PDA

View Full Version : Tesco and defamation suit

April 29th, 2008, 20:04
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 367127.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7367127.stm)

Tesco is suing a Thai man for defamation of the their store. According to this BBC article he allegedly made several remarks, but the one that got him into big trouble was the one where he said that 37% of Tesco's profits globally came from Thailand. According to the BBC article, he has since "taken that remark back" on that remark and said it is nearer 3.7%.

April 29th, 2008, 20:08
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7367127.stm

Tesco is suing a Thai man for defamation of the their store. According to this BBC article he allegedly made several remarks, but the one that got him into big trouble was the one where he said that 37% of Tesco's profits globally came from Thailand. According to the BBC article, he has since "taken that remark back" on that remark and said it is nearer 3.7%.He sounds as economically illiterate as many of our posters

April 29th, 2008, 21:10
All greetings...
I faith that chose the set segment of it for asking your inconceivable, if not, sorry.
I do not unundoubtedlyably many times go to the forums. And my, my inconceivable is what is:
How do you imagine how moment the conundrum of toll increases, and whether it is practical far-reaching shock,
the reality that already incident, namely: Rising stuffs tolls has transformed grub into an global partisan issue.
Riots prepare erupted in Egypt, Haiti and Bangladesh closed soaring stuffs tolls.
People fought one another closed bags of rice in West Africa.
The causes and the solutions to the subsistence critical time are complex.
Iif not finical and you make your conception on this, suit response, I am least interested to catch your theory.
See you later!
P.S. Sorry for my english.

April 30th, 2008, 00:14
All greetings...
I faith that chose the set segment of it for asking your inconceivable, if not, sorry.
I do not unundoubtedlyably many times go to the forums. And my, my inconceivable is what is:
How do you imagine how moment the conundrum of toll increases, and whether it is practical far-reaching shock,
the reality that already incident, namely: Rising stuffs tolls has transformed grub into an global partisan issue.
Riots prepare erupted in Egypt, Haiti and Bangladesh closed soaring stuffs tolls.
Iif not finical and you make your conception on this, suit response, I am least interested to catch your theory.
See you later!

Welcome wbondarmunw! Yes, the rising stuffs toll has turned the grub into a global disaster!
I am a great fan of your late President Cheddi Jagan. Do you remember when John F. Kennedy sent the CIA to burn your capital city Georgetown to the ground so Jagan couldn't get reelected in a free and open democratic society? And years later afer the USA approved despot and crook, Forbes Burnham took over until he died and Jagan was again elected President and Bill Clinton sent the same CIA dude who burned Georgetown to the ground to be America's ambassador? And poor Bill Clinton couldn't understand why President Jagan refused to accept his credentials. All reported in the New York Times here: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... ton&st=nyt (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DEEDC113FF933A05753C1A9629582 60&scp=1&sq=guyana+a+secret+in+washington&st=nyt) Hey isn't American style "democracy" fun? But tell me about the far reaching toll of the grub stuff as you see it around you today in Guyana.
Would just love to hear your theory from Guyana.

April 30th, 2008, 00:36
Tesco are perfectly entitled to pursue litigation to defend their reputation, if people are making allegedly inaccurate claims.

Am not entirely sure of the relevance for this forum, but I've endorsed it by replying & maybe others will also.

April 30th, 2008, 00:50
Tesco are perfectly entitled to pursue litigation to defend their reputation, if people are making allegedly inaccurate claims.

Am not entirely sure of the relevance for this forum, but I've endorsed it by replying & maybe others will also.

If you read the BBC article you would have discovered that the Guardian UK is also being sued by Tesco for publishing a whole series of articles about their suspected tax evasion schemes. And on top of that some English groups have taken an interest in both cases since in it they see the attempt of a powerful business to silence people who may expose wrongdoing or even simply their own opinions through litigation which will have a chilling effect on anyone informing the public of potentially crooked business practices.

Here is the excerpt that caught my attention from the BBC news report and I can only wonder if Tesco will now add the BBC to its "must sue" list:

"The Index on Censorship and other, mainly British, campaign groups which have rallied around his cause, point to what they say is a new strategy by the multinational, both in the UK and abroad.

