PDA

View Full Version : Biting the Bullet

netrix
May 6th, 2008, 10:31
OK, I've made up my mind. At least I think I have....

I've decided I'm moving to Thailand for at least a year.
Making the move in the next month. I'd say I'm really
excited about the new adventure/chapter of my life, and
more than a little nervous to make such a big move.

For those of you who have already moved to LOS from
a western country, and for those who spend at least a
few months a year there, let me ask you a question:

If you had to do it over again, what would you do
differently? What advise do you wish someone had
given you before you bit the bullet?

ps: although i fully expect more than a little sarcasm
in response to the question, I'm actually serious.
:shy:

May 6th, 2008, 10:45
Im going for a 3 month stay end of this month,.

Not sure my liver could handle a year

netrix
May 6th, 2008, 10:55
Oogleman I've enjoyed many of your posts here and
on gaytingtong for quite some time. I'd love to buy
you a drink after I arrive. Any words of wisdom until
then?

TrongpaiExpat
May 6th, 2008, 10:58
If you had to do it over again, what would you do
differently?

My first trip to Thailand was about 25 years ago and after that first trip, I knew that I would eventually end up living here. I have been living here now for 3 years and have never looked back.

After that first trip, followed by yearly visits, I did try to get employment in Thailand but no where near the earning potential I had in US, so I worked hard, saved hard and retired early. No regrets.

May 6th, 2008, 11:44
i would advise 2 things.

1)Take it slowly if you`re a drinker and have good medical insurance .

2)get to know a policeman or somebody who knows a policeman for any problems that need sorting quick.

Enjoy!

May 6th, 2008, 11:57
People tend to bring their own worlds with them and it is this excess baggage that to a large extent will determine what kind of experience you may have living here.
About the only concrete suggestion I can make is to bring more money than you expect you will need.

bigben
May 6th, 2008, 12:19
---Buy a cheap mobile phone (once you arrive)

---Bring lots of 100% cotton underwear if your waist size is over 36 inches. Hard to find good quality large underwear in Pattaya.

---Try to eat at least one small Thai meal per day until you discover what you like.

---Don't let on you are a newbie to much.....(applies to the boys as well as the Farangs) There are some real pieces of $hit here, but most are ---Ok

---Don't sweat the small stuff.....It's all small stuff when you think about it.

---And like someone else suggested....Don't get lost in the bottle like so many guys do.

---And enjoy a new chapter in your life. :cheers:

TrongpaiExpat
May 6th, 2008, 12:27
--
---Bring lots of 100% cotton underwear if your waist size is over 36 inches. Hard to find good quality large underwear in Pattaya.

I've decided I'm moving to Thailand for at least a year.

Such an assumption. I can never quite figure out why so many on this board, Sawatdee Gay Thailand, think that Thailand=Pattaya.

Still, good advise about underwear. Even if you find your waist size they ride up your crack, split the ball sack in two sections and rub the leg the wrong way.

Don't get lost in the bottle like so many guys do.

I am watching two friends, of course they live in Pattaya, drinking their way to an early death. When they were working they had to be sober to make a living and made enough to retire but now that there's no control on having to go to work, they drink and drink. At least neither drives in Thailand, or should I say Pattaya, neither ever leave Pattaya.

May 6th, 2008, 12:39
they ride up your crack, split the ball sack in two sections and rub the leg the wrong way.

definitely TMI lol! Boxers are the way to go.

bigben
May 6th, 2008, 12:43
Trong,

You are correct. My bad.

I did assume (not sure why) but I assumed he was coming to Pattaya.

My suggestion should have read that if you are spending all your time in Pattaya, you should consider bringing some quality briefs with you because it is a challenge to find decent briefs in large sizes in Pattaya.

And I also made another assumption that the OP was overweight.

How could I have possibly thought that. Sorry Netrix.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

TrongpaiExpat
May 6th, 2008, 12:48
they ride up your crack, split the ball sack in two sections and rub the leg the wrong way.

The problem I find with boxers is the balls bounce up and down at will and the rod dangles and sways as you walk. Then you stuff the boxers in your pants and it's all crumpled up and uncomfortable. Maybe better to wear no underwear.

netrix
May 6th, 2008, 13:04
And I also made another assumption that the OP was overweight. How could I have possibly thought that. Sorry Netrix.

haha no problem. for the record i'm 6'1" 165 pounds with a
32 inch waist and quite good looking, thank you very much. ;)
i even have all of my hair and teeth!

i don't drink much either. (damn, i'm not a bad catch!)

- i don't plan to drive while i'm there. good decision or not?

- too young to retire but don't need to work while i'm there...
plan to travel quite a bit and see the country. thoughts?

- i love thai food, but what should i bring with me besides
nutritional supplements like whey protein (so expensive there)

- what other sage advice from all you expert expats?

May 6th, 2008, 13:16

i don't drink much either. (damn, i'm not a bad catch!)

- too young to retire but don't need to work while i'm there...
plan to travel quite a bit and see the country. thoughts?

- what other sage advice from all you expert expats?

Bring far more money than you think you'll need. If you are already complaining about the price of whey protein, then you are in for rude awakening. Also, you better check on your duty-free allowance on some of these things that are "so expensive" here and which you intend to bring with you. You don't want your nasty surprises to start at customs upon arrival.

Your modesty is charming, and I am sure it will get you into the thick of things here. (he-he)

Also, I am just assuming that you have your visa arrangements all worked out for your year here. (he-he, part 2)

netrix
May 6th, 2008, 13:31
Bring far more money than you think you'll need.
Money's not a problem. I'm thinking more about things that are hard
to find. Good whey protein is just an example, plus it's 4 times more
expensive there. I mean, am I gonna miss my favorite brand of
peanut butter or shampoo or ??

Your modesty is charming, and I am sure it will get you into the thick of things here. (he-he)

It's my immodesty that I think is more likely to get me in trouble. ;)

Also, I am just assuming that you have your visa arrangements all worked out for your year here.

Yep, all set!

TrongpaiExpat
May 6th, 2008, 13:32

You will not fit in very well in Pattaya. :bom:

That will limit your ability to travel and add to the costs having to hire a driver and all. Getting a Thai DL and driving in Thailand is not all that difficult. The roads are good, signs bilingual and well marked.

Thai hired drivers are a funny bunch, drive like maniacs and go where they want to go, not where you want.

Yes, everyone I know has it sent from USA and even with the postage they are saving money vrs. the GNC price in Thailand. Trade, send someone a few packs of Penegra and ask for a bottle of protein in exchange. Some vitamins are available, C and B mostly, if you want others take them with you but don't send in the mail or fed-ex, my shipment got seized by the Thai authorities.

May 6th, 2008, 13:40
The difference between vacation and living. The OS goes out of LOS pretty quickly and it becomes just another L.

Diec
May 6th, 2008, 13:43
Have fun...sounds like your all set!!

May 6th, 2008, 16:27
Good Luck, and keep us posted. The only gratuitous advice i can offer is to use a electrolyte powder each day. It replaces the salts and potassium we sweat out stomping around uneven pavements and running for the baht bus. I was put onto these when ill a few trips ago, and now always have one a day, before or after vespers, its up to you. They are available from the chemist shop for about 6 baht per packet.

May 6th, 2008, 16:30
The only gratuitous advice i can offer is to use a electrolyte powder each day.

A bottle of Gatorade or Sponsor (the local equivalent) from your neighborhood 7-11 will do the same thing.

May 6th, 2008, 17:09

Boxers are god awful things, with as much sex appeal as a neglected goiter, or socks and sandals.

