PDA

View Full Version : Drug 'set ups' in Thailand

May 16th, 2008, 22:04
I view of recent events in Pattaya, I found this article of interest in a Thailand Magazine out now.

From the тАШBig ChilliтАЩ Bangkok Magazine. May 2008.

Drugs sting

YEARS ago, a succession of tourists were arrested as they were about to leave Thailand at Don Munag airport with illegal drugs in their possession. The ability to spot these felons was simply stunning тАУ unless, of course, they had been тАШset upтАЩ with the specific aim of catching them in the act. No such cases have been reported recently at ThailandтАЩs airports, but that canny knack of catching drug dealers and carriers continues elsewhere. And it seems somewhat implausible for the driver of a car to be pulled up randomly and found in possession of illegal substances. Unless, of course, he or she had been set up. Of course, the only way to avoid such a situation is to obey the law and donтАЩt get involved in drugs!

Any comments should not have any names or cases mentioned please.

May 17th, 2008, 00:49
Mrs.Bucket,
Don't believe all you read in the tabloid magazines or newspapers.

Drug set-ups are like the gerry that just got nicked in Sunee without his nickers around his ancles and his best friend "dick" embedded in two Chicken's "he didn't do it of course" despite the 2 used condoms laying at his feet, planted agene I suppose, just having a ham shank so we were your honner.

The local constabulary have all day to sit around scratching there posteriors watching these perverts and druggies doin there thing, they know what exactly what they're up to and give them just enough room to feel safe with there dirty little habits, then they pounce.
Don't think there's such a thing as an innocent tourist with a bag full of drugs or a room and photo album full of kids.

Mr. Jinks watch this thread it may start to drag out that same tired worn out old story.

gumblebee
May 17th, 2008, 04:02
Setup doesn't have to be police. I would for example not be amazed if some drug barons occasionally setup some naive tourist just to keep the police happy (and not looking too much in their direction - too difficult to catch).

May 17th, 2008, 04:28
Mr. Jinks watch this thread it may start to drag out that same tired worn out old story.

It might be a tired worn out story to you sir, but it is a daily nightmare to those who indeed were/might have been set up. You seem to be applying that the Thai BIB or the judiciary are not corruptible and that everything one reads in the tabloid press is in fact just hyped hearsay!

Lunchtime O'Booze
May 17th, 2008, 10:22
It's certainly true that many poorer Thais are seduced into becoming "mules" for professional drug dealers and being flown to international countries like Aust. NZ, USA etc 2 at a time with a minder seperately on the plane. The usual tired old method of swallowing condoms filled with cocaine or heroin is used often with fatal results for the "mule".

Sadly the "mule" may be caught and sentenced to many years in jail ( fortunately probably in far better conditions than they live in at home) but it's a highly horrible trade.

As for local police having their eye on the ball..they probably most certainly do know who the big players are and profit handsomely from it. Any sad local or silly farang caught just makes good newspaper fodder to look like something is being done. This isn't confined to Thailand and has reached countries everywhere as I peruse the net and come across this completely bizarre account :

Terrorism raid 'message'
COUNTER-TERRORISM police yesterday raided the homes of two Sydney men with allegedly extremist Islamic views to "send a message" they were being closely watched and dissuade them from any plans to engage in a terrorist act.

sounds like Thought Police to me.

Meanwhile-one should take a look at the magnificent seaside holiday homes of some of the Thai and Burmese army generals.

May 17th, 2008, 14:30
sanook
I think the Thai police try to do what they can to have law and order with the little resources and training they have to work with.

I have to say that most of what you read in the tabloids is to a great degree speculation and innuendo and should be treated with skepticism unless of course if there are pictures to back up there claims but even they can be manipulated. Most alleged investigative reporters have the attitude if we cant get to the facts well just make it up as we go along, also if the truth if its not sensational enough its off no interest to them or indeed to most of the reading pubic.

May 17th, 2008, 15:57
Open your eyes JJDeed, I wonder if you actually know what the salary of a Thai Police General is, and how many lower rank police men are also driving around in Merc's or wearing Rolex watches (real not fake). Working along side many Thai lawyers for a number of years within the Thai criminal system certainly opens ones eyes to the going's on within the Thai justice system.
We all know who you are referring to and what article, and I wonder what your qualifications or standing within the Thai community is to be able to say he or they are "Guilty" and it's the hyped up media that has it wrong!

