PDA

View Full Version : Cute Post Found on "Datalounge".

Doug
March 3rd, 2006, 18:09
Time To Give a Proper Name to Our Country

Watching the Olympics, I was often embarassed by the chanting of USA, USA, USA. Somehow it sounds low-class and boorish.

When we were founded, I suppose it was convenient and accurate for the founding states to call themselves the United States of America. At that time 13 colonies joined and several more have since. But many continental American colonies decided not to join. Several colonies joined together to form Canada. All of the American states south of Texas have decided not to become united under a Washington government.

I suggest that United States of America was a good temporary name to expidite our nationhood but now I think that name is clumsy. I am sure that if we put our minds to it, we could find a new and wonderful name that would celibrate our nation and provide a symphony of cheers that would up-lift our athletes.

On a slightly, related note, how can Hawaii be a united state of America? It's not even near continental America.

http://www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/iowa/ ... age-1.html (http://www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/iowa/forum/thread/gossip/2955789/page-1.html)

March 4th, 2006, 09:29
Watching the Olympics, I was often embarassed by the chanting of USA, USA, USA. Somehow it sounds low-class and boorish.

I suggest that United States of America was a good temporary name to expidite our nationhood but now I think that name is clumsy. I am sure that if we put our minds to it, we could find a new and wonderful name that would celibrate our nation and provide a symphony of cheers that would up-lift our athletes.

On a slightly, related note, how can Hawaii be a united state of America? It's not even near continental America.

USA, USA, USA .... It does grate a little with some of us, but I do like it when Homer Simpson belts it out. Perhaps you need some English chants to instil a bit of intterest and vigour:

Fat Scouse
hes fat
hes scouse
hes probably robbed ur house
rooney
rooney

or

Fat Scouse Bastard
Your just a fat scouse b*st*rd
FAT SCOUSE BAAASTARD
Your just a fat scouse b*st*rd
FAT SCOUSE BAAASTARD

or perhaps the more erudite:

Vindaloo
Naa, na na naa, na na naa na na naa na na naa! na na naa, na na naa naa. Na na naa na na na naa ENGLAND!

The USA does have some sense of humour, the chant from USA soccer fans to English fans last year in Chicago went "We've got dentists"

As for Hawai, forget about it, how can Israel take part in the Eurovision Song Contest (European Song Contest)!

As for a new name for the USA, I think i'll leave that up to Mr Sydney. You will be sorry you asked :geek: