PDA

View Full Version : Thai air

April 28th, 2008, 08:36
as reported earlier and by a couple of other threads a lot of airlines are putting up their prices, and agents are asking people to pay before certain dates to ensure they do not get charged higher prices. Thai have put up their London Bkk flight by ┬г30, their taxes and fees are in the region of ┬г200, which is the most expensive of all airlines, at the moment even Eva air taxes are about 140. Like always the Thais know how to run a business, by putting the prices up.

April 28th, 2008, 09:05
And their planes will still be packed. Sounds like a good business decision to me.

April 28th, 2008, 15:37
Unfortunately Thai are no longer what they used to be and have one of the oldest fleets in Asia.

Can attest to that. Have flown LHR/BKK regularly on THAI for the last dozen or so years but lately I have witnessed or suffered the results of poor maintenance or just plain old age of the interiors of several of their 747s. The last three times I flew with them there were one or more toilets unserviceable/blocked (each time), broken arm and foot rests, dirty and tattered upholstery, overhead locker doors that opened unexpectedly by themselves. If these things are becoming prevalent, one has to wonder how good the operational maintenance of their aircraft is?

Because of this (and their higher than average fares) I now fly by other airlines.

April 28th, 2008, 15:53
I thought it was sacrilegious to criticise Thai Air on this site. Their Biz food has always been below standard. There are many better options between Europe and Asia. Avoiding Theifrow is always a good option.

April 28th, 2008, 15:58
I thought it was sacrilegious to criticise Thai Air on this site. Their Biz food has always been below standard. There are many better options between Europe and Asia. Avoiding Theifrow is always a good option.

I will take ANY airline over Thai -- except perhaps on their nonstop routes to LA and New York.

Yet, their flights always seem to be full. Go figure.

April 28th, 2008, 16:57
I will take ANY airline over Thai -- except perhaps on their nonstop routes to LA and New York.
Yet, their flights always seem to be full. Go figure.
In my experience of regular twice-yearly trips from UK to SE Asia and a flight across the pond to Central America each year, long-haul flights are invariably full no matter which airline is used - I don't think this is a particular phenomenon of THAI but is maybe why THAi is also full.

April 28th, 2008, 21:25
excuse me guys, but they still have something to offer, much much more legroom in economy, that is what is the most important to me.

April 29th, 2008, 04:50
A recent survey stated that they served the worst food of any business class in the worldI can vouch for that

April 29th, 2008, 07:11
a few months ago actually, my meal was cold, it was reheated and still cold and was vile also. I complained to the stewardess, who promptly said "don't blame Thai air, your food is prepared in London"!

April 29th, 2008, 09:40
A recent survey stated that they served the worst food of any business class in the worldI can vouch for that
I'm not sure if it's system-wide, but the hot main course served in Business is identical to Economy on the NRT-BKK route.

The tray setup and its components are dumbed-down for Economy, but the exact same casserole dish and contents. The Economy F/A explained that they do that so that everybody in Business can get their first choice of main course. They take Business passenger meal orders, get the meals from Economy, and Economy gets what's left.

It's a classic example of Thai "logic," no?

April 29th, 2008, 09:55
It does sound like the only decent flight are the LA/NY to BKK flights. Those have nice new planes and the service has always been good to me. The food.. so/so. EVAs service is better, but you can't beat that non-stop flight which explains why these flights are always full.
Next December I plan on making a r/t flight from BKK to Sydney. I was going to use Thai to get the miles.. but these bad reports are scarring me. What do you guys recommend for that route?

April 29th, 2008, 10:50
I have flown SYD-BKK many times with Thai, and once with BA/Qantas.
The BA flight was crap - poor service, cramped seats, second meal was a bread roll in a cardboard box pretty much thrown on your tray. Wont be on a BA plane again if I can help it.
I have never has any drama with Thai. Sitting in an economy seat for 9 hours is never going to be fun, but always found the service good and the food quite decent. The lack of personal entertainment units in economy on the old 747-400s is a drawback, but I noticed on the Thai website that they have replaced the 747-400s with newer 777-200/300 for most of the SYD flights, so that should make the time pass more quickly.

April 29th, 2008, 13:54
In today's business section there is an article on Thai Air and some proposed cost cutting. Some things I thought interesting is that the non stop flights from LA and NY may now stop in Japan. There will carry much less water in the aircraft. In fact they admit that the toilets may run out of water on long haul flights. In addition, they will start "optimization management" of the food service. This means less or "lighter" food on board. They will strictly monitor baggage weight at 20K.

