PDA

View Full Version : New appointment system for US Consular, Bangkok

TrongpaiExpat
April 30th, 2008, 20:15
The US Embassy Consular Section is now offering appointments on their web site. You can still just show up and take a number.

I needed some additional pages in my passbook and also it's time for my renewal of my visa, so I needed an income letter. I logged on to the appointment site and found out that I can't make an appointment for two different things so I made two separate appointments at the same time, both for 10:15.

I arrived at about 10 and there were two people waiting so I took a number and was called in less than 2 minutes. I gave them the appointment print-out and told them what I needed and was given the forms. I filled them out, paid the fee, and was out the door before my appointment time had come up.

Passport pages takes an hour, so I left and returned at 1:00 pm. Again only a few people in the office. They were waiting for me and had my paperwork ready. I asked if it was a slow day and they said it was slow all week. I asked what's the purpose for the appointments and the lady said if you have an appointment, your not called to the window, you can just come to the window at that time and ignore the numbers on the screen. If there's a lot of people waiting, you get to cut in front of them. I wonder if that might cause some trouble.

She also said that eventually they will replace the take a number system and go with only on-line appointments.

It's also a good idea to leave your cell phone at home. They take it and give you a ticket but sometimes take forever to find it and you need to attach it to a second form of ID, like a DL. If you don't have a second ID with a photo, your SOL. They also take umbrellas and they just get piled up by the exit, find your own and leave.

The web site tell you to allow an hour inside the Consular but in all the times I have been there I have never been over 15 min. Maybe just lucky.

bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html (http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html)

April 30th, 2008, 21:13
The US Embassy Consular Section is now offering appointments on their web site. You can still just show up and take a number. That's been effect for some time - at least 6 months

The web site tell you to allow an hour inside the Consular but in all the times I have been there I have never been over 15 min. Maybe just lucky. That's for the Thais

April 30th, 2008, 21:21
He carries a New Zealand passport ("official" no less!), issued by Australia, and he's somehow an expert on the workings of the US Embassy as well. Will wonders ever cease?

The original poster here is talking about the American Citizens Services section, where American citizens are served. Getting extra pages in their passports, affidavits, and such. It has nothing to do with the place where Thais and other foreigners get their visas processed.

TrongpaiExpat
April 30th, 2008, 22:06
Singapore Sexpat been here 15 days, 94 posts, and Homi really gets under his skin: is there any doubt who 'the lad' really is? Don't tell jinks.

April 30th, 2008, 22:08
He carries a New Zealand passport ("official" no less!), issued by Australia, and he's somehow an expert on the workings of the US Embassy as well. Will wonders ever cease?

The original poster here is talking about the American Citizens Services section, where American citizens are served. Getting extra pages in their passports, affidavits, and such. It has nothing to do with the place where Thais and other foreigners get their visas processed.

...and I believe he is a self-proclaimed expert on countries of the pacific RIM ??? :cheers: :colors: :drunken:

April 30th, 2008, 22:09
Who am I supposed to be? There have always been whispers in the family that our dad was not really our dad. Some of us look suspiciously look like the close family friend we've always known as "Uncle Marty". I hope you can shed some light.

April 30th, 2008, 22:50
Who am I supposed to be? There have always been whispers in the family that our dad was not really our dad. Some of us look suspiciously look like the close family friend we've always known as "Uncle Marty". I hope you can shed some light.Not mention your mother's carrying on with the postman

April 30th, 2008, 22:52
The original poster here is talking about the American Citizens Services section, where American citizens are served. Getting extra pages in their passports, affidavits, and such. It has nothing to do with the place where Thais and other foreigners get their visas processed.He says he lives in Singapore and he's somehow an expert on the workings of the US Embassy in Bangkok as well. Will wonders ever cease? :cyclopsani:

April 30th, 2008, 22:56
The original poster here is talking about the American Citizens Services section, where American citizens are served. Getting extra pages in their passports, affidavits, and such. It has nothing to do with the place where Thais and other foreigners get their visas processed.He says he lives in Singapore and he's somehow an expert on the workings of the US Embassy in Bangkok as well. Will wonders ever cease? :cyclopsani:

I do quite a bit of business at the US Embassy in Thailand, actually. Most of it on the other side of the road from ACS, though. But, since you seem to think you know who I am, you'll know all about that already.

May 1st, 2008, 01:32
I do quite a bit of business at the US Embassy in Thailand, actually. Most of it on the other side of the road from ACS, though. But, since you seem to think you know who I am, you'll know all about that already.Indeed I do, and am now putting you on {Ignore} to join your other incarnations

May 1st, 2008, 11:29
He carries a New Zealand passport ("official" no less!), issued by Australia,

How on earth did Oz get such powers. There must've been a wizard involved.

May 1st, 2008, 11:58
Just curious Trongpai, Did they ask for supporting paperwork to fill out the proof of income? or did they just let you fillout the form as you wanted and they approved it?

TrongpaiExpat
May 1st, 2008, 13:01
Just curious Trongpai, Did they ask for supporting paperwork to fill out the proof of income? or did they just let you fillout the form as you wanted and they approved it?

Nothing, just fill in the amount, pay 1,020 B sign and they stamp/notarize it.

I keep expecting more,I come with W2's, income statements and bank records and no one wants to see it not even Immigrations, they just want that dam letter from the Embassy.

Some report that at Pattaya Immigration they let you keep the original and take a photo copy. You can use it again next year. My experience in Bangkok is that they take the original and want a new one each year.

May 1st, 2008, 20:41
Just curious Trongpai, Did they ask for supporting paperwork to fill out the proof of income? or did they just let you fill out the form as you wanted and they approved it?Others report the same sense of incredulity that the US Embassy, outpost of the fight for truth, justice and liberty, simply rubber stamps any dodgy statement its citizens care to make. However as Gone Fishing I'm sure will confirm (and probably elaborate ad nauseam) what is being notarised is the fact that you made a statement, not that the statement itself was factual

May 2nd, 2008, 08:22
Not being a US citizen, can I assume that those noble folks are so god-fearing (or just plain honest like their politicians) I put it down to American naiveity and Thai gullibility