PDA

View Full Version : A day at Immigrations, Soi Suan Plu, Bangkok

TrongpaiExpat
May 14th, 2008, 11:16
It was time again for my O-A Visa renewal or as Thai Immigrations puts it, Permission to Extend Visa. I arrived a 10:30 and got number 998, they were serving 930. I left for a few hours, had lunch and returned at 1:00pm, they were serving 935. I was told by someone waiting all the immigrations officers got up at 11:30 and did not come back to 1:00, that's a long lunch if that's where they all went.

It's hard to judge exactly when you get called, many just leave, others are quick and some drag the whole process down with complications. There was only two active desks for non-business visas out of a usual 7 to 8. One guy waiting told me he was here yesterday, Monday, and they were so full that he was not able to get in the door. They stopped issuing numbers at 10:00am and were sending people away.

I sat and sat and walked around and around. I amused my self looking at all the weird looking farang noses, some in very casual clothes, some getting very agitated and one or two getting downright abusive with the Thai immigrations who just smiling at them . Ol' funkers with Thai GF in tow whom had seen better days. Old fellas who's bottom jaws seem to slowly quiver like they are chewing gum. One guy, so old he was in his jammies and slippers and appeared to have been taken there in an ambulance. For some reason if you live long enough everyone seem to end up speaking and looking like George Jessel, Yiddish accent and all. Many others from all over the world added to the mass of humanity all aimlessly waiting for their number to be called.

When I tired making mental fun of the waiting hoards, I moved on to the bewildering Thaienglish signs: "The Visa Extension Process Paid Only Fee, Do Not Believe Anyone" ........"To Come Upon The Appointment for the Reissue"....." Immigration Officers at Operational Level Will Authorize Decisions" ....Door Closed except when only Open" ......"To Entity floor 2 only to use The Appointment"

On my visit a few months ago, there were signs about moving Immigrations, those signs are gone. Also gone is a series of desks with a sign that used to say Internet 90 day reporting and another that said something about Internet appointments.

When my number was called, and having all my paperwork in order, it took all of 5 min. no questions, a bunch of stamps and paper shuffling, a total wait time of 7.5 hours. It seems that they are sufferings the same problems as Immigrations at Suvarnabhumi, not enough workers. I don't know if I just hit a bad day, or if this is a general trend that things are not going to be as easy as they were in the past.

TrongpaiExpat
May 14th, 2008, 12:59
They took the original Embassy Income letter and bank letter, no copies. The only copies they accepted was of my passport, TM card and ATM. Pattaya posters have report that Pattaya Immigrations accepts a copy of the Embassy letter.

I used the copy shop across from Immigrations, they know what you need to copy. Photo page, original O-A visa page, last extension visa page, the TM card or departure card and last entry stamp.

I had a copy of an ATM card but not sure I really needed it. I did not see that requirement listed on the boards at Immigration. I had it, she took it but I did not want to ask anything. When things are going smoothly it's best to keep your mouth shut. The photo shop blanked out the numbers without me asking.

Several farangs were acting like real ass holes, yet the people working there kept smiling. One old fella was pacing back and fort, shaking his head and muttering under his breath for all of 30 min. He then left in a huff pushing everyone out of his way.

May 14th, 2008, 17:50
.... can't this be done in your home country when you go back there for a few weeks.

May 14th, 2008, 21:06
.... can't this be done in your home country when you go back there for a few weeks.

I believe the original poster must be converting from an OA to O.

My last time through Suan Phlu was rather fast. My only problem was not having the correct sized photos. I walked across the street and obtained new photos which were accepted. As my face was the same size in the new photos as they were in the old photos, I really saw little purpose in ehat was whatever. But be sure to HAVE THE CORRECT SIZED PHOTOS WITH YOU. Those are the rules!

Smiles
May 14th, 2008, 21:11
No it can't, even if your original 12-month retirement visa was obtained in your home country. Once you've received your 12-month retirement visa, extending it for the next 12 months after the expiry date (and the next and the next) will always have to be done within Thailand.

Cheers ...

TrongpaiExpat
May 14th, 2008, 21:21
There are two situations that I am not clear on:

1. What happens when your home country passport expires with the original O-A Visa and you have a new blank passport. How do you extend it? You get your old passport back with holes punched it.

2. What happens if your out of Thailand when the visa extension expires? Can you renew it when you get back or do you have to apply for a new O-A Visa?

TrongpaiExpat
May 15th, 2008, 13:41
Thank you very much Fatman for that clear unambiguous response.

