June 7th, 2008, 05:30
Something I found on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIIOnnC5C2Y

Wonderful!

June 7th, 2008, 05:51
Something I found on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIIOnnC5C2Y

Wonderful!

Thanks for that Henry and I endorse your sentiments. Wonderful!

George.

elephantspike
June 7th, 2008, 05:55
Nice song!

Is there a lyric translation available?

June 7th, 2008, 09:09
Nice song!

Is there a lyric translation available?

Here you go Spike, now you can sing along. :icon_smile: When I can find a bit of time to upload a file from my studio to my computer, I will send you a surprise little audio file as a gift. I warn you however, that it is copyrighted, so don't go getting any ideas of posting it here, or else :iconbiggrin:

Choc Dee,

George.

ซง-พฺระ-จะ-เริน

song phra charoen

Ever since I saw the face of this man
The King of Thailand, The King of Siam
I fell in love with the soul of this land
It's in his eyes, it's in his heart, it's in his hands
He is a husband, a father and a King
A great photographer, musician so many things
The way He lives his life is something to behold
His grace, His wisdom, an example to the world
Long live the King of Thailand
Long live the King of Siam

And in the time when the rains came flooding down
He saved the city with the building of the dam
In times of conflict, he has always been there
To stop the fighting just like a father
who really cares

I watch in wonder at the things he understands
His love for his people, His love for this land
His work in agriculture, He is one of a kind
His visions for the future way ahead of their time
Long live the King
Long Live the King of Siam
Long live the King
Long live the King

June 7th, 2008, 14:38
ok
long live the king.
fine with me.

June 7th, 2008, 15:45
I have to say it had tears in my eyes.
Such a pity we cant treat our own monarchy the same.
A brilliant post.....thank you

June 7th, 2008, 18:44
Such a pity we cant treat our own monarchy the same.Are you prepared to have them treat you the same way as the Thai monarchy treats its people?

Brad the Impala
June 7th, 2008, 18:52

Who is "our own"?

June 8th, 2008, 00:49
เหนือฟ้ายังมีฟ้า เหนือราชามีองค์ร ชันย์
ผู้อดทนทุ่มเทบาก ั่น เติมความฝันให้แผ นดินขวานทอง
เหนือดินทั่วถิ่น ปถึง พ่อเป็นที่พึ่งขอ ไทยทั้งผอง
ให้รักสามัคคีปรอ ดอง เดินตามครรลองของ วามพอเพียง
เหนือใต้อีสานออก ก คือมรดกแห่งความส มัคคี
คนไทยเป็นไทวันนี กินดีอยู่ดีทั้งม ชื่อเสียง
เหนือสิ่งอื่นใดใ ้หล้า มิอาจสรรหาถ้อยคำ ้อยเรียง
เทียบได้น้ำพระทั หล่อเลี้ยง พสกนิกรให้อยู่เย นเป็นสุข
ทรงพระเจริญ อยู่ยิ่งยืนนาน
ทรงพระเกษมสำราญ ตลอดกาล...ตลอดไป
พ่อคือพ่อของแผ่น ิน หยาดหยดเหงื่อไหล ลมรินก็เพื่อลูกล ก
ยามใดคนไทยเป็นทุ ข์ พ่อยิ่งทุกข์ระทม.. ..หลายเท่า
พวกเราเป็นลูกของ ่อ เกิดบนแผ่นดินพ่อ
ภูมิใจที่ได้เฝ้า อ เฉลิมพระชมน์ 80 พรรษา
เวลาพาโลกเปลี่ยน ป พ่อเรายิ่งใหญ่เห ือกาลเวลา
ขอพรพระสยามเทวา คุ้มชาติศาสนาพระ หากษัตริย์
เหนือแดนสยามธานี เพลานี้ดอกไม้อบอ ล
ศูนย์รวมใจไทยทุก ่วน คือพ่อของเราพระเ ้าอยู่หัว
เหนือเกล้ากระหม่ มขอเดชะ ในวาระนี้คนไทยถ้ นทั่ว
ประเทศไทยรวมใจรว ตัว เปล่งคำจงรักเราร กในหลวง

June 9th, 2008, 11:24
Such a pity we cant treat our own monarchy the same.Are you prepared to have them treat you the same way as the Thai monarchy treats its people?

You've got a point!!!! Keep 'em under.

June 10th, 2008, 05:42

If by 'monarchy', you mean The Queen herself, then I'd say that we do, we just do it in a more subtle way. The British Royal Family gets a lot of bad press admittedly, but The Queen herself is a greatly admired figure both in the UK and abroad. Ok, maybe we don't all stand to attention at 'God Save The Queen' anymore, but that's just the way that we do things these days in the UK. Like the King of Thailand, she is above criticism, and receives no negative press whatsoever. We're still (thankfully) allowed to express our opinions on her in public, whatever those opinions may be, but truth be told, very few people have a bad word to say about her.

The admiration and respect that people hold for her isn't born out of any kind of social pressure to always say nice things about her. Nobody is frowned upon if they were to express negative comments about her. People are free to speak their mind without fear of repercussions, which to my mind, makes her stature all the more real. People genuinely like and respect her because they simply do, not because they're told to. We might not sing songs about our love for our monarch, we might not get offended when someone throws a coin on the floor, or have flower framed pictures of her at every road junction, but that's just because we don't do things like that here. We're much more subtle than that. But that goes for many ways of British life, not just matters to do with the monarch.

That doesn't mean that we hold our Queen in any less regard than the Thais do their King. It's just that we're different cultures, and as such, culturally, we go about it in a different way.

