PDA

View Full Version : Quiz question for Thai language buffs

PeterUK
June 10th, 2008, 14:04
This is for those of you who have taken the trouble to learn Thai properly, including the ability to read and write it. What Thai word has the same consonant as its first three letters without any vowels or tone marks attached? Confused? I hope not.

June 10th, 2008, 14:37
งงงวย

June 10th, 2008, 14:42
It could be argued that งงงวย is two words, not one.

PeterUK
June 10th, 2008, 15:05
งงงวย

Bloody hell, that was quick. Well done. You probably didn't even need my 'confused' hint! I admit to being very fond of this word - all those 'ng' sounds make it intrinsically comical for me. I find that if I say 'pom ngongnguai' ('I'm confused') with a suitably exaggerated vacant expression (not difficult), Thai companions will invariably smile. As for the suggestion that it might be deemed two words, I think not. While 'ngong' by itself can still mean 'confused', 'nguai' does not exist as a word in its own right as far as I know.

June 10th, 2008, 15:06
ok, whats the prize? i want to claim it quick before Khun Quisp puts in a formal protest!

PeterUK
June 10th, 2008, 16:38
ok, whats the prize? i want to claim it quick before Khun Quisp puts in a formal protest!

Your prize is a free ticket to Lunchtime O'Booze's famous one-man rendition of 'Hits From Oklahoma!', complete with special effects. It regularly reduces audiences to tears. Perhaps we should give Khun Quisp the second prize - two free tickets.

June 11th, 2008, 00:15
too bad, i just checked my calendar and I am busy that night, whenever it is!

PeterUK
June 11th, 2008, 12:53
In fairness to Lunchtime O'Booze I should have perhaps added that a critic once described his version of 'I'm just a girl who cain't say no' as 'truly heartfelt'.

June 11th, 2008, 13:32
This is for those of you who have taken the trouble to learn Thai properly, including the ability to read and write it. What Thai word has the same consonant as its first three letters without any vowels or tone marks attached? Confused? I hope not.

You got nothing better to do Peter?

The only Thai I study is the rear end of some cutey I want to fuck :geek:

MARK
June 12th, 2008, 12:10

You got nothing better to do Peter?

The only Thai I study is the rear end of some cutey I want to fuck :geek:
UKlover why are you so pisst off with Ex pats that live in Thailand

June 12th, 2008, 13:07
I admit to being very fond of this word - all those 'ng' sounds make it intrinsically comical for me. I find that if I say 'pom ngongnguai' ('I'm confused') with a suitably exaggerated vacant expression (not difficult), Thai companions will invariably smile. As for the suggestion that it might be deemed two words, I think not. While 'ngong' by itself can still mean 'confused', 'nguai' does not exist as a word in its own right as far as I know.And there are still people who believe that learning Thai is a worthwhile experience :banghead: