PDA

View Full Version : Cuba - how to get there

May 8th, 2008, 15:53
I have been chatting to a friend who has just returned from Cuba. I want and need to go there
Problem is, I have absolutely no idea of the best way to go in terms of fares and times etc.
I live in Perth, Australia, so my thoughts are to travel to Singapore and go from there.
Looks like Thailand will have to wait!
So any of you global travellers got any ideas?
Any advice much appreciated.

May 8th, 2008, 16:01
I have been chatting to a friend who has just returned from Cuba. I want and need to go there
Problem is, I have absolutely no idea of the best way to go in terms of fares and times etc.
I live in Perth, Australia, so my thoughts are to travel to Singapore and go from there.

Wrong forum. You need "Any Other Country".

In any case, you will probably find it most convenient to fly to Cuba via Europe. There are flights to Havana from Madrid on Ibera, Amsterdam on KLM, Moscow on Aeroflot, and London on Virgin Atlantic. If you're feeling adventurous, you can also fly on Cubana from Rome.

Best to visit your friendly local travel agent for advice, or research online.

May 8th, 2008, 18:08
Thanks sexpat - I realise that this post will be moved but no problemo - r u a moderator?
Re your comment - "in any case you will most probably find it most covenient to fly to Cuba via Europe"
You really have geographical problems don1t you -- please read my post again ...

May 8th, 2008, 18:21
Thanks sexpat - I realise that this post will be moved but no problemo - r u a moderator?
Re your comment - "in any case you will most probably find it most covenient to fly to Cuba via Europe"
You really have geographical problems don1t you -- please read my post again ...

Why are you taking on an attitude with someone who is going out of their way to give you advice?

In any case, there are no "geographical problems" here.

Your choices to get to Cuba from Australia are via Europe, North America, and South America. As I said, I think you will find the European option the quickest, cheapest, and most convenient.

travelerjim
May 8th, 2008, 18:49

Suggest you try this website:

http://www.kayak.com/flights?uselast=true

try many combinations...

Perth -PER - to Mexico City - MEX
MEX to HAV

PER to AMS
AMS to HAV

and so on...

Good Luck...

yaraboy
May 8th, 2008, 20:18
There is a good connection Bangkok-Narita-Vancouver-Mexico City on JAL.............You only change planes in Narita...........Mexico City for both men and sights is worth a few days..............and as for Cuba...say no more !!!

May 8th, 2008, 22:50
yea but Narita is a shit of an airport. Whatever you do don't try to go via the US - you won't make it.

yaraboy
May 8th, 2008, 23:50
I travel through Narita 6 times a year ..............it is a fine airport...lots of recent renovations. In Vancouver wait is about 1/12 hours but in a small restricted area. Agreed do not travel through US.

Davey612
May 9th, 2008, 02:11
Perth - Sydney - Santiago de Chile - Habana. From Sydney to Habana via Lan airlines.

Wesley
May 9th, 2008, 10:09
ah, Bkk ,SF, then west, Miami then Cuba, they will actually let you buy a microwave there now.

Wes

lonelywombat
May 9th, 2008, 12:37
Perth - Sydney - Santiago de Chile - Habana. From Sydney to Habana via Lan airlines.

I agree with this and was planning to use Qantas FF points to do this trip

I planned to use the cheaper option of One World round the world flight, flying out of Cuba to Madrid/ London

using Iberia and in your case BA or Qantas via Singapore home

Dont forget to also check out Star Alliance . Their round world rates are usually cheaper

This link will give you some ideas of connecting flights. Then give google a hit for cuba airline flights

http://content.cubajet.com/schedule_cuba_flights.asp

Keep us posted please

May 9th, 2008, 20:17
Isn't the connection between between Miami and Havana still by inner-tube only. Personally I prefer to go with the rest of the plane.

This is really a case of "I wouldn't start from there ...", I think.

It seems that there are very moderately priced package tours for the Essex and Burnley proletariat but I think the accommodation might not be gay friendly, but more so than say in the Cayman Islands.

Davey612
May 9th, 2008, 23:19
Isn't the connection between between Miami and Havana still by inner-tube only. Personally I prefer to go with the rest of the plane.

This is really a case of "I wouldn't start from there ...", I think.

No and yes. There are special charter flights out of Miami on American Airlines for people who have permits to visit Cuba (mainly Cuban-Americans with families in Cuba and all those other so-called professionals). Anyone else is out of luck because of the U.S. trade embargo (that is, even if you are not a U.S. citizen, you cannot take those Miami flights because you are under U.S. jurisdiction).

But why do that, right? Thanks to Lonelywombat, I remember now that Cubana has fllights from Santo Domingo, the Dominican Republic, to Habana. I don't know if the OP wants to visit the U.S. or not, but if he is in Miami, all he needs to do is to go to Santo Domingo, have fun there (I can assure you on that), go to Habana, have fun there, return to Santo Domingo, and then go on his merry way.

Wesley
May 10th, 2008, 09:41
I was looking for a more entertaining way to get to nowhere, I could not imagine anyone serious about Cuba even now that you get a cell phone.
Wesley