They admit that the 20,000 employees may not be efficient, but no plans to reduce this work staff to save costs. (To many government friends employed????).

No talk of improving any service. Just reducing service and charging more. This is the new business model for many companies I believe.

April 29th, 2008, 21:12
... have just announced increases on their flights.

"British Airways says it is increasing fuel surcharges on long and short haul flights from 2 May.

The airline said the charges reflected high oil prices, which hit a record on Monday just below $120 a barrel.

The surcharge for short-haul flights will increase to ┬г13 per flight from ┬г10, or to ┬г26 for a return flight.

For one-way flights of less than nine hours the charge will increase by ┬г10 to ┬г63, and by ┬г15 to ┬г79 for flights of more than nine hours."

DeHaro-old
April 29th, 2008, 21:29
I avoid BA whenever I can. From Bkk to London they are ALWAYS delayed, because they are coming from Australia.

My last flight from BKK to LHR was supposed to leave at 11 pm. Came to the counter, got a piece of paper to read: your BA flight Sydney-BKK-LHR is stuck in Sydney. Next flight TOMORROW 11 pm. Don┬┤t try to get a seat on other airlines, they are all full !! Busses to the airport hotels are waiting outside.

One more day in Bangkok, but I┬┤d better be at work.....

Shuee
April 30th, 2008, 03:15
thai air food was very nice & also when i tried to sleep i found they didnt stop bringing several refreshments throught the flight, eva you jsut get two many meal refreshments

April 30th, 2008, 05:49
If you fly economy, as I do, it is the best airline. You want brandy, severel times. I think bashing Thai is very easy. but on intertontinational they are still great, in economy

April 30th, 2008, 06:05
If you fly economy, as I do, it is the best airlineWhat other airlines have you flown in Economy with which you are comparing TG?

April 30th, 2008, 07:06
... you're gonna get some jip on making that statement ...

Diec
April 30th, 2008, 07:09
Homintern, sometimes you talk too much without having anything to say. Wait till you sober up until you post.

thanatorn-old
April 30th, 2008, 07:41
I have always flown THai except for the las t two times when I have used emirates and ethiad. These two are considerably cheaper than Thai but there really is no comparison even in economy. The two other airlines had reduced legroom, only average service and poor selection of food. As for the transit airports - well they leave much to be desired.

I have chosen to go back to Thai and pay that bit extra because I have been fortunate enough to never had a bad flight. On the next flight i am taking in a few weeks time - I upgraded to business class for the return and would normally pay the difference in airport fees/ tax for the upgrade. Thai reps in london however said "no you do not need to pay that anymore, we do not charge it in Thailand - it is only Heathrow."

April 30th, 2008, 19:48
Wait till you sober up until you post.Where's the fun in that?

May 1st, 2008, 00:46
Intercontinental I have flown economy on Austrian, Swiss, SAS, Lufthansa, Finnair and Thai. Even with the lack of entertainment on their Scandinavian-Bangkok routes, where they are using the old 747's, thumps up for Thai. The best food, the best legroom.
Comparing seat pitch, I think this link show what I have experienced

http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/seat_intro.htm

May 1st, 2008, 01:07
Clearly everyone has a different take and experience on these things which as someone has already pointed out, can even be influenced by the route and aircraft age and type etc.

I have flown various inter-continental economy class flights with KLM, Emirates, Cathay, Thai, Malaysia, Singapore, China Eastern, South African, LAN Chile, Vietnam and BA. I would rate them as follows (best to worst)

1. KLM / Singapore
2. Emirates / LAN Chile
3. Cathay / Thai
4. Vietnam / Malaysia / BA
5. South African / China Eastern

The most surprising was Cathay. My expectations were extremely high before flying with them but the experience (service, on board entertainment, age of aircraft etc) ended up way below Singapore.

May 1st, 2008, 01:38
If you fly economy, as I do, it is the best airline. You want brandy, severel times. I think bashing Thai is very easy. but on intertontinational they are still great, in economy

Intercontinental I have flown economy on Austrian, Swiss, SAS, Lufthansa, Finnair and ThaiSo in this context "best" means best of six? Was that all in the same year or so ie. are we comparing a similar product or are you comparing Thai now (with their upgraded cabins) with (say) Lufthansa from three years ago?

