PDA

View Full Version : Which gay Thailand message board did you start posting on?

Smiles
April 26th, 2008, 22:17
" ... (BTW - By "Old Timers" I mean anyone who used to post on the old Sawatdee forum.
And anyone who used to post on Dreaded Neds is beyond description. They're older than dirt....or John McCain) ... "

Kenc's quote above in another thread got me to wondering which gay Thailand message board you first started posting on.

The choices in the poll are generally in a time frame from earliest to most new. A number of them overlap in time, and in the case of ThaiVisa, I have no idea when that started up as it is just one forum of many under the ThaiVisa message Board umbrella.

Cheers ...

Sen Yai
April 26th, 2008, 23:20
Smiles, I think Dreadedned started in '97. I'm sure I discovered it then.

Here's a little blast from the past for you: Dreadedned Q&A 1998 (http://web.archive.org/web/20000419014922/dreadedned.com/cgi-bin/qa_scene.pl)

TrongpaiExpat
April 26th, 2008, 23:21
There were a few boards to post on before Dreaded Ned. BB, AOL gay travel boards etc. I recall Dreaded Ned at first did not have a board but only a comments section. That then then grew to a discussion board.

For a short time DN, Gaybutton and Gay Pattaya all ran at the same time. There was a meeting of all three moderators in Pattaya once that is now in the annals of gay history known as the Malta II conference.

April 27th, 2008, 01:01
... Thaiguys, where I first encountered boygeenyus (as thonglor55) and X in Pattaya (then using the Thai equivalent of the number sixty-nine)

Jetsam
April 27th, 2008, 01:20
I started to post in 1999 , I think it was on the old GB forum or maybe the Dreaded Ned one, it was a forum were all the topics where on one page and the reply was just beneath the header , I miss that kind of message boards :(

dave_tf-old
April 27th, 2008, 05:29
Pattayagay (Alan's board). It's my impression that THIS board sprang more directly from that one than any of the others mentioned. Seems like I read a little of Dreaded Ned's, but don't recall having any presence there. 99% of my involvement has been with this 'strand'.

Hmmm
April 27th, 2008, 15:31
Sen Yai's link to the old DN board demonstrates - at least to my mind - that the design of Ned's board was better than anything that has come since.

You can immediately see the 'structure' of every discussion - who replied to whom and when. You could easily see where the 'hot' discussions were, and the poster names you knew weren't worth the time of day. The chronological order of posts was maintained. And all the message links you had clicked on yesterday would be coloured differently to the new ones that had been posted since then. It was much easier to figure out what was worth reading and what wasn't.

Of course with no need to register, there was no need to adopt any posting name(s) at all. I was happy to remain basically anonymous - choosing a new name for every post - until the days after the DN board's demise when I believe PG first required registration in order to post.

Others chose to establish an 'identity' from the start. Few have maintained the same identity from the beginning. For those of you who have changed names multiple times since then, care to fess up to your history of multiple personalities ? Failing that, I'm sure there is at least one sad creature amongst us who maintains a notebook documenting the evolution of the more notorious multiple personality sufferers.

Bob
April 27th, 2008, 21:30
Been there, done that, on all of the mentioned forums. Started on Dreaded Ned's forum back in (about?) 1999 and then graduated to GB's site, PG, etc. Dreaded Ned's forum was a neat format and, at least initially, had a lot of fairly adult posters that eagerly shared information. Eventually, with the advent of idiots and trolls, Ned just got sick and tired of it (much like has happened to a couple of the other forums).
It would be my guess that Sawatdee, in its present and past forms, has become the longest running "gay thailand" forum around.
I'd also guess that there are only 3-5 posters in total who have used the same handle from day one, myself being one of them. I think Geezer has used the same handle for years, the Colonel (now Homitern did), Boxer did, David In Pattaya did, and a few others.

April 28th, 2008, 01:37
Here's a little blast from the past for you: Dreadedned Q&A 1998 (http://web.archive.org/web/20000419014922/dreadedned.com/cgi-bin/qa_scene.pl)

It dun't look too outtadate to me, or, well, one part of it maybe.

TrongpaiExpat
April 28th, 2008, 01:44
Ned just got sick and tired of it (much like has happened to a couple of the other forums).

There's a little more to it than just that. Best I not say too much but it was a question of threats of liability, the Thai way.

Allen, is the one who just got fed up with the trolls and one poster who would not quit.

