PDA

View Full Version : Proposed law to require motorist to stop for anthem?

Davey612
May 11th, 2008, 06:07
I can't find a link for this story, so I am quoting it in total (hope it meets the posting guidelines). It is kind of funny but it is one of those "only in Thailand" ideas. It came from Road and Track magazine's June 2008 edition:

"The army-appointed parliament in Thailand is proposing a law that would require all motorists to come to a complete stop when the national anthem is played. The 68-second-long national song is played at 8 am. and 6 p.m. and is broadcast from loudspeakers. Although opponents say such a law would be chaotic, one retired general, age 70, said it's the least motorists could do for their country, adding, "They already spend more time in traffic jams, anyway."

Brad the Impala
May 11th, 2008, 08:10
I can't find a link for this story, so I am quoting it in total (hope it meets the posting guidelines). ."

What guidelines? The moderator doesn't apply them why should the posters!

Smiles
May 11th, 2008, 10:20
Brad, be nice. I hope you have noticed that your thread 'Whatever turns you on' has been moved (again) back into this Forum.
I fear the Moderator may been horsewhipped by the Administrator. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but I can't abide to hear of a grown man crying.

Cheers ...

Smiles
May 11th, 2008, 11:21
I can't find a link for this story, so I am quoting it in total (hope it meets the posting guidelines). It is kind of funny but it is one of those "only in Thailand" ideas. It came from Road and Track magazine's June 2008 edition:

"The army-appointed parliament in Thailand is proposing a law that would require all motorists to come to a complete stop when the national anthem is played. The 68-second-long national song is played at 8 am. and 6 p.m. and is broadcast from loudspeakers. Although opponents say such a law would be chaotic, one retired general, age 70, said it's the least motorists could do for their country, adding, "They already spend more time in traffic jams, anyway."
The 'army-appointed' parliament ended in December 07 with the elections and a PPP-dominated coalition. The army have had their time and are now back in barracks ... though in Thailand, they seem to always be at the ready.
I doubt this was anything much more than dumb generals (aged 70) thinking before their brains clicked in. Nothing about this idea heard recently.

Cheers ...

TrongpaiExpat
May 11th, 2008, 12:44
It's funny but the BTS (skytrain) play the national anthem over the loud speakers and make a big deal about everyone stopping and standing but the MRT (subway) does not do anything, no anthem and no standing. My gym falls under the ignore category when it comes on all the TVs but some office buildings play the anthem and everyone stands. Shopping malls ignore it but schools stop and stand.

My BF proposed this Thai logic why it;s not played and you don't have to stand in the MRT: it's underground, no one can drive by and see you.

MRT and BTS are separate government departments.

May 11th, 2008, 20:27
... everyone stopping and standing ...I had a couple of boys over last evening and someone outside the block of apartments had the radio on. While the anthem was playing we didn't stop; however all our members were standing :bounce:

Brad the Impala
May 11th, 2008, 20:40
Brad, be nice. I hope you have noticed that your thread 'Whatever turns you on' has been moved (again) back into this Forum.
I fear the Moderator may been horsewhipped by the Administrator. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but I can't abide to hear of a grown man crying.

Cheers ...

The thread may have finally ended up back here where it belonged, but as a result of the Moderator's intervention in moving it to the Global Forum, it became a thread about him, rather than a thread about Thai aphrodisiacs.

Smiles
May 11th, 2008, 20:47
Some years ago I went for a run in Queen Sirikit Park in Chatachuk. It was closing in on 6PM and the large walking path which runs through the park had hundreds of runners on it, out for their exercise after work. Everyone was working hard at their own paces . . . I was passing many, being passed by a few 'serious' runners, admiring muscular Thai asses as I came up behind.
But on the stroke of 6PM the Thai anthem started bellowing through dozens of loudspeakers hung up on poles. Every runner on that path came to an abrupt halt and just stood there, dripping in sweat, chests heaving, breathing heavily, many bent over with hands on knees: human statues in contorted and wet extremis.
At the end of the anthem, the entire group took off running again ... and so did I.

A very bizarre sight indeed, and I would guess, only in Thailand.

Cheers ...

fedssocr
May 11th, 2008, 21:27
It's funny but the BTS (skytrain) play the national anthem over the loud speakers and make a big deal about everyone stopping and standing but the MRT (subway) does not do anything, no anthem and no standing.

I seem to recall hearing the anthem while I was in the Lumpini MRT station a number of times last November. But as you say no one was paying much attention and certainly no one stopped for it.

There was a story in the papers last week about a guy who refused to stand for the anthem at a movie. He was turned in by a fellow patron and now faces the possibility of charges. He claims that there is no reason he should be required to stand. Historians noted that the tradition came from the Brits who used to stand at films for God Save the King/Queen after the end of a film. Apparently the Thais imported the idea but they realized that no one was left to stand after the credits so they moved it to before the film.

ceejay
May 11th, 2008, 21:46
He claims that there is no reason he should be required to stand. Historians noted that the tradition came from the Brits who used to stand at films for God Save the King/Queen after the end of a film.

Kind of true. What used to happen was that there was a stampede for the door as the credits started to roll - the place was empty before the first drum roll. In the end they just stopped playing it, I think some time in the 1960's. There were stories that the cinema managements rather regretted the passing of this custom - it was such an effective way of clearing the house.

May 11th, 2008, 23:15
Historians noted that the tradition came from the Brits who used to stand at films for God Save the King/Queen after the end of a film. Apparently the Thais imported the idea but they realized that no one was left to stand after the credits so they moved it to before the film.The Thais claim with some pride never to have been physically colonised, but the number of colonialist attitudes they have imported is mind-numbing. Look at the uniforms of the units that guard the royal household, for example, and the similarities are striking

Smiles
May 11th, 2008, 23:55
" ... The Thais claim with some pride never to have been physically colonised, but the number of colonialist attitudes they have imported is mind-numbing. Look at the uniforms of the units that guard the royal household, for example, and the similarities are striking ... "
I just hope that the goose-step march will not put in an appearance. Haven't seen it yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Personal/goosestep1.jpg

Cheers ...

Marsilius
May 12th, 2008, 12:47
The British Army has never adopted the goose-step.

For more information, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goose_step

May 14th, 2008, 14:00
I just hope that the goose-step march will not put in an appearance. Haven't seen it yet.

Rather than goose-stepping in full cold-weather garb such as depicted above, perhaps goose-stepping in kilts would be an appropriate adaptation for the Thai tropical climate and handsome Thai soldiers?

It *is* true that no underwear is worn under a quilt, isn't it?

ceejay
May 14th, 2008, 14:37
If you are lucky, nothing is worn under a kilt.

It's all as good as new :bounce:

May 14th, 2008, 14:47
It *is* true that no underwear is worn under a quilt, isn't it?

I wear my pajamas under my quilt.

May 14th, 2008, 18:58
Anybody who wants to know what is under a kilt should see the picture in the toilet at Oscars Bar

Sen Yai
May 14th, 2008, 19:43
Something like this...

Actually, it would probably be more like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Underlongyi.jpg

May 14th, 2008, 22:02
the whole Thai army should be issued kilts forthwith!

Lunchtime O'Booze
May 15th, 2008, 10:17
well frankly I think it's a bloody good idea..the idea of at least a few minutes blessed relief from the relentless dodging of motorcycles would be heaven..plus the Thai national anthem is among my favorite.