PDA

View Full Version : Gay marriage OK in California

Bob
May 16th, 2008, 04:40
This whole topic is still in the "I don't get it" category for me. While I can understand that everybody wants equal rights, I wouldn't saddle anybody with the trappings of marriage law (along with the fine accoutrements of divorce law). A piece of paper that costs you money now and may really cost you later; besides, if a relationship isn't adequate enough without the paperwork, I'm not sure how much the paper adds to it.

The only possible benefit for some that I can think of is where you need the formal marriage to extend health care benefits provided by an employer. Absent that application, any other benefits you can think of? One doesn't need marriage to leave assets to a partner after death.

May 16th, 2008, 05:38
Absent that application, any other benefits you can think of?

Yes: having the same right to fuck up your life as straight people do.

May 16th, 2008, 05:46
This whole topic is still in the "I don't get it" category for me.I agree. Why do we need to confer some legitimacy on a patriarchal, property-based system of relationships whose importance is solely that family property is passed from father to legitimate son

May 16th, 2008, 07:39
When I left for work this morning at 6:30 am there was a whole slew of media vans outside the State Courhouse where I caught the bus. I was wondering what was going on. It didn't hit me till much later that this decision was going to be announced today. To be honest I didn't give it much hope of passing a Republican appointed court ...but there you have it.

The news feed from the local rag : State Supreme Court says same-sex couples have right to marry (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/15/BAGAVNC5K.DTL)

Note to Bob:

...Absent that application, any other benefits you can think of?....

I'm going to be looking into it closely. Might help me get boyfriend into US, at least for a visit.
Honestly I haven't been keeping up with the issue that much since I hadn't had much hope of it passing anyway. I think there are Federal benefits re: taxes but not sure how it all plays into the Defense of Marriage Act (thanks a lot Bill Clinton).

francois
May 20th, 2008, 06:35
Health benefits for a partner are nothing to sneeze at! Also many States in the US have an inheritance tax if the heir is not a child or parent or a spouse. And if marriage is not such a big deal, then why do straight people want to marry and want gays to be denied this privilege. Yes, I don't get it either.

Bob
May 21st, 2008, 02:27
then why do straight people want to marry

As I understand it, getting married involves the three rings.
First, the engagement ring.
Second, the diamond wedding ring.
Third, the suffering.....