PDA

View Full Version : Working Illegally

Brad the Impala
June 2nd, 2008, 01:09
Penalties for working illegally

Letter in the Phuket Gazette and Response from Phuket Immigration

I worked at a German-owned call center in Rawai for eight months. I have now quit that job because the company would not provide a work permit for me. I do not like breaking the law as I am married to a Thai and would like to continue living in Thailand.

When I started working at the call center, they told me that they would make a work permit for me only after I had worked there for one month and with good performance. I worked hard and sealed many contracts for the company. Compared with the 10 other employees, I was one of the top three.

I discovered that most of the other employees had work permits, but they were not provided by the call center. Some employees used work permits issued on behalf of their own businesses, bars, guesthouses or real estate agencies.

I understand that Thai law states that work permits for employees must be applied for by the company they are working for and that work permits must be issued before the employees start work.

Knowing this, and the fact that my employer did not obtain a work permit for me, I quit. My question is, what can happen to a company and staff if Immigration or other government officers find out that foreigners are working there without work permits, or, with work permits issued for a company other than the one where they are actually employed?

Straight and clear, Phuket. Wednesday, May 14, 2008

тАЬIf Immigration officers discover a foreigner working without a work permit, both the employer and the employee will be prosecuted, regardless of the contract between employer and employee. The employer will be fined between 10,000 and 100,000 baht. The employee will also be fined and deported within 30 days.

The Employment Office does not have the power to close companies illegally employing foreigners. However, the employee will be blacklisted, a record of which is kept at the Immigration Office.

The Employment Office has only three auditors, which are not enough to comprehensively check all illegal workers. However, cases can be reported to the Employment Office by calling 076-219660-1 between 8.30 am and 4.30 pm, Monday to Friday.тАЭ

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 Janya Yingyong, Chief of Work Permit Department, Phuket Provincial Employment Office.

phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1033 (http://phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1033)

June 2nd, 2008, 11:34
AND a work permit can be only be issued for a specific job and a specific location.
A work permit will only for full time jobs (officially), so more than 1 work permit is basically not possible.

It seems to be possible to have more than one work permit, but definitely not easy.
The rule regarding the location is not very strict, especially if the company has a HQ somewhere with alocated workplaces, but in that case, the WP must be submitted with the HQ as main work place.
Not having a WP can be a disaster.