I went back today to get a re-entry stamp. That did not take long but the I looked in the visa extension room and it was more packed than a few days ago.

GQ massage is right around the corner, you could pick up a number and go for a massage and return before your number is called. They open at noon-ish and that would mitigate a some of the gloomy expressions on the faces of those waiting.

There's a window named "correction of stamp" That's where you go if Immigrations at Suvarnabhumi puts the wrong date or something in your passport. It pays to check that they did not make any mistakes before you get too far from the counter at the airport.

Richsilver
May 15th, 2008, 17:32
I'm surprised nobody has talked about Pattaya here.

We've all heard about the long waits at Suan Plu, but this is not the case in Pattaya. Most Expats I've spoken to (and my own experience with four renewals) report a total time for renewal of less than one hour. It's really quite efficient and not unpleasant.

Ninety day reporting is often in and out in 15 minutes!

Perhaps you Bangkok guys might want to consider spending a day or two in Pattaya for your next renewal.

TrongpaiExpat
May 15th, 2008, 17:38
I'm surprised nobody has talked about Pattaya here.

We've all heard about the long waits at Suan Plu, but this is not the case in Pattaya. Most Expats I've spoken to (and my own experience with four renewals) report a total time for renewal of less than one hour. It's really quite efficient and not unpleasant.

Ninety day reporting is often in and out in 15 minutes!

Perhaps you Bangkok guys might want to consider spending a day or two in Pattaya for your next renewal.

That brings up another question: Can you do an extension of stay outside of your home district? Will Pattaya Immigration accept this?

90 reporting at Suan Plu is not a problem, 5 or 10 min at the most.

May 16th, 2008, 08:17
I'm surprised nobody has talked about Pattaya here.....

From the Original Post...

...Many others from all over the world added to the mass of humanity all aimlessly waiting for their number to be called....

Well, that about sums up Pattaya for me!

Zyxel-old
May 16th, 2008, 12:40
When I got my retirement visa in 2004 the immigration officer at Suan Plu told me that when I renew it will have to be no less than 30 days before expiry date.
I do that every year but does anybody know if this rule is still valid at Suan Plu at least ?

TrongpaiExpat
May 16th, 2008, 12:59
I have a copy of the new Official 'Extension of Visa' 96 page handbook. I don't find a reference to how early you can show up to renew. Fatman says, 3 weeks and you were told 30 days. I do know that the information counter is good for giving out the wrong information and forms.

I guess if your one day late you lost the visa and have to start over. With the DL office it's just the opposite, you can't renew your DL until it has expired.

This handbook by the way just published is one of the most convoluted books I have ever read. Besides all the Thaienglish there's a table with three headers: Reason of Necessary, Criteria and List of Required Documents. See page 38 for Retirement.

Richsilver
May 16th, 2008, 18:32
I have been told by a number of reliable sources that you can renew three months before expiry (and still get a full year). I did my last renewal in Pattaya more than two months early, but not quite three.

May 16th, 2008, 19:18
I have been told by a number of reliable sources that you can renew three months before expiry (and still get a full year). I did my last renewal in Pattaya more than two months early, but not quite three.

Certainly Ihave known people renew several months in advance when they could show air tickets to show that they would be out of the country when the renewal was due.

TrongpaiExpat
May 17th, 2008, 13:46
OK, good, I am glad we cleared that up. You can report:

a) 30 days before expiry

b) 3 weeks before

c) 3 months before

d) none of the above

Brad the Impala
May 17th, 2008, 15:11
OK, good, I am glad we cleared that up. You can report:

a) 30 days before expiry

b) 3 weeks before

c) 3 months before

d) none of the above

Do we vote?

May 17th, 2008, 17:58
There's no such thing as planning. When the time comes ...

colmx
May 18th, 2008, 02:39
As posted elsewhere I lost my passport on my last trip and had to get an emergency passport issued by the Irish consulate in BKK

My immigration card and stamps were lost along with the passport - so Ihad to take my Emergancy passport along with a letter from teh consulate to Immigration in Soi Suan Plu to get the passportreconciled...

On arrival at 2PM i was amazed at the amount of people in teh immigrationoffice and figured i'd be there for hours.

However when i got to my window (window 4 - lost passports) i was pleasantly surprised to find that there was only 1 person ahead of me (coincidentally Irish too!)
I was in and out in 20 minutes, to celebrate the quick exit we jumped in a taxi and went around the corner for a short visit to Babylon!

I'm surprised that nobody posted about how near the immigration office is to Babylon - surely thats a great place to kill time when waiting for them to call ur number!