PDA

View Full Version : Can my friend bring his dog to a retirement home in LOS

lonelywombat
May 28th, 2008, 19:01
Jeffrey who is looking to migrate to a warmer climate {LOS], asked me today can he take his dog to Thailand.

I have only seen mongrels on the beach and do not know what the local rules are.

His questions are

Q1 Can my dog live with me in a condo????? Which condos are dog friendly? Which ones are not?

Q2 Can I take my dog to the beach ? On lead or off lead?

Q3 What permits do I need

Q4 What are the quarantine requirements

May 28th, 2008, 20:47
I have only seen mongrels on the beach

That is a very unkind way to refer to your fellow farangs who occupy the chairs on jomtien beach. :cheese:

May 28th, 2008, 21:34
I think the answer is yes to most of his questions. The dog will I believe have to go thru a quarantine.. I would have him contact his local vet to see what the requirements are. Of course some condos to do not allow pets but he can always rent a home or townhome. Not sure if I would bring a pet over as the pet would have to go thru a quarantine everytime the owner left. What type of visa would he get?

May 28th, 2008, 21:49
It is easy to bring your dog to Thailand. There are no quarantine requirements. We brought two dogs and three cats from the US three years ago. Step one: get an import permit from Thai customs for your pets. You can have one of your friends, Thai vet or Thai lawyer get one from Thai Customs at the BKK airport. Step two: get all of the required shots and a health certificate from your local vet. (have the vet leave the health certificate date blank so you can fill it in for the date of departure.) Step three: get airline reservations for the dog. (EVA transports animals and takes great care of them in transit.) Step 4: arrive at the airport with all of your paperwork in order, have Fido in an airplane crate and have the dog's water frozen (no food), so that it thaws in transit, give the Fido a pill so he sleeps most of the way. If you are departing US Homeland Insecurity will want to feel up your dog for drugs and bombs. Then Fido is on his way. Upon arrival in BKK go to customs with your paper work pay the import fee (If forget how much, but not much), pick Fido up like a piece of luggage and wheel him out of the airport. And yes, the crate will be full of pee and shit, so Fido will want out NOW!!!!! If you bring a couple of gallons of water to the airport you can clean the crate before you load it and Fido up in the car, van or truck.

As to if you can have a dog in a condo...that would depend on the condo. You can take your dog with you most anywhere you go except the the malls. Dogs are even in many of the restaurants.

May 28th, 2008, 23:04
Q2 Can I take my dog to the beach ? On lead or off lead?

One of my absolute pet hates (excuse the pun). The moron owners (and especially the poseurs with a ridiculous looking toy dog, with a coloured bow in its hair, either in their arms or trotting along on a short leash) who turn up at the beach with their canine pets really do get me riled. They let their animals crap and piss anywhere they like on the sand with the owner giving no thought that someone may unwittingly follow them to the same area to lie down to sunbathe or get a massage.

I had one occasion at Dongtan where I asked a farang owner to clear up the crap that their dog had just deposited and was aggressively told that if I wanted it cleared to do it myself. My b/s went and reported this idiot to the police box. One of the BIB came and handed him a 1000 Baht on-the-spot fine, told him to leave straight away and not to bring the dog to the beach again.

Dogs should be permanently banned from all beaches (and parks for that matter).

May 28th, 2008, 23:09
What is wrong with pets at the beach or in parks as long as the owners are considerate and pick up after them?
They aren't and don't - that's the problem!

lonelywombat
May 29th, 2008, 05:52
What is wrong with pets at the beach or in parks as long as the owners are considerate and pick up after them?
They aren't and don't - that's the problem!

Thanks for all replies FYI the dog is a golden retriever, obedience trained and where we live all dog owners have to carry dog litter bags or risk a heavy fine if they fail to clean up

The dog lives in a condo now so that is not a problem

jvt22222
May 29th, 2008, 06:58
Not likely that any condo in Pattaya/Jomtien will permit dogs or other such pets (cats) .......... maybe birds ok, definitely fish. None of the View Talays will permit pets so assume that is the case with all of the other equivalent condos.

June 4th, 2008, 20:39
Not likely that any condo in Pattaya/Jomtien will permit dogs or other such pets (cats) .......... maybe birds ok, definitely fish. None of the View Talays will permit pets so assume that is the case with all of the other equivalent condos.

I'd rather let the dogs in and keep some of the ferral farangs out!