I find Thai undies very comfortable, even though I am a size 31. Markets are awash with lovely soft cotton ones. I just bought dozens of them, Chicford Josey etc, I love they way they neatly hold your arse and gently cup and hang the rest in a soft bouncy sling. Cotton is one of the few fabrics with a memory, so always fits exactly right each time, never too big never to tight. Just get it right first time.

thrillbill
May 6th, 2008, 17:43
If you come to Pattaya, "shop" around (a month?) for a condo to rent before you put down a couple months deposit for a whole year's rent. If you don't plan to get a car (you CAN survive without one...take the baht buses around ...and it makes you walk more) make sure your condo is an easy walk to the main street. When you want to go to Bangkok, it is easy to take the air conditioned bus (it leaves every 20 minutes) then jump on the Sky Train to Silom (120 baht) or take a taxi for about 1000 baht or less to BKK; 1200 baht coming back.
There are plenty of Western grocery stores that sells all kinds of goods that you can find in your home country.
Clothes- don't bring a lot, you can find them here, especially in Bkk.
Medicine... you can find almost anything here and the hospitals have great facilities but you will want to know which doctors/dentists to go to...just don't assume that a slick looking Western hospital in Thailand has 100% reliable doctors (as in any country).
Ask around which bank you should bank with, there are scores of them...and some are better than others...

Yes, many fellows like to meet for dinner and have their dinner drinks...they end up drinking too much and gain weight. With me. I spend my time in the gym in the evenings. Keeps me in shape and out of trouble.

There will be a "honeymoon" stage, then 6 months later reality will hit in and you will notice the little things that bother you. Oh, hang out with positive people, not the Queenie types that like to complain... it can be contagious.

Be "streetwise" when meeting your "one night only"...or "monthly" companion. If you have been reading the forums on Sawatdee Gay, then you should be aware of what to expect...

allieb
May 6th, 2008, 18:43
Im going for a 3 month stay end of this month,.

Not sure my liver could handle a year

Could your bottom handel a year?

May 6th, 2008, 19:08
ok first post
I am taken by your courageous decision
For me well I met the Thai boy of my dreams 6 months ago
I didn't want to take any chances so we applied for a syudent visa in
Australia for 6 months and get what it was approved
I must be naive but I have no doubts that LOS is where we
were all meant to be . Look foward to giving all the true doubters
regular updates
For the record the bf is no money boy . We meet via mutual friends
I am sure he will make the adjustment to life in Sydney.
Looking forward to answering all the doubters

thrillbill
May 6th, 2008, 23:03
You didn't say where you would like to live in LOS.
The advantage of Pattaya is that you have the beach and escape the heavy noise and exhaust pollution of BKK. The disadvantage, is that it lacks decent gay bars (there are plenty of go-go boy clubs) and no gay dance clubs (sorry readers, I don't count X-ray, it's the pits.) AT Pattaya, you will run into an older crew of gays, mostly retired chaps 60 or older.

If you choose Bangkok, you can run into a younger farang crowd...and many of the Thais you run into are NOT just money boys like MOST are in Pattaya. Bangkok has better gay bars and of course, a couple decent dance clubs --if that is your thing. I have some Western friends that live in Bangkok, and they like it better than Pattaya. It is all a matter of taste.

netrix
May 6th, 2008, 23:24
i've spent time in both cities on my visits. you're right,
i think there's a lot of fun gay nightlife for the younger
crowd in bangkok. but the city can be overwhelming.
i like pattaya's ocean view and more relaxed atmosphere.
and there's a lot to do aside from the go go bars as well.
and believe it or not i've met a few great local gays who
aren't money boys.

my plan is to spend about a month in bangkok and then
a month in pattaya and decide where to get a long term
condo after that. i also want to see the rest of thailand!

dave_tf-old
May 7th, 2008, 06:28
Buy the latest edition of Culture Shock Thailand (or at least a good primer on culture shock in general). It's such a near universal psychological/physical phenomenon among transplants that knowledge of it and a few strategies to deal with it can make your experience a happier one.