PDA

View Full Version : Koh Larn

May 2nd, 2008, 08:28
.... recently went there for the first time for a day ... what a great place, full of chinese mind you, but there are some really quiet beach areas there, gets you away from the hustle of Pattaya. We hired a couple of scooters for the day 300 bht for the day (not sure if that's expensive). To get there, best get the ferry/boat from the pier way down the south of Pattaya (I think its the south and not north, I don't carry a compass with me), its only 20 or so bht, you can pay as much as 1,500 to get a boat from the front of Pattaya beach. Mind you, be warned, it's more expensive in Koh Larn that Pattaya.

May 4th, 2008, 08:37
Well Traveled and yes u did get ripped off for your scooter should have been 200 thb

dab69
May 4th, 2008, 12:45
south Pattaya as in walking street area/dock?

what else is there to do there ?

Dboy
May 5th, 2008, 00:38
south Pattaya as in walking street area/dock?

what else is there to do there ?

yeah you can take a boat from the pier just south of walking street for 20 baht or so...no need to get a round-trip ticket.

There are piers on both sides of the island, however the nicer beaches are on the side of the island AWAY from pattaya beach (white sand, clear water). So if you get off the boat on the NEAR side to Pattaya you'll have to take a baht bus over the hump to the far side, 10 baht, 5 minute ride.

It's like a quieter and cleaner version of Jomtien..few vendors bothering people, but there are plenty of little shops for provisions.

If you get sea sick you might not wanna go. Have seen several people hurling cookies into the sea on that boat ride.

dboy

allieb
May 5th, 2008, 01:08
A very nice place and so near yet completely different to Pattaya. Attached a couple of pics I took on my last trip

dab69
May 5th, 2008, 14:36
at what times do the *ferrys* depart/return

allieb
May 5th, 2008, 17:53
at what times do the *ferrys* depart/return

Ferry's depart all through the morning and return all through the afternoon from what I can remember, I think quite frequently I went in a speed boat with 6 others and it cost 3,000 baht and the launch and driver stayed all day until we were ready to return. Large speed boats can be rented from in front of the big hotel at the opposite end of the beach road to walking st.

BTW. Fairy's also depart and return all day

tony279760-old
May 5th, 2008, 18:04
A trip to Koh Larn is well worth the effort. Beautiful beaches, clear water and some nice eye candy.

TrongpaiExpat
May 5th, 2008, 20:00
I am not a Pattaya resident but seem to recall the ferries run from 0800 to 1800, about one an hour and take about 45min to get to the main beach for 20 Baht , forget what they call it now. There are other beaches on the island but I don't know much about them, maybe someone can advise.

Chairs cost 20 to 100 baht for the loungers. Limited food, overpriced and no towels. BYOB, a towel and some food.

Also, years ago, I used to go to Koh Link, I don't have current info on that island.

I seem to recall they banned those banana boats as well as ski jets on the island, or at least last time I was there, last month, I did not see any? Someone should know more than me about that? They have not banned Chinese tour groups but I did not see any of them, just lucky.

jinks
May 5th, 2008, 20:19
BYOB, a towel and some food.

Is that the traditional Bring your own Booze or the Thai?

Bring your own Boy hehehe

TrongpaiExpat
May 5th, 2008, 21:25
BYOB, a towel and some food.

Is that the traditional Bring your own Booze or the Thai?

Bring your own Boy hehehe

BYOB in Thailand only means 'bring your own boy(s)', booze is for sale everywhere but not boys.

Get in line quick when the ferry loads and head to the upper deck so you don't have to smell diesel fumes and feel the engine vibrations.

Hmmm
May 5th, 2008, 21:45
Details of the beaches of Koh Larn ...
http://www.kohlarn.com/beach.htm
http://www.mypattaya.com/kohlarn.asp

At the ferry landing is a small village, but nothing to do and no beach. When you get off the ferry, there are song taew waiting to go to each beach, so you need to choose then.

I've enjoyed both Tien and Samae, which are relatively quiet.

If Koh Larn was easier to get to, Pattaya beaches would be deserted.

Tawan is the main beach (ie lots of people, shops, boats). I haven't been there. It generally receives 'mixed' reports - some like it, some don't.

Don't miss the last ferry back to Pattaya !

May 5th, 2008, 21:54
booze is for sale everywhere but not boys.In my experience boys are available everywhere ... for sale is a different matter

TrongpaiExpat
May 5th, 2008, 22:15
If Koh Larn was easier to get to, Pattaya beaches would be deserted.

45 min. trip, ferry leaves often from the end of walking street and you call that hard to get to?

Brad the Impala
May 6th, 2008, 01:47
I suppose that if you live or are staying in Pattaya, Koh Larn can seem relatively unspoilt compared to Pattaya or Jomtien beaches, but there are so many much more beautiful islands and beaches to explore in Thailand. For example the Similan Islands, an hour by speedboat from Phuket.

May 6th, 2008, 18:27
... fairly quiet beach, white sand, paved pathways, a few food joints, it was excellent for a stone throw from Pattaya, there are a few b&b type places scattered around, but you would need to find them, as I say, we did hire a scooter (300 bht for the day), and food and that, and deck chairs not cheap either. Whilst it is relatively clean, well compared to Pattaya, which looks like the pits compared to Koh Larn, I did notice there were quite a few boats there, that itself is a polluting factor, I suspect they are not "green".

May 6th, 2008, 18:31
I did notice there were quite a few boats there, that itself is a polluting factor, I suspect they are not "green".

Much better than pollution of the human variety, which can often be found in Pattaya by the handful.

May 6th, 2008, 18:52
I did notice there were quite a few boats there, that itself is a polluting factor, I suspect they are not "green".

Much better than pollution of the human variety, which can often be found in Pattaya by the handful.

Let's be frank here, do you mean "shit" - I can't believe someone would shit in the water, I've never seen it, although I would never swim in the beach water at Jomtien, I have in the past but not now.

May 6th, 2008, 20:08
They do shit in the water. But most of it is pumped in via pipes. What did you figure was making the water an opaque brown color?

May 6th, 2008, 22:20
... I won't be shitting in Jomtien seawater anymore knowing that!

Brad the Impala
May 6th, 2008, 22:46
... I won't be shitting in Jomtien seawater anymore knowing that!

Was that a Freudian slip?

I thought that you liked this kind of thing, that's why BG christened you Brown Desire. Ironic that you are now complaining about it.

May 7th, 2008, 00:24
believe everything you read on this board!!

adman5000
May 7th, 2008, 09:10
Several years ago when I went to Koh Larn with a friend, we reserved seats on a private speedboat. It was more expensive, but my friend had them take us to another area on the island where as I recall there was not much more than a restaurant, chairs, and bathrooms. The boat then came back later in the day and picked us up. It was a smoother ride than the ferry. Islands don't do that much for me but it was a nice day out and not crowded where we were at.

May 9th, 2008, 05:04
whats it like to stop over night, Can u find any aircon accom

May 9th, 2008, 07:23
... probably be bored stiff. I'm sure there are places, but I noticed just b&b, huts, I don't think there are ** star hotels let alone plush ones. I wouldn't advise it anyway, probably most people come back to Pattaya as it is only 45 mins away.