PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo, Taipei or HK?

colmx
May 28th, 2008, 03:34
Hi All
I'm planning a little side trip on my next trip to thailand (whernever that will be)

Have had great experiences in teh past with super looking guys from Tokyo, Taipei and HK?

So my question is which of these cities would you recommend for a visit?

I am looking purely for hookups and not really interested in (much( tourist stuff...

HK boys usually look the cutest (for me) and have the advantage of speaking English...

Japanese boys have that kiknky edge... but not sure how welcoming they are of Gaijin on the gay scene there?

American raised Taiwan friend of mine tells me taipei guys are boring when it comes to going out and partying... Anyone else got good experiences of Taipei?

If i manage to get the time off that i am going to applay for tomorrow i may even visit all 3 - and include a short stopover in Sydney!

Looking forward to your responses!

Smiles
May 28th, 2008, 08:31
Colmx you slut!

Anyway, can't say much about Chinese guys (Taipei, Hong Kong). I think many Chinese guys are extraordinarily handsome (and also many not so) and they seriously turn my crank. But unfortunately no experience (of much note) in the past.

I have however had a very very hot, 2-year relationship with a young Japanese guy (in Vancouver, and before I ever hit Thailand's shores) which was probably the most sexually unrestrained relationship I've ever had.
I really liked him, and he really liked me (always a big plus!), but in the long run he had other more important issues to take care of (him being in the spring of his life, me being only 7 or 8 years from retirement). But the man ('Shinji' by name) was a total cracker sex-wise, and I'll certainly never regret that fabulous yet short-lived affair. These are pleasant memories which Mr Pot need not be concerned with . . . but a part of my life nonetheless.

Bottom line: hook up with a hot Nippon man and never look back. But it ain't easy!

Cheers & good luck ...

Colmx, a lot of the Gay Tokyo websites are quite out of date. There's a guy's Blog here about Tokyo and gay spots (updated in July 2007, pretty recent) . . . includes a decent map of the largest Tokyo gay area ( http://sunbuns.blogspot.com/2007/06/cru ... tokyo.html (http://sunbuns.blogspot.com/2007/06/cruising-in-tokyo.html) ). Googling 'gay tokyo' receives a million hits.

May 28th, 2008, 15:25
If you only want sex, Tokyo is your only choice from that three. Treat them like tissue paper and they'll do the same for you in a friendly and mutual way.

In all three scenes you're only going to get the potato queens and will be thought a nuisance, or worse, if you pursue those who are not interested.

yaraboy
May 29th, 2008, 02:09
Yes Japanese guys are hot but the scene is frustrating as the venues are often difficult to find (No English). Highly recommend you hook up on line to have someone guide you around. Only a minority of bars are gaijin friendly. A lot of research is required if you are on your own

colmx
May 29th, 2008, 03:44
Hi Guys
Thanks for the info so far!

I'm not really a total slut.... But i do like to have fun when i'm out and about!

Approached my boss about 3 months off today... Waiting for him to open discussions with me about in now... Hoping BF will get new visa for Aug/sept to Ireland - so won't get travelling until Nov

Plan at the moment is:
Bkk 3 02/11/2008
Sydney 6 06/11/2008
Tokyo 3 14/11/2008
Beijing 0 17/11/2008
Taipei 3 17/11/2008
HongKong 3 20/11/2008

BJ is in for 0 days as i'm not sure if i want to go there or not!
Then off to LOS for 2 months of fun and sun (and BF!)

24 Kaikan in Shinjuku looks interesting... how does it compare to Club17 in S'pore?

Bob
May 29th, 2008, 05:19
I'm not really a total slut....

Don't worry, I've called a good friend (Khun Joe) of mine a slut for years and it's actually a term of endearment (and, perhaps, a little hidden jealousy). My guess is Khun Smile's intent was close to the same.

yaraboy
May 29th, 2008, 09:44
Hope you can find 24 Kaikan in Shinjuku...because I could not!

May 29th, 2008, 14:17
If you book a room for 2 hours you have to leave the Sauna after 2 hours. Make sure you take the locker option.

Some say the Ueno branch is better.

Saunas run by a certain Yakusa enterprise, probably the biggest one, discriminate against non-Japanese. Some Oriental friends who go there, feign the inability to speak and if you don't look oriental forget it. There have always been about three bars that welcome non-orientals, "gaijin" , but my original guide Mishima's "Forbidden Colors" has been out of date since sometime in the 1970s.

During the 1980's, money boys were not very common in parts of the Tokyo Scene, that gaijin had access to. Since the crash of 1990 this is no longer true and you may be approached aggressively by street walking money boys. They state their high price up-front.

The Japanese are quite "westernised" with respect to age and wrinkles appeal to very few. Fetish play, however, includes business suits, ties (preferably Eton or Winchester; they study these things in great detail) as well as well rounded stomachs.

Brad the Impala
May 29th, 2008, 15:26
Don't rule out Taipei. I had a great time when working there ten years ago. Easy to find cute partners in the saunas and clubs.

May 29th, 2008, 20:26
ties (preferably Eton or Winchester

Winchester? What a strange choice ....

cottmann
May 30th, 2008, 09:55
Yes Japanese guys are hot but the scene is frustrating as the venues are often difficult to find (No English). Highly recommend you hook up on line to have someone guide you around. Only a minority of bars are gaijin friendly. A lot of research is required if you are on your own

See http://www.japanvisitor.com/index.php?cID=362&pID=1074

November is a good time to visit Tokyo - not too cold and reasonably rain-free.

lonelywombat
May 30th, 2008, 10:23

See http://www.japanvisitor.com/index.php?cID=362&pID=1074

November is a good time to visit Tokyo - not too cold and reasonably rain-free.

Go back through this forum there have been a number of posts re japan with good info

This site for caucasion wanting to meet japanese and vice versa, is full of interesting info

it is free to join www.jguyusguy.org (http://www.jguyusguy.org)

the membership is handled by "groupee" you will get a link from the main page.

May 30th, 2008, 15:48
ties (preferably Eton or Winchester

Winchester? What a strange choice ....

I suppose it is the Jacobean connection, or some other scandalous reputation, that rules out Harrow. That selection was actually taken from a Japanese mail order catalogue offering "preppy" clothing, admittedly in the 1980s. They were actually offering genuine Eton OB and Wykehamist ties.

May 31st, 2008, 14:58
I suppose it is the Jacobean connection, or some other scandalous reputation, that rules out Harrow.

Jacobean? Merchant Taylors is far more guilty!

Scandalous? Now that's a possibility!

Forty years on, who cares ....

colmx
August 7th, 2008, 05:09
Hi All
Just wanted to update on this thread

I have more or less been granted teh 3 months of work that i applied for - so now its time to plan my trip!

I have decided against heading to Sydney and try my luck in Shanghai and Beijing instead
Curent plan is as follows:

City Days Arrive Depart
Bkk 4 02/11/2008 06/11/2008
Tokyo 4 06/11/2008 10/11/2008
HK 4 10/11/2008 14/11/2008
BJ 4 14/11/2008 18/11/2008
Shanghai 4 18/11/2008 22/11/2008
Taipei 4 22/11/2008 26/11/2008
Bkk 60 26/11/2008 25/01/2009

So as you can see i have allowed 3 nights in Bkk on my way there (time with Bf)

And then 4 nights in each of Tokyo, HK, BJ, Shaghai and Taipei

Are there any other places or cities I am missing out on?
Am i spending too much or too little time in any of the destinations?

I am thinking of adding Xian - so i can see the terracotta warriors, but would only stay there 1-2 days

I would say that I am a tourist:sex tourist in the ratio 40:60 :geek:
(The great wall, Beijing Birdsnest and Taipei 101 are on my list of things to see)

Have been to singapore, malaysia, laos and cambodia in the past - and will probably visit vietnam in teh middle of the 60 days Bkk stay above....

