PDA

View Full Version : From avoid dates - Education in the use of English.

May 11th, 2008, 17:03
a veritable FONT of information

Sorry to be pedantic Smile and Homintern

FONT is the technical term for typeface
FOUNT means the source of (knowledge)

Also often happens on this forum
DISCRETE means seperate from i.e not applying to other things
DISCREET means being very careful etc

bkkguy
May 11th, 2008, 18:36

if the choice of typeface reveals a lot about a person does that make a font a fount?

bkkguy

May 11th, 2008, 20:23

DISCREET means being very careful etcAnd "private"?

Smiles
May 11th, 2008, 20:34

Actually, thanks for that Mr Frost. The moment I saw the 'font/fount' part in your post I realised the mistake. But the 'discrete/discreet' puppy was a complete surprise . . . I'd been using the 'discrete' spelling only, never thinking there were two spellings with different meanings.

YLSKED

Cheers ...

May 11th, 2008, 22:37
Smiles

Thank you for your extremely courteous and considered reply.

By the way Homintern 'private' has no relevance at all: Discreet
1. Marked by, exercising, or showing prudence and wise self-restraint in speech and behavior; circumspect.
2. Free from ostentation or pretension; modest.

Smiles: I dont know whether you saw my thanks to you for your wonderful article on your relationship and trips.
It is an inspiration to us all. I look forward to your next instalment (only one L [he he]

May 11th, 2008, 23:09
homintern = "And private"?

The mailroom in our office (multinational bank) has the following rule:
Open all mail, even mail marked as "private" unless it is also marked "and confidential". Do not open any mail marked "confidential" or "and confidential" without checking the return address. If the return address is on a blacklist of junk mail senders, then open. If the return address does not exist or is not listed, do not open. Same rules for "personal".

May 11th, 2008, 23:55
Another one that often trips people up Smiles, is PRECEED and PRECEDE.

May 12th, 2008, 00:06
Another one that often trips people up Smiles, is PRECEED and PRECEDE.Let's not forget uninterested and disinterested

May 12th, 2008, 01:16
jakeNasty

My gut feeling is that preceed does not exist - I have checked most dictionaries (including the 'misspelt dictionary' and they all seem to say precede

I know that this is not a Thailand thread but I must say I do find this, all that precedes (sic) it and semantics) interesting and it has anyway brought (bought LOL) out the best in Forum members.

Greetings

May 12th, 2008, 02:15
gude greef!

ceejay
May 12th, 2008, 02:50
I know that this is not a Thailand thread but I must say I do find this, all that precedes (sic) it and semantics) interesting and it has anyway brought (bought LOL) out the best in Forum members.

I am always willing to have my best bought out - if the price is right :laughing6:

cottmann
May 12th, 2008, 06:56

"Font" is an archaic term meaning "fount," and both derive from Latin "fons, fontis" meaning "spring." Font is thus closer to the original Latin term. when used as "font of information" or "font of honor."

"Font" for a typeface derives from "fonte" which is turn is cognate with "fondue" or something that has between melted. Printers sometimes use "fount," too.

piston10
May 12th, 2008, 10:44
And while we're in this mood, the 'seperate from' of drfrost3's post should be 'separate from'.

Marsilius
May 12th, 2008, 12:52
And, while we're at it, "etc" - being an abbeviation, not to mention being placed at the end of the sentence - needs a full stop / period placed after it.

May 12th, 2008, 20:25
And, while we're at it, "etc" - being an abbeviation, not to mention being placed at the end of the sentence - needs a full stop / period placed after it.Current standard practice says so, but it's not universally observed. Clearly you could understand what was meant without such a usage

May 12th, 2008, 23:02
Seperate was a typo - mea culpa

As you say, etc is an abbreviation and as with all abbreviations should not normally take a full stop. However you are correct in that, if it ends a sentence, it should be followed by a full stop.

Forgive me for my split infinitive!

May 13th, 2008, 04:27
Seperate was a typo - mea culpa

As you say, etc is an abbreviation and as with all abbreviations should not normally take a full stop. However you are correct in that, if it ends a sentence, it should be followed by a full stop.

Forgive me for my split infinitive!

The fear of infinitive splitting comes from Latin and Romance roots. English grammar comes from Old Norse. By Odin or Wotan; we have a duty to resolutely split infinitives.