PDA

View Full Version : Phuket Trip Report - May '08

Sen Yai
May 18th, 2008, 18:08
IтАЩve noticed that some posters have made passing references to recent visits to Phuket, but I was disappointed that no one bothered to post a trip report. So, hereтАЩs a brief up-date from my trip last week.

I last visited Phuket at the height of the peak season at New Year and was quite surprised at the crowds of people and large volume of traffic on the streets then. So returning in May, at the end of the season, I was expecting a big contrast. But I was again surprised that whilst there were fewer numbers around, Patong was still quite busy тАУ busier than previous years I am sure тАУ and there was still a lot of traffic on the roads. There used to be only a few тАШtuk-tuksтАЩ lazily cruising along Thaweewong road in the middle of the day, but the new (permanent?) one-way system now ensures there is a constant flow of traffic everywhere making it hard to cross the roads at anytime.

The weather was quite variable with some heavy showers blowing through (the tail end of cyclone Nargis that caused all the destruction in Burma) but when the sun shone, the beach was quite busy. But the surf and rough sea meant that the jaet sa-kii boys were not doing good business.

The тАШgay-beachтАЩ is still located near the look-out tower, but the redevelopment of the old Patong Beach Bungalows site is nearly complete and the new La Flora Resort (http://www.phuket.com/laflorapatong/) is open for business. This place is nothing like the old bungalows it replaces, and with low season rates starting at THB 7,000 rising to 9,800 for the cheapest rooms in the next peak season, itтАЩs aiming at a very different market. I wonder how long it will be before the try to chase the gays away from тАШtheirтАЩ beach in front?

The bars and clubs in the Paradise Complex were all quite busy too with a good crowd of gay farang and Asian visitors in town. My Way was playing to a full house each night (although the crowds were supplemented by a few groups of str8, mostly Asian tourists) The shows were of the same high standard and Khun Bon was there all the time interacting with his performers on stage and being a good host to everyone there.

Tangmo was not so busy and apart from a mild make over for the stage back-drop, the place, like the performers, is looking a little tired. Khunying Tangmo was not around when I was there and the other mamasans were looking as bored as the audience. The boys here are all the younger (but surely 18+) queeny types, compared to the more mixed and macho at My Way.

For me, the best bar currently is the relative new-comer, also managed by Khun Bon, BB Studio. This place, like My Way, is a clean, well decorated and furnished bar, run more like a Bangkok go-go bar, with boys dancing in boxer-briefs earlier in the evening and two shows later, which are тАШall boyтАЩ with not a katoey in sight. The shows are imaginative, with well choreographed dance routines and even тАШsexy-showsтАЩ with near-nudity and simulated sex routines тАУ the real McCoy still not allowed in Phuket. They even have a guy imported from a Bangkok bar that does what they coyly call a 'tomahawk show', who whips out his weapon and shows it off around the audience.

Everywhere else seemed much the same as always. Passport and Mamasan bars each have about 10 boys and anything from 0 to 2 customers at any time. All the restaurant/beer-bar places like Connect, Knuds, James Dean and Maprang all seemed to be doing good business and, as usual, some of the best looking boys in Patong are working/hanging around at these bars. There seemed to by a new open fronted bar next to My Way, called White Lotus (or something like that) тАУ it looked attractive, but I didnтАЩt have the time to visit. Boat Bar and Kiss discos are still popular after the show bars close, and each put on a brief show of their own. Galaxy seems to be the late-late venue of choice for the local boys these days, but I'm not sure Night Station is still around.

So as far as I could see, the season in Phuket is still swinging along, but more monsoons are sure to arrive next month and things will then quieten down until November.

TrongpaiExpat
May 28th, 2008, 00:30
I got got back from a Phuket trip too so here is my update on your update, 10 days later.

The Bars: On the two night I went to My Way there were only a few customers. I was wondering one night with only 4 people in the bar if they would go ahead with the show, they did.

BB I agree, the best bar and best show. Bangkok sex show imported and some entertaining newish numbers not the same-old, same-old.

The rest: Nice selection of boys, a good mix of types and the all bars all the time, drinks only 100B. No pushy door men, no pushy mama sans.

It did seem to be women's and straight couples nights all week. Single gay males out numbered 10 to 1. Several times I looked in and noticed bars with no customers.

Club One Seven: This was my first visit and I liked it. The location is inconvenient if you do not have your own transportation. You can walk to the beach but only on the far end, it's quite a hike to the quasi gay section of the beach. The small pool is nice but very small. The lobby is quite cluttered but you just pass by, you don't live there. The breakfast 8 to 11, cooked to order was good, several selections including some Thai options. No lift, we were on the third floor. What they call a river view is more of a drainage ditch. There is no off street parking. Thai style shower--on floor--but wonderful water pressure. Comfortable bed. Good off season rates.

Patong looks busy but if you got rid of all the red truck/taxis and all the people working there, few would be on the street. The taxis take most the curb parking. Most of them stayed parked as few are willing to pay their inflated prices. Car and motocy rentals are quite reasonable. I rented a Honda Jazz from Nine Rental for 800 per day.

We saw the aftermath of two bad motorcycle accidents, on on that curving hill approaching Patong and the other in just outside Phuket Town. The Patong guy looked quite dead. Motocy drivers in Phuket seem not to look, drive in the middle of the road, rather than close to the side and drive faster than anywhere else.

We drove to Rawai Beach and arranged a long-tail boat snorkeling trip around Kho Lon, Bon, Ton, and Maiton for under 1000B, all day. Similar boat tours are offered by hotels and tour companies are two and three times that price. Cut all the middle men out and just deal with the boat owner.

It might be the 'off-rainy' season but we got lucky with the rain. Only at late night and not for long. Not a single wash out day all week.

Beachlover
June 24th, 2008, 08:08
The bangkok import who strips naked at BBB Patong has a very hot body!

I just wish he wouldn't cover his cock up with a condom... is this supposed to get around the "no nudity" rule?

I wish the rest of the boys would show more skin...

June 24th, 2008, 10:27
I'll be coming to Thailand on July 16th, I believe. How much time would be sufficient to visit Phuket?

I'm planning on around 5 days for Pattaya. Maybe I'll just stay in Pattaya for 10 days and forego Phuket.

Sen Yai
June 24th, 2008, 13:00
I suggest you stay 10 days in Phuket and forget Pattaya.