May 1st, 2008, 04:08

Intercontinental I have flown economy on Austrian, Swiss, SAS, Lufthansa, Finnair and ThaiSo in this context "best" means best of six? Was that all in the same year or so ie. are we comparing a similar product or are you comparing Thai now (with their upgraded cabins) with (say) Lufthansa from three years ago?

Okay I forgot Cubana :blackeye:

Yes homintern I can only speak from my own experience. The last year (as before) I have flown on Austrian, Lufthansa and Thai, being ar Star alliance junkie, and I have been flying Thai in a not upgraded cabin. Maybe the cabin is a littelbit worn out, but the best comfort was on Thai, and as I said before, the main reason was because of the legroom. No other beats it, well maybe some other Asia carriers do, but not carriers from Europe or the US. In five days I will fly on SAS to Bangkok and I am sure I will miss the extra 2 inches. It makes a big difference when you are seated 11 hours.
I am only talking about economy class, if I had flown business maybe my experiences would have been different.

Brad the Impala
May 1st, 2008, 04:20
Confirmed here that, in Economy, Thai have 2 more inches than most!

http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/seats_asia.htm (http://http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/seats_asia.htm)

May 1st, 2008, 05:26
Confirmed here that, in Economy, Thai have 2 more inches than most!Size queen!

francois
May 1st, 2008, 09:43
For those of you who wish to "size up" an airline, go to www.seatguru.com (http://www.seatguru.com)

May 13th, 2008, 08:56
That extra space is really nice to have.

bing
May 13th, 2008, 10:10
I can't speak to the freshness of the airplanes now being used, but I do recall the coral blue outfits the fight attendants wear with he neck scarf that sticks out about 6 inches. What a touch of flare. I can not think of a more attentive group of gals working hard to make the flight pleasant. My tummy oft times tells me not to eat too much of airline food, no matter what the carrier. I bring things I know I can digest. If one is considering which airline has the most caring crew, I vote for Air Thai. There, the gauntlet has been cast down. I wonder if anyone will pick it up.

May 13th, 2008, 12:04
I can't speak to the freshness of the airplanes now being used, but I do recall the coral blue outfits the fight attendants wear with he neck scarf that sticks out about 6 inches. What a touch of flare. I can not think of a more attentive group of gals working hard to make the flight pleasant. My tummy oft times tells me not to eat too much of airline food, no matter what the carrier. I bring things I know I can digest. If one is considering which airline has the most caring crew, I vote for Air Thai. There, the gauntlet has been cast down. I wonder if anyone will pick it up.

I agree that service on TG is good. The thing is, though, that service does not really matter much to me. All I want is a new plane, a comfortable seat, some decent in-seat entertainment, and to be left alone. Food doesn't matter to me either -- I bring my own.

May 13th, 2008, 15:09
My B/F and I always use Thai on there Bangkok-London rout we always travel first class (please NO slagigng) the main reasons I use Thai is there on ground service in Bangkok is second to none when departing and arriving "smooth as silk" as they say there lounge and service there is just great.
At Heathrow were fast tracked through immigration and security on the way in and out. There lounge in Heathrow is terrible its run by Scandinavian airlines I think and is after there's in Bangkok is not good. I always turn up at the last minute for the return flight to Bangkok and just go straight to the aircraft.
It also helps that the staff speak Thai which my B/F loves.
I also have a Thai Platinum American Express card that I use for every purchase possible in Thailand and oversees this gives me points or mileage "whatever they call it" which I use to buy my B/F a companion ticket for 80.000 points half the usual cost of this ticket which I think is a great bones to have.
Thai in flight food and service can be improved there in flight entertainment is very good.

So the return flight BKK-LHR-BKK for 2 costs me 197.655 Baht inclusve of tax for two pluss the 80.000 points or about ┬г3000 GBP which I think is great value for money.

May 13th, 2008, 16:09
For anyone living in the UK the price is going to keep going up - the Labour government have vowed to increase all flight taxes and charges to protect the environment.

Im flying Thai very soon - love their service.

May 13th, 2008, 16:41
My B/F and I always use Thai on there Bangkok-London rout we always travel first class (please NO slagigng) .....

now...that is a lucky Thai man who found a first class daddy. I am sure he is well-hung and well deserved the first class treatment. :bounce: