PDA

View Full Version : Buying a condo in Thailand

May 12th, 2008, 00:04
What about the electricity cabling? We already know (it's so apparent) that the building standards are generally crap. Here's Stickman on some electrical connections

You don't have to be an electrician to see that the state of wiring in many places in Thailand is a real mess. Many places are a fire hazard, few more so than Nana Plaza. There have been many fires at Nana over the years, some have gutted bars while others have caused minor damage. This Monday night saw the latest fire in Nana, which started at the Taj Mahal tailor's below Mandarin. The fire made it up into the bar and rumour has it that it destroyed the cash that was to be handed out for salaries to be paid that night! As the fire was being fought, the outside bars continued to operate by candle light. In one bar there was a clown who rung the bar in the expectation no one could see him! Without wanting to be callous about what could have been a very serious situation, it all sounded rather comical! The fire was on the top floor which is, I believe, where the girls change. One reader said he had to smirk at seeing some firefighters helping themselves to the abandoned Mercury opening night buffet. I expect that within 12 months there will be another major fire in Nana with all of those hot birds there.

May 12th, 2008, 08:58
Interesting how homintern takes a slacker New Zealand English teacher as his muse.

TrongpaiExpat
May 12th, 2008, 11:42
I often wonder when I see a tangled mess of wires and what appears to be bundles of extra wires looped around and around, was it for a lack of a good pair of wire cutters or did the worker just not want to have any extra wire hanging around. I guess all the loops might be there because he was working on a live wire and could not cut it without getting electrocuted.