May 17th, 2008, 16:41
Despite that JJDeed wants actual pictures of corruption and setups, doen't first person accounts have as much weight when the same issue continues over and over? To get video would be very hard since usually the person being setup doesn't know he is being set up. However, I think there was a youtube video that showed a Thai police man pulling money from his shirt and then counting it....not a small sum.

Once when I was at the airport (Don Muang) a policeman stopped me and asked me to buy him a bottle of Johnny Walker inside the duty free area and pass it to him. I asked my Thai friend if he would do it since I was scarred of what might happen as a farang. Not sure if something would happen if I did not do it either. The policeman took it and "forgot" to pay us for it.

Another example, a bar owner told me (many years ago) that he had to pay bribes to 5 different policeman. If he did not he could have easily been set up.

More; while driving I have had to give bribes to police or face more "problems". I know I had not been speeding or done anything else wrong...who knows what could have happened....maybe drugs found in my car???

Not any of these have been caught on video. I don't usually walk around with a camera taped to my head "just in case".

Several international watch groups have listed Thailand police/judicial system as very corrupt. The "drug crack down" of a few years ago where innocent people were even murdered is an example not caught on tape.

May 17th, 2008, 16:56
'Facts are available'

Well said Pattaya Mail, and one should also note that no establishment be it a Go-Go Bar or a legitimate expensive restaurant can operate without paying a 'monthly fee' to a 'pet policeman' I could well imagine a restaurant owner secretly filming the payoff then trying to get justice. How long do you think his business would last or indeed how long would it be before some dodgy pills etc., were found in his personal possessions!

May 19th, 2008, 13:58
DELETED

Lunchtime O'Booze
May 19th, 2008, 14:04
"one should also note that no establishment be it a Go-Go Bar or a legitimate expensive restaurant can operate without paying a 'monthly fee' to a 'pet policeman' I could well imagine a restaurant owner secretly filming the payoff then trying to get justice."

considering it costs about 5000 baht for 2 chaps on a motorbike to plug a couple of bullets in your head I don't think the secret filming of a payoff is very advisable if you intend to stay around in town to still do business.

TrongpaiExpat
May 19th, 2008, 14:16
I can understand the go-go's having to pay the police tea money but I don't understand why a restaurant that just serves food (legal food) has to pay? I have seen it too, some do pay but I still have no idea why? I asked one farang restaurant owner in Bangkok and I the response was, "don't ask".

May 19th, 2008, 18:05
In the Pattaya Mail this week the two that can't be names are photographed with the UK Ambassador at some function and named. Wonder if they had a word in the ear of the Ambassador about KQ's case???

What are you implying here john that the Brit Ambassador was somehow involved with then in that case, did they have a word in his ear before or after the event ?? better hope they're not reading this form and take offense, they might just give him a call re your bf's visa and hey presto weed have another set up on our hands, just like the other threads are saying is happening to all the pedos that the BIB have arrested lately, really dear you really shouldn't get so concerned about people having a little hand pressing, back slapping and a glass of wine together. I'm sure they at least got to talk to him, and got a lot more sense out of him than you did with that guy on that boat you were on lately.
By the way was that jerry that was arrested the other day abusing the boys in sunee a member of you branch of the Rotary Club ???.

May 19th, 2008, 18:13
In the Pattaya Mail this week the two that can't be names are photographed with the UK Ambassador at some function and named. Wonder if they had a word in the ear of the Ambassador about KQ's case???

What are you implying here john that the Brit Ambassador was somehow involved with then in that case, did they have a word in his ear before or after the event ?? better hope they're not reading this form and take offense, they might just give him a call re your bf's visa and hey presto weed have another set up on our hands, just like the other threads are saying is happening to all the pedos that the BIB have arrested lately, really dear you really shouldn't get so concerned about people having a little hand pressing, back slapping and a glass of wine together. I'm sure they at least got to talk to him, and got a lot more sense out of him than you did with that guy on that boat you were on lately.
By the way was that jerry that was arrested the other day abusing the boys in sunee a member of you branch of the Rotary Club ???.

