PDA

View Full Version : Man looking for gay men . . .

June 10th, 2008, 23:55
Hello, everyone. I'm new here, this is my first post. So please be kind!

I am a gay male, American, retired, and presently a volunteer English teacher in Thakhek, Laos (just across the Mekong from Nakhon, Phanom, Thailand. Can someone tell me how you go about meeting gay men in the surrounding areas? Anyone know anything about Savannakhet or Pakse? I get to Thailand about once a month, usually to Nakhon Phanom or to Udon Thani for a couple of days - so far, it's been all pizza, KFC, books, DVDs. Any suggestions about where to go or places to check out? Just looking for some pleasant gay company once in a while. Thakhek is a nice quiet place to live and I enjoy it 90% of the time; I'd just like to know a little bit more about where to go when things get too boring (or lonely) here.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Ralph

Lunchtime O'Booze
June 11th, 2008, 00:05
well you deserve a good thrashing for eating so many pizzas and KFC but we'll be kind. Are you sure you have your gaydar switched on ?

June 11th, 2008, 03:12
gaydar indeed. acknowledge a glance or smile with one of your own and dont be shy, things will happen .

June 11th, 2008, 12:55
Thanks, guys. I don't think I have any gaydar! But I do smile and meet lots of people, just not the right guy yet (and I ain't getting any younger). I think I have to get out more and meet more guys. I like it here in Thakhek, but it's frustrating sometimes, especially at three o'clock in the morning and I'm sleeping alone - again.

June 11th, 2008, 13:28
Get up to the capital more often. There you will see many gay guys in the night clubs. Just smile at a few and attempt to talk to them.

RonanTheBarbarian
June 12th, 2008, 03:08
According to the Utopia Guide, the main gay bar in Udon Thani is the "B B Club"

Their info:

"Exiting the Charoen Hotel, make a right and cross the bridge, then another right. Walk down to the third alley on the right and look for the twinkling lights and Thai twinky pop star posters on the door. Udon's only "gay bar", with karaoke and a small cabaret show at 11:30pm."

They also cite the "Yellow Bar" - (ran luang in Thai)
- Opposite Mister Donut, in front of Charoensri Complex shopping mall, 042-344-556. Bar with snacks.

and

the "Yellow Bird" (mixed)
- Charoen Hotel, 042-248-155, 042-246-121. Gets busy late, some gays mixed into the crowd.

Sound like the Charoen Hotel would be a good place to stay in Udon!

Of course, if you decide to go a little further, to Khon Kaen, there is large gay sauna called "the Beach"

Their address is Sritaduprasun Road, Khon Kaen City.

June 12th, 2008, 13:56
Hi Ronan -

And thanks for the info. I've looked for that BB Club (or whatever it's called) in the past; I think it is closed.

In thinking about it, I believe that my biggest problem is that I am a day person and many of the gays are night people, so our paths don't cross that often. Usually, I have a long day out and am back in my hotel by eight or nine o'clock. I guess I'll just have to stay at the Charoen Hotel and stay up later.

Thanks again.

Ralph

June 12th, 2008, 14:06
I guess I'll just have to stay at the Charoen Hotel and stay up later.

Thanks again.

Ralph

I think that is a great idea ralph, as you will have a far greater chance by staying up later of perhaps being up later as well. ;)

Good luck on your quest ralph,

George.

June 12th, 2008, 14:12
George -

I like the part about "being up later as well." Thanks; I look forward to it.

Ralph

June 12th, 2008, 17:34
Hi Ralph,
When you cross the Mekong into Nakon phanom there are many guys cruising the water front early evening and later into the night . Also along the water front area there are many restaurants where gay people hang out . My B/f comes from there and that is the area that he recommended.
Good luck.

June 12th, 2008, 18:24
Thanks, Tongo8 - I'll check that out. Does your friend have any ideas as to what hotels or guest houses in Nakhon are the best?

Ralph