PDA

View Full Version : Dismal internet speed due to Government net monitoring ?

Hmmm
June 4th, 2008, 20:33
Net slowdowns suggest Govt is monitoring traffic
The Nation June 4

DON SAMBANDARAKSA

"Thailand's Internet is stuttering with a series of unexplained outages and slowdowns that suggest that the government is running a far-reaching programme to monitor its citizens' online activities, one similar to the US Carnivore email policeware programme. ..."

Full story here:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/Database/04J ... ata003.php (http://www.bangkokpost.com/Database/04Jun2008_data003.php)

PeterUK
June 5th, 2008, 13:06
Interesting article. I wondered why YouTube had become virtually unusable for me, a TOT subscriber.

June 5th, 2008, 13:21
Although I am a bit skeptical about claims in the Bangkok Post by an unnamed former "security expert" who makes wild claims that Google might be in cahoots with the Thai goverernment, I suggest a good VPN to bypass all these troubles. This does the trick for me: www.strongvpn.com (http://www.strongvpn.com). Easy to install and easy to use.

June 5th, 2008, 13:53
DELETED

June 5th, 2008, 14:57
I've found the internet bloody slow these past few days, and today the connection has dropped 3 times so far. As a CAT user usually the service and speeds are excellent. Not at the moment though.

Solomon-520-EDGE modem with AIS multi-sim:
download 206kbps (as usual)
upload 6 kbps (usual around 64-65kbps)
the engineer is looking for a reason.

June 5th, 2008, 23:00
I too had the problem of YouTube being sporadically blocked. I assumed it was just programming error on the part of the clowns in charge of censoring the Net. The problem has now (I think) vanished.

Here is a website for you guys: http://speedtest.adslthailand.com/

It reports the following for me, using the Chiang-Mai-only 3-GSM network.

Download Speed: 3134 kbps (391.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 349 kbps (43.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Well, those speeds apply when it's working! :-0

henri

June 5th, 2008, 23:22
Net slowdowns suggest Govt is monitoring traffic
The Nation June 4

DON SAMBANDARAKSA

"Thailand's Internet is stuttering with a series of unexplained outages and slowdowns that suggest that the government is running a far-reaching programme to monitor its citizens' online activities, one similar to the US Carnivore email policeware programme. ..."

Full story here:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/Database/04J ... ata003.php (http://www.bangkokpost.com/Database/04Jun2008_data003.php)

thailand now police state. i stay pattaya and worst time i have ever seen. like bush (usa) they say only to catch pedos and terrorist. but they make troubles for everybudy. must find new country for sex trip. pattaya is best but now too much black clouds and piss test and raid on bars.

June 5th, 2008, 23:44
Come on "naruk." A police state?

Try Burma, or China, or Cuba.

Gosh! I live in Thailand, and I haven't spoken to a policeman in 8 years! Pretty efficient Police State, huh?

Your comment reminds me of the poor bloke who spent 12 years writing The King Never Smiles. He actually spent a dozen years trying to dig up dirt on the King of Thailand. And, during all those years, he was SURROUNDED by MUCH WORSE governments: in Burma (that's obvious to everyone now), in Laos (still a Communist state), in Cambodia, and in Vietnam. Not to mention China, Russia, Saudia Arabia etc.

June 6th, 2008, 00:30
My KeepVid downloads keep breaking (end prematurely). Recently in the USA everything ran very well. Often strange problems uploading to Picasa, other such websites.

Getting more and more "service not available in your country" mesaages from even free websites outside Thailand. Very disappointing. This breakup of the internet was not supposed to be but apparently companies and governments are starting to draw the lines at national boundaries. I'm getting afraid I will someday be cut off from needed US services.

Lunchtime O'Booze
June 6th, 2008, 00:50
Although I am a bit skeptical about claims in the Bangkok Post by an unnamed former "security expert" who makes wild claims that Google might be in cahoots with the Thai goverernment, I suggest a good VPN to bypass all these troubles. This does the trick for me: www.strongvpn.com (http://www.strongvpn.com). Easy to install and easy to use.

It's a bit pricey but then again if it works it's probably worth it. Do you really use it..and is it fast..or does it slow down your service ??

I've used a free service available with Firefox but it slows everything down to an annoying speed.

I'm also pretty concerned as I do so much banking , business etc via the net these days I have a real fear of being hacked.

I lost about a $1500 after one transaction via one of the biggest UK banks...it was refunded within days but a very frightening experienced. I had the feeling someone could wipe out your entire financial existence !!

June 6th, 2008, 01:05
Come on "naruk." A police state?

Try Burma, or China, or Cuba.

Gosh! I live in Thailand, and I haven't spoken to a policeman in 8 years! Pretty efficient Police State, huh?

Your comment reminds me of the poor bloke who spent 12 years writing The King Never Smiles. He actually spent a dozen years trying to dig up dirt on the King of Thailand. And, during all those years, he was SURROUNDED by MUCH WORSE governments: in Burma (that's obvious to everyone now), in Laos (still a Communist state), in Cambodia, and in Vietnam. Not to mention China, Russia, Saudia Arabia etc.

you not live in pattaya he-he :cheers: you live in fantasy world with messy love scene. he-he :cheers: messy love scene keep you from reality in pattaya he-he :cheers: you have big fluffy dog keep you busy too.

i come thailand only for pretty money boy quick and simple. he-he no distraction with messy side of boring life doing anything but sex. he-he i like burma & vietnam & russia & Laos & CUBA Viva Castro! he-he good sex with boys in CUBA!!! he-he

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: he-he

June 6th, 2008, 01:42
2 guys guest house wireless

Download Speed: 2633 kbps (329.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 398 kbps (49.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

June 6th, 2008, 02:48
From home, supplier TT&T

Download Speed: 2915 kbps (364.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 426 kbps (53.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

I am no expert, but my speed seems fine. Any comments that may help please.

Thanks,

George.

June 6th, 2008, 03:07
>>thailand now police state. i stay pattaya and worst time i have ever seen.

>>messy love scene keep you from reality in pattaya he-he

Well, some day you can figure this out, staying in some place which is the worst you have ever seen and bashing others for not doing the same.

But -- then again -- that would require a brain.

Over and out.

June 6th, 2008, 03:45
Using www.speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net) to test speed to/from San Francisco, using TT&T Maxnet 4Mbps/512Kbps from Jomtien:

June 6th, 2008, 12:09
>>thailand now police state. i stay pattaya and worst time i have ever seen.

>>messy love scene keep you from reality in pattaya he-he

Well, some day you can figure this out, staying in some place which is the worst you have ever seen and bashing others for not doing the same.

But -- then again -- that would require a brain.

Over and out.

you crazy henry. total mis understanding! i like money boys pattaya. still PATTAYA best in world for lots of fast pretty money boys!
you understand? i not like police making pretty money boys full upset with piss test and raids. i not like police anywhere.
do not mis understand. pattaya GOOD! police BAD! now you understand?

come to my ANARCHISTA party i make in sunee and you see. i pay all bills. maybe next week. but you make no black clouds at party. you make black clouds you must go!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

June 6th, 2008, 13:08
DELETED

June 6th, 2008, 17:06
Lunchtime, the VPN works fine. Your speed remains almost the same as your original connection. Sometimes it works faster, because traffic is not routed through the Thai censorship computers. Also, unlike a proxy, there's nothing you need to configure in your email program and your browser.

June 6th, 2008, 17:12
The "Thai censorship computers" are a myth.