"What you're seeing that's new is the globalisation of a chilling effect on free speech, where you've got this multinational linking up from Thailand to the UK," Jo Glanville, from the Index on Censorship, told the BBC News website.

She points to the announcement last month that Tesco is suing the UK Guardian newspaper over a series of articles which alleged the supermarket chain was avoiding tax."

April 30th, 2008, 02:37
Tax avoidance is perfectly legal.
Tax evasion is not.

Pursuing tax avoidance is a basic rule of business, or indeed personal finance.

You will find that certain people high up in the Guardian heirarchy have allegedly done just the same as Tescos. However, Tescos don't (yet) have their own newspaper to use as a tool to trash The Guradian.

April 30th, 2008, 02:51
All greetings...
See you later!

My theory: Bioenergy takes food from the mouths of the poorest, but helps get a flight to Thailand that many can afford.

Brad the Impala
April 30th, 2008, 03:49
Tax avoidance is perfectly legal.
Tax evasion is not.

Pursuing tax avoidance is a basic rule of business, or indeed personal finance.

You will find that certain people high up in the Guardian heirarchy have allegedly done just the same as Tescos. However, Tescos don't (yet) have their own newspaper to use as a tool to trash The Guradian.

You mean that certain people from the Guardian are moving their income offshore, through a web of companies and financial sleight of hand, to avoid paying corporate tax in a way that has yet to be shown as being legal or illegal? What are your sources for this allegation? Of course even if they were, according to you, it is individuals, rather than coroprate policy.

April 30th, 2008, 03:59
If Tesco practice legal tax evasion & Guardian directors do the same, that's fine by me. I'm not quite sure the Guardian is in a position to knock Tesco though.

The government have't a clue how to spend the money efficiently. Indeed they don't even seem to understand their obligation to get value for money, so the less the government spend the more efficient our economy.

April 30th, 2008, 04:09
[/quote]He sounds as economically illiterate as many of our posters[/quote]

You're jealous of me aren't you Hom!!!

April 30th, 2008, 04:27
Onto more serious matters -does anyone have any nice Rent Boy pics?

:cheers:

April 30th, 2008, 05:27
they will probably agree to disagree out of court after counter suits are filed.

April 30th, 2008, 12:10
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".
-Shakespeare, *HenryVI* (Part2)

Brad the Impala
April 30th, 2008, 12:15

That was STATEMENT ONE. After being challenged, this is STATEMENT TWO.

If Tesco practice legal tax evasion & Guardian directors do the same, that's fine by me. I'm not quite sure the Guardian is in a position to knock Tesco though.

Just confirming that you now acknowledge that you had no basis for saying that people in the hierarchy at the Guardian were "doing the same"?

April 30th, 2008, 19:34
He sounds as economically illiterate as many of our postersYou're jealous of me aren't you Hom!!![/quote]It was certainly you whom I had in mind in writing that comment. However, I regard jealousy as a rather ignoble emotion - I discourage it with the Duty Mem'sahibs particularly - don't want them spoiling my fun!

May 1st, 2008, 21:28
He sounds as economically illiterate as many of our postersYou're jealous of me aren't you Hom!!!It was certainly you whom I had in mind in writing that comment. However, I regard jealousy as a rather ignoble emotion - I discourage it with the Duty Mem'sahibs particularly - don't want them spoiling my fun![/quote]

Once again, you have "ballsed" this statement up. I'm not even going to correct it. The horse has bolted through the gate Hom. Typical of you, you're acting a bit dastardly aren't you!

Brad the Impala
May 1st, 2008, 21:35
He sounds as economically illiterate as many of our postersYou're jealous of me aren't you Hom!!!It was certainly you whom I had in mind in writing that comment. However, I regard jealousy as a rather ignoble emotion - I discourage it with the Duty Mem'sahibs particularly - don't want them spoiling my fun!

Once again, you have "balls" this statement up. I'm not even going to correct it. The horse has bolted through the gate Hom. Typical of you, you're acting a bit dastardly aren't you![/quote]

Shouldn't that be "ballsed" this statement up. Dastardly indeed, has someone else been reading Jane Austen? At last you have both found a common interest other than arseholes.

May 1st, 2008, 22:36
hehehe yep right, strangely I have never typed that word before, never had to lol - amended