August 7th, 2008, 08:31
Personally, I would skip China altogether. Awful place full of awful people. But, I suppose you need to see it once for yourself if you have not been there before.

martin911
August 7th, 2008, 20:25
I would agree also regarding China,skip it,not such a nice place,i go there(from Ireland)abt 4 times a year on business(with stops in los)and alsways cant wait to get back to los,just so unfriendly.
I suppose it has too be seen but dont waste much time there in my humble op.

RonanTheBarbarian
August 8th, 2008, 04:06
Sounds like an interesting itinerary colmx.

What airlines are you flying (particularly the Dublin -BKK leg)?

Are you anticipating any problem with the China visa?

colmx
August 8th, 2008, 04:52
Hi Ronan
No idea about flights yet
Or chinese visas - guy in work got one through the small firms association last week...тВм75 for a 3 day turn around....

Seems they want full itineraries and confirmed accomodation for every night u will be there!

Might just pretend to go there and visit the hot spots of KL and Singapore instead (again!)

Def wanna visit HK, Taipei and Japan though....
Had 2 very interesting encounters with HK+Taiwan guys in London last weekend!

BTW - T.. will be here in 10 days... so keep ur weekends free!

colmx
August 10th, 2008, 00:03
Hi Guys
Just wondering if anyone can recommend any nice hotels in teh cities i am planning on visiting?
Want to be near teh gay night life...
So far i have found the following:

Tokyo: Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku Hotel
Seems good at 4000Bper night
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... Kanto.html (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1066456-d320581-Reviews-Sunroute_Plaza_Shinjuku_Hotel-Shibuya_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html)

Hong Kong: Lan Kwai Fong Hotel
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... _Kong.html (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294217-d603110-r18114101-Lan_Kwai_Fong_Hotel-Hong_Kong.html)

Amybody any comments on these hotel or want to recommend others?

What about for Taipei, Beijing and Shanghai... anybody any recommendations?
Thanks in Advance!

August 11th, 2008, 05:24
The Tokyo gay scene is in Shinjuku. You might want to stay there instead of Shibuya, although Shibuya is fine in all other respects.

colmx
August 11th, 2008, 05:45
Hi z909
I think Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku Hotel is in Shinjuku?
Or at least thats why i chose it!

August 12th, 2008, 02:25
Colmx,

Yes you are right -the reference to Shibuya in the address is a little confusing.
That will be nicely within about 10 min walking distance of the gay area.

colmx
October 17th, 2008, 07:07
Hi All
I shall soon be heading off on this trip....
Would love to hear of anybodies recent experiences or travel tips for the following cities

Tokyo (Shinjuku)
Beijing
Shanghai
Hong Kong

I used to live in Sydney so feel i know there well enough
Have also been to Singapore 3 times before so know where i am going there... But the other 4 cities are new to me.

I will be able to find the tourist attractions no problem andhave scoured Utopia intensively.... But would be interested in any input from this board... Especially in relation to night spots, saunas etc

Thanks in Advance!

October 18th, 2008, 04:17
Kaikan Sauna in Shinjuku is good.

See the map on the following site:
http://www.utopia-asia.com/japntoky.htm

King of Castle does rent boys - it's located directly opposite a 7-11 on one of the streets close to the Sauna.
About 15,000 yen for 1 hour a couple of years back.