You can tell it's a full moon as all the lunatics are out in force. JJDeed, whenever I read a post of yours I picture a near illiterate product of an incestuous affair living somewhere deep in the darkest Ozarks. Is that "Dueling Banjos" I hear playing in your background? No offense intended, some of my best friends are... blah... blah... blah

May 19th, 2008, 18:28
No offense taken rawsugar you cant offend this old weathered boot. looking at your picture by your postings perhaps a bit of raw meat would be appropriate for dinner tonight dear, and don't forget the valium you look like you badly need to increase the dose your taking.

Smiles
May 19th, 2008, 22:40
Nice to see that contacts are being kept up with Higher Powers regarding issues around gay businesses in Pattaya.
Mr Botting's alluded-to pictures are here, with the men in question wearing 'comfortable' clothes . . . (not often the case): http://www.pattayamail.com/current/travel.shtml (Just scroll down the page a bit . . . there's a lot of stuffed-shirt photos to wade through before landing on the picture in question).

Ambassador Quinton Quayle is referred to as " ... witty and inspirational ... "

Cheers ...

Lunchtime O'Booze
May 19th, 2008, 22:48
wasn't there a western movie with a hanging judge called JJ Deeds ??

presumably one of the duties of the British Ambassador ( or any) is to inquire after the welfare of one of Her Majesties citizens.

and if our Rotarian expired..he died an innocent man.

May 20th, 2008, 09:28
DELETED

May 20th, 2008, 16:58
Blimey you guys get carried away eh, on other boards Mr Deeds would be a goner.
The guy would appear to be braindead. NOt unintelligent, just incapable of understanding a worldview other than his own.
Why oh why is it so important for people to get caught up in what other people do, why not just live your life?
Where are the realists here?

If you want to stop paedophiles from doing it with boys either murder them all at birth, or acknowledge their existence and figure out some way to allow them to have some sense of self in their lives. Why, because you happen to be gay, (or straight for that matter) should you be entitled to any more recognition than a paedophile? I am not saying a paedophile should be able to 'do it', I AM saying that until we acknowledge that these people exist and do something to HELP them to moderate their sexuality we will never solve the problem of of their coming to Thailand or wherever for sex. And the reason they come to places like Thailand, is because in their own countries they would of course be treated as pariahs, and because those countries are so bound up in the 'victim system' they have no time for reality, though they do have time for witch hunts.

And the boys? They will always be there until you and everyone else goes to Issan and every other place of economic hardship in Thailand (or the world) and relieves that hardship; and even then they will still be there.

Let a man (or woman) take a stroll through Sunnee, or for that matter on the edges of all the gay areas. There are always under-age boys, there used to be loads more and it was never a problem. The younger boys were looked after better if they were in bars and had a support network. There was no major concern with the Police apart from the odd raid well warned of. Sure the cops got paid but in reality the cops in Thailand are cool if you know how it works. They, are also realists. .

The reality is that 80% of gay men would do it with a teenage boy if it was legal and would cause no problems. So the issue here, lets be real is not about whether 14/15/16/17 year olds are capable of knowing what they are doing; it is a question of legality.

So instead of getting all pedantic and prancy about this issue could we perhaps stick to the issues of legality instead of going for the jugular?
Maybe I am just old fashioned but having as a gay man suffered harassment, abuse and gross misunderstanding; having been discriminated against because I am an out Gay man; I am not going to encourage further fucking up of peoples lives.

Please start thinking. Thanks

Marsilius
May 20th, 2008, 17:13
wasn't there a western movie with a hanging judge called JJ Deeds ??

There is a BBC TV drama series called Judge John Deed - and I have always assumed that that was the source of our poster's name.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/judge/

May 20th, 2008, 17:19
Marsilius

Aint you a cunning old broad its the nick name I was give by my fellow employees at the office I worked for in Bangkok.

May 20th, 2008, 17:30
Marsilius

Aint you a cunning old broad its the nick name I was give by my fellow employees at the office I worked for in Bangkok.

Martin Shaw stars as Judge John Deed, a man who is not afraid to question the establishment in the name of justice.

Your fellow employees were obviously showing a sense of irony, when giving you that nickname.

George.

May 20th, 2008, 17:39
Marsilius

I was completely unaware that there was a place in the dark hills of the Ozarks called "Bangkok". Pray tell! Or is that just a code name for the "moonshine" still where you worked?