Marsilius
June 10th, 2008, 12:34
Well, fattman, you can certainly count me as one of your "large number of Brits" who think that "the monarchy [is] an anachronism that helps bring in the tourist dollars".

I'd go further and abolish it.

I'd go even further and banish the Queen and her pampered brood to life on a council estate (an idea already explored in two books by Sue Townsend: The Queen and I (1992) and Queen Camilla (2006).)

Where is Oliver Cromwell when you need him?

June 10th, 2008, 16:56
I second that motion. While you're at it, please get rid of those bike riding Oranges in the Netherlands as well.

June 11th, 2008, 09:05

OMG. What nationality are you PP?

manfarang-old
June 12th, 2008, 11:27
I don't know if this historical artifact (http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,934886,00.html) has ever been posted here. If it has, my apologies for the repetition.

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1950/1101500403_400.jpg

June 12th, 2008, 19:41
Did any of you guys catch the Rock Concert shown on TV the other night, which featured many of Thailand's greatest ever rock guitarist's? It was given in honour of another musician who is without any doubt whatsoever, not only the most famous, but also the most well known musician in Thailand of them all. That person being His Majesty The King of Thailand. If you didn't catch it, I can tell you that you missed one hell of a concert. It was absolutely superb and kept me spellbound and glued to the box throughout the entirety of it.

Among those on stage, which included some of the biggest names in Thai music, was arguably Thailand's greatest rock guitarist of them all. One that is a living legend among his own Thai people, as well as being someone that has shared stages with all of ThailandтАЩs heirs to the throne, from Micro to Olarn, and from Ad Carabao to Sek Loso, two Thai music heroes who revere him as ThailandтАЩs Guitar King. I am talking of course, of the one and only Lam Morrison.

From the great generation that produced Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Keith Richards, Lam Morrison, their Thai brother, arose from the rice paddies of Issarn.

For those among you that may be interested in a little bit of Thai history where rock music is concerned, let me give you some where Lam is concerned. When the US troops brought their rock n roll records to Ubon Ratchatani while conducting AmericaтАЩs тАЬSecret WarтАЭ, a young Lam avidly listened, eagerly learned and quickly formed ThailandтАЩs first real rock band, VIP.

VIP toured all the US bases during the Vietnam War, playing reasonable facsimiles of hits from The Stones, Chuck Berry, Jimmi Hendrix, Canned Heat, Cream and The Doors (Lam always jokingly refers to Jim Morrison as his brother) He joined as well as formed bands, touring Germany, Austria, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, France and then over to North America and finally on to Australia.

With the help of Richie Blackmore of Deep Purple, in the early 80тАЩs he signed to EMI Records. His debut album, Night in Bangkok, sold a million copies. This was before there was Grammy Records or national distribution or even real record stores as basically, rock had been banned for years. His million albums were sold at truck stops and service stations, all over Thailand.

Lam used to gig regularly at The Blues Factory here in Pattaya, but now has his own club called The House of Rock, which is just off of Walking Street on Soi Marine. For those among you that are into Rock music and have never had the privilege of either seeing, or of hearing Lam play before, you shouldn't miss out on the opportunity to do so by catching him at his club. You never know who you may see on stage with him, as several VIP's in Thai music often drop by. If you are lucky, you may catch Ad Carabao up on stage or even Sek Loso and if you are super lucky, you may even see me belting out a number with Lam, as I did many times in those days which now seem to me, as ones that are long gone by. ;)

I hope you didn't mind my taking up some space in this thread of yours Henry, especially as it's not completely off topic in as much as it involved both music and The King, as well as allowing me for the first time ever I believe, to be able to make a post in this way, on the subject of music. I can tell you that music has always been as long as I can remember and still remains, my number one passion.................Alright, it's ok, I know what you are thinking, but I can honestly tell you, that the answer is yes, its still my number one passion, even over that passion as well. :iconbiggrin:

I have posted a couple of clips of Lam below, the first one is of him giving his rendition of Gary Moore's Parisienne Walkway back in 1982 and which was from his best selling album, Night in Bangkok. The second is of him at the Blues Factory a couple of years ago, playing Hendrix's Little Wing. I don't believe that either clip does him justice, as I know how much better it is to hear him live. However, you will at least get an idea of his talents from the two clips.

Cheers all,

George.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpfc3N3IWT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VuTaLEe-eY

June 12th, 2008, 20:36
I had never heard of Lam Morrison before. I guess that just goes to show that you learn something every day!

Also -- GREAT guitar!!!!!!

June 13th, 2008, 06:10
That person being His Majesty The King of ThailandThe King Never Smiles is scathing of the King's jazz pretensions

June 13th, 2008, 07:04
I had never heard of Lam Morrison before.

Is it a typo for Van Morrison (http://www.vanmorrison.co.uk/)

dave_tf-old
June 13th, 2008, 10:54
Thanks for the History, George. I enjoyed reading it.

I may have been in that House of Blues place my last Pattaya visit--I rarely actually know where I am after trusting 'him' to take me to someplace fun. But it was a great band, regardless.

Music is a passion of mine as well, and the way I've experienced it's evolution and been drawn to live music there is a large part of the memories I take home. I even got a chance to get on stage at a small bar well before the 'real' customers got there. Nothing to brag about, but a great memory.

Bob sent me some live concert DVD's a few months ago (including a name or two you mentioned) and it was great stuff indeed.

I really do like it all, and hope traditional music remains accessible but it's good for me to see Thailand rocking harder and harder.