backwater.
Any astute businessman would be considering selling under those circumstances.

Can't blame this on the Birdcage as there's far more to this than you know. Think 'watch this space' is in order here !!!

June 11th, 2008, 17:57
Can't blame this on the Birdcage as there's far more to this than you know. Think 'watch this space' is in order here !!!

Seems like the vultures are flying overhead already and obviously can't wait for their pickings. :angry7:

George.

catawampuscat
June 11th, 2008, 18:03
The corner which O'Briens is located on, has not been a lucky or good one for a long time. The restaurant before O'Briens
had an unpronounceable name, which has slipped from my memory but was usually very quiet. A difficult name is not a good
way to start and after a valiant effort they threw in the towel and the place was empty for a long while.. O.B's was gay owned.

The corner bakery/restaurant just across, is trying to capture evening dinner business but it doesn't seem to be catching on.
It was a cigarette smoker's haven, even thou it is air-conditioned and this bad taste has left me unwilling to give them another go,
even thou I am sure they are not so stupid as to continue putting ashtrays on the tables and encouraging cigarette smoking.
I would really lose if someone lit up a nasty cigar as has happened in the past there before the no smoking law became fact..

The other corner is the old Ole's and now the big French restaurant which opened to harsh reviews about bad service and
doesn't seem to be doing much business.
I enjoyed a good dinner there in the recently and would recommend the specials
as a good value and a tasty meal. Adorable waiters and staff on that visit.. Excellent service nowadays.. Gay owned

The fourth and remaining corner is the open air Thai restaurant, Salt and Pepper where many characters of this town
spend lots of time. This little treasure is a great one to bring your Thai friends to and the owners are very nice and
welcoming. Salt & Pepper seems to be the most successful of the four corners but O'Briens corner seems the toughest one
to make a go of. S.& P. very economical by the way.. Very gay friendly :cat:

June 11th, 2008, 20:41
Bwana

I dont understand why you would use a picture such as you have as an avatar. I will assume you're not a supporter of him and would like to request that you change it. I have to say I find it offensive and would rather not see it on my travels thru this message board.

Smiles
June 11th, 2008, 20:56
Bwana, I dont understand why you would use a picture such as you have as an avatar. I will assume you're not a supporter of him and would like to request that you change it. I have to say I find it offensive and would rather not see it on my travels thru this message board.
Put him on ignore if you don't want to view his avatar.
Whether you find anything offensive on the Board is your problem, not another member's, or the Board's in general. If you haven't noticed, this message board can be way more offensive than that. :blackeye:

Cheers ...

June 11th, 2008, 21:34
Bwana

I dont understand why you would use a picture such as you have as an avatar. I will assume you're not a supporter of him and would like to request that you change it. I have to say I find it offensive and would rather not see it on my travels thru this message board.
Sorry Steve - Don't want to upset anyone ... picture changed :albino:

Geezer
June 12th, 2008, 00:53
Four Corners in Day-Night..

Despite other restaurants having failed, Ole seemed to flourish on that corner. The owner left that location and reopened a larger restaurant in another area.

Perhaps rather than the corner being jinxed, the products offered were not sufficiently attractive.

June 12th, 2008, 03:31
Bwana

Sorry Steve - Don't want to upset anyone ... picture changed :albino:

I quite liked it but then I'm not a queezy PC prat

Smiles
June 12th, 2008, 05:34
" ... Sorry Steve - Don't want to upset anyone ... picture changed. ... "
Nice to know you're 'satirical' at every turn. I like that in a man. :cheers:

Cheers ...

piston10
June 12th, 2008, 05:45
Will someone please put me out of my misery and tell me whose photo Bwana is using as an avatar? I'm beginning to feel very ignorant and out of touch!

Smiles
June 12th, 2008, 05:52
Will someone please put me out of my misery and tell me whose photo Bwana is using as an avatar? I'm beginning to feel very ignorant and out of touch!
He had a photo of President Mugabe of Zimbabwe as his avatar :bom: (Sans sandals & black socks, thank christ) . The PC Police amongst us had a high dudgeon conniption.
(Now the silly prick has a photo of my old man!!! Thanks Steve!!! / LOL)

Cheers ...

Bob
June 12th, 2008, 09:08
Well, you should slap the bitch (Bwana) silly, Khun Smiles! :clown:

Speaking of "Bwana", are we in a Tarzan movie here or something?

June 13th, 2008, 06:28
(Now the silly prick has a photo of my old man!!! Thanks Steve!!! / LOL)

Cheers ...

Some people just can't be pleased ... All change again
Chairs ...

PeterUK
June 13th, 2008, 13:56
a high dudgeon conniption

I wondered for a moment if 'conniption' was a typo (for what??), but, no, a quick scurry to the dictionary reveals that it is 'N.Amer. informal' for 'a fit of rage or hysterics'. Learn something every day. I quite like it. On the basis that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, expect to see it appearing in a post of mine soon.