View Full Version : CELLPHONE USE BAN 115 drivers caught on first day

travelerjim
May 9th, 2008, 12:00
CELLPHONE USE BAN
115 drivers caught on first day...
Gotcha!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/090508_front.jpg

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/09May2008_news04.php

"Metropolitan Police yesterday stopped 115 motorists in Bangkok for violating the ban on using mobile phones while driving, in the first nine hours after it took effect. Traffic police spotted most violators waiting in their vehicles at red lights.

All admitted they were guilty, said Pol Maj-Gen Panu Kerdlarbpol, deputy Metropolitan Police chief in charge of traffic affairs.

Pol Maj-Gen Panu said traffic police from 88 police stations around Bangkok monitored motorists between 5am and 3pm yesterday, and found 115 people who violated the ban."

allieb
May 9th, 2008, 13:30
What will the fine be for using a mobile whilst driving,. I read recently that a woman in the UK was given a 3 year prison sentence for causing an accident whist using a mobile phone and driving.

May 9th, 2008, 15:18
No idea on the fine, but it apparently will be enforced from 20 May; I wonder if it will be the same for a motorbike driver, or more if he is smoking, carrying a television, baby, dog, drink, etc, at the same time!

May 9th, 2008, 16:00
Coming out of my soi yesterday, I actually saw a policeman reprimand a woman driving in front of me who was chatting on her mobile . Good! Those mobile chatters often drive like drunks.

May 9th, 2008, 17:06
Coming out of my soi yesterday, I actually saw a policeman reprimand a woman driving in front of me who was chatting on her mobile . Good! Those mobile chatters often drive like drunks.

And the drunk chatters are the worst of all!

Seriously, though, I nearly ran over a little old lady the other day trying to get the damned bluetooth thing into my ear and working. I'm not sure it's that big an improvement.

May 10th, 2008, 04:53
Traffic police spotted most violators waiting in their vehicles at red lights.

Which is, I guess, about the only place in Bkk's chaotic traffic that our heroic men can stop for a long enuf time to do wHaTEvEr.

No big surprises here.

travelerjim
May 10th, 2008, 05:10
from Gay Affairs Pattaya posting:

http://www.gayaffairspattaya.com/index/0805mobile.htm

Mobile phone ban for drivers now in effect

BANGKOK, May 8 (TNA) тАУ Although the mobile phone ban on drivers was put into effect on Thursday, police in metropolitan Bangkok will issue cautionary warnings to offenders first, with punitive measures starting May 19, according to a senior police officer.

Speaking on the morning news programme on Modernine TV (Television Channel 9), deputy Metropolitan Police Bureau chief Pol. Maj-Gen. Panu Kerdlarppol conceded that the public relations campaign has been insufficient to inform motorists about the banning of mobile phones while driving, so the police won't give citations or make arrests during the informal grace period, but will warn offenders first before getting tougher.

Arrests will start on May 19 and violators will be fined 400-1,000 baht, he added.

Offenders will also be awarded 10 penalty points, and when a driver's cumulative total reaches 60 points, driving licenses will be suspended.

Some other countries enforce such a ban and have reportedly found that the practice can reduce the number of road accidents.

In Thailand, a hands-free device is still allowed but motorists were asked to talk on mobile phones with a hands-free kit for only "short periods".

"If there is a dispute between motorists and traffic police," Gen. Panu said, "investigators will check the driver's mobile phone Sim card".

The police general also asked members of the public to notify the police when they see a violation taking place.
┬й GayAffairsPattaya

thrillbill
May 10th, 2008, 07:28
Gee, can't talk on your cell phone while driving; must wear a helmet when riding your motorcycle; can't smoke in bars or certain restaurants; must wear your seat belt.... I think LOS is becoming too civilized for some of you old timers.

May 10th, 2008, 13:40
Sexpat, those bluetooth ear things make anyone look like a total douchebag.

May 10th, 2008, 16:06
Sexpat, those bluetooth ear things make anyone look like a total douchebag.

Would you like to recommend a more stylish alternative? I'm all ears (no pun intended).