PDA

View Full Version : The Shan Peacock Dance (Rehearsal in Chiang Mai)

June 3rd, 2008, 23:29
My apologies -- I posted this earlier in an incorrect format. It's a video taken by Pet, of Mong rehearsing his Peacock Dance. I was told at the time that he was just practising -- in particular, his "wings" are the wings used by the female Peacock dancer. In my next posting, I'll show you the actual performance in Fang with the splendid costume of the male Peacock dancer. (It makes biological sense, after all: peahens are not a bit gorgeous, but peacocks are!) :-)

I think the primary interest of this video is ethnographical -- will this still be around in 20 years, or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-dWjFDhqVQ

pronto
June 4th, 2008, 10:20
Henry, can you tell some more about this. What does the dance represent and when is it used? When, and for what occasion, will it be performed in Fang? I'll arrive Chiang Mai in a few weeks. If there's another rehearsal around that time, I'd like very much to see. Thanks!

June 8th, 2008, 01:15
I have no idea whether this dance "means" anything special, aside from being a general male courtship/display sort of thing. You'll need to find an expert for that.

Of course, you could always ask them yourself when you come to Chiang Mai. Drop me a PM and perhaps we can meet up.