bjbjboy
October 18th, 2008, 16:21
Can you tell us your updated list of hotels, with your destinations?
1) Tokyo: I see the Sunroute Shinjuku is one. I think that will be good. Some smaller hotels in Japan require you to leave the key when you leave the building, so they might not let you have a guest late at night. But usually Sunroute are bigger hotels. If you can find Shinjuku 3-Chome subway station, there are often gay maps that list that place, so you will probably be able to find 24 Kaikan by starting there if you're lost. Alternatively, about 1-2 blocks away is a small street with two gay bookstores, one I think is called Books Rose. Ask someone in those places, and they're probably going to be able to help you ("Ni-ju-yon Kaikan wa doko dess ka?" is how you ask, "Where is 24 Kaikan?").
2) I lived in Beijing 7 years ago; it really is a GREAT city--Just go onto gay dot com or gayromeo, and specify you don't want a money-boy, and you will meet some very nice guys. Best to ask around about where you can meet guys (clubs, bars, and saunas rarely stay open more than a few years, so it's not very useful to look online or a guidebooks for gay Beijing).
For hotel: Try to stay either in Central or North-eastern Beijing; it's a HUGE city, and traffic can be horrible, so location is key, though there is a (now post-Olympics, more than one line!) subway system that is reliable and cheap that can get you North-South and East-West, as well as a loop line around the central part of town.
Finally, I know you're not interested in sightseeing, but if you're in Beijing for a few days, take the one-hour taxi ride (sometimes less, depending on where your hotel is) to the Great Wall in Badaling. If you are comfortable with any taxi guy you have in your first day or two, ask him how much for about a day trip to Badaling. It shouldn't cost you more than US$100, but possibly even cheaper. You can definitely do it cheaper with a tour, but then you're dealing with a tour guide, stops at the Ming Tombs (yawn), and probably some ungodly jade market!, so When you get to Badaling, take the tram up the mountain, then walk up, up, up, a bit further, until you've passed all of the other lazy tourists. Then, start going down, a bit farther away. Badaling, since it's the most touristy, is the best-preserved area of the wall. It's also the most crowded but ONLY at the areas nearest the tram--it's actually wonderfully peaceful and serene to sit on the wall, with a packed lunch (either from you hotel or go to a supermarket and get some cheese, bread, and wine) and have your snack before coming back down. You will never forget the feeling, sitting almost alone on the Great Wall, just listening to the wind blow......but guidebooks and others will tell you it's a circus at Badaling--it IS, but only at the bottom. Take a bit of a hike, but it's truly one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences.

OK, back to the sex tour: :) Whew!
3) HKG is seriously easy to meet guys online, and some might be happy to take you out. I am not so impressed by HKG saunas; GameBoys is just not that nice--I do think most HKG boys seem to meet online. There are a few clubs too, usually in WanChai area. Not as many gay things to do in Kowloon, though more tourists seem to stay there. HKG Island side has more gay bars, clubs, and saunas, plus plenty of business hotels and reasonably-priced ones.
I don't know Shanghai well, but in Tokyo and in Beijing, just ask someone young for help, and they will either 1) speak a bit of English, if you speak slowly and clearly enough or 2) try to help you.
Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

colmx
October 19th, 2008, 01:12
Hi bjbjboy
Thanks for your very informative reply!
I do intend to do some touristy stuff too - its just much easier to find tourist info than gay info!

I'll be staying in:
BJ:
Courtyard by Marriot in BJ, its in the Chongwen area - so i think quite central
I understand that "destination" near the Workers stadium is the place to go in BJ

Regarding the BJ moneyboys - i guess its a bit like DJ station- when you pull you don't know if they are MBs or not until the sex is over?
If i do happen to get stung - what is the going rate?
Or do MoneyBoys usually let you know they are for rent and discuss the price up front?

HK:
Staying in Cosmopolitan hotel in Wanchai. A HK friend tells me that its easy to get to everywhere from there and i got a room with a view of the Happy Valley race course at a ridiculously cheap price on Qantas' website

Shanghai:
Astor House hotel - gay chinese friend who was based in ireland stayed there recently and really enjoyed it.
Unfortunately i'm in Shanghai from a Monday till thursday - so don't think i'll get to experience much nightlife.... Luckily the chinese guy (above) will still be there when i arrive so hopefully he'll be able to guide me about... if not i also have a few contacts on fridae!

Singapore:
Staying in the Golden Landmark-A Far East Hotel:
will be there on a mon and tue night - again unfortunate timing - but from my previous experiences there the pubs are crapc ompared to the saunas anyway!
I think there is a sauna quite near the golden landmark?

Kylie minogue is playing on one of the nights that i'm in singapore - i'm sure all the gays will be at that concert - so might have to join them!

Thanks again to everyone for their posts so far!