GB ran into a problem with the Thai censor and called it quits but many would claim he chased everyone off before that problem.

dave_tf-old
April 28th, 2008, 01:45
I've only used two handles. The present one is just a shortening of the original, done for personal reasons. I'm well aware of the existence of the infamous hydras, but I don't think everyone who's changed a nickname has done so for questionable reasons.

No doubt there is someone keeping meticulous records...and I hope there is, as all the amateur attempts at sleuthing seldom rise above the level of a Nancy Drew mystery.

April 28th, 2008, 05:48
I'm surprised that "fattmann" has not mentioned the immensely popular dragoncastle forums (http://www.dragoncastle.net/gayforum/)

April 28th, 2008, 05:50
... the immensely popular dragoncastle forumsReally?

Brad the Impala
April 28th, 2008, 23:24
Others chose to establish an 'identity' from the start. Few have maintained the same identity from the beginning. For those of you who have changed names multiple times since then, care to fess up to your history of multiple personalities ? Failing that, I'm sure there is at least one sad creature amongst us who maintains a notebook documenting the evolution of the more notorious multiple personality sufferers.

'Fessing up, I was on Dreaded Ned as "Charles" and then also on Pattayagay. At some point I created a spoof post under the title Brad the Impala, the intention being to highlight the fact that it was a spoof, ie not Vlad the Impaler, notorious blood thirsty count. Shortly afterwards a poster started posting under the name of Ronan the Barbarian, and I thought that we might be starting a trend for handles being parodies of famous names, however I think that the trend stopped there!

Anyway there didn't seem a particular reason to revert, so stuck with "Brad".

April 29th, 2008, 13:11
This one.

RonanTheBarbarian
April 29th, 2008, 23:48
Started posting on Pattayagay in the days of Dame Sanitree na Pakhan, and rows about the Iraq war, and what constituted a "gentlemen's board"

There seemed to be more laughs about the boards in those days.

Probably nostalgia on my part....

x in pattaya
February 4th, 2009, 13:17
There's a little more to it than just that. Best I not say too much but it was a question of threats of liability, the Thai way.

Allen, is the one who just got fed up with the trolls and one poster who would not quit.

GB ran into a problem with the Thai censor and called it quits but many would claim he chased everyone off before that problem.

I think I got started on GB's board and, briefly, labored under the assumption that he knew something about Thailand. The livelier "debates" seemed to occur on PattayaGay and Dreaded Ned, but one thing that could always be depending on was nearly every second week someone would start a thread on what was an acceptable tip.

Considering that it was nearly ten years ago, it's interesting to note the amounts quoted in this exchange on DN:

going rate
Posted by Eric on Saturday, 29 May 1999, at 1:16 a.m.

I don't know how to put this any other way but to simply ask....when taking a man off for a short and or long time and or even a whole day where is a good place to start with respect to remuneration? I realize it depends on what I expect by way of services but can someone shed some light on the subject. Thanks.

Posted by Tag on Sunday, 30 May 1999, at 7:38 p.m., in response to going rate, posted by Eric on Saturday, 29 May 1999, at 1:16 a.m.

I agree with Rob. For short time, 700 is very fair--especially if you throw in another 50 baht for his tuk-tuk if it's raining. For overnight, 1000 baht always gets me a big smile, even a wai! (These are hard economic times in Thailand, no matter how optimistic international economists may be about the country's recovery. And this is big baht for a kid who hasn't a chance in hell of making such easy money any other way...)

Re: going rate
Posted by Little Johnny on Monday, 31 May 1999, at 4:00 a.m., in response to Re: going rate, posted by Tag on Sunday, 30 May 1999, at 7:38 p.m.

> For overnight, 1000 baht always gets me a big smile, even a wai

From what I have heard from friends this is pushing it a bit, but everyone's milage varies as they say! 1,500 for short time has been considered unacceptable by some!!

10 years worth of inflation but it doesn't seem that the big spenders from farangland have upped the amounts by much in all that time. Makes you wonder if the complaints about the decline in "quality" of boys available compared to years past is a consequence of the sticky-shit customers or if it's the other way around.

dab69
February 4th, 2009, 13:25
doubt if i ever posted, but read gaybutton as a newbie.
still remember how he married his bf with a string ceremony
and wanted money for introducing you to a possible thai husband/bf/date

RichLB
February 4th, 2009, 14:16
I've been RichLB since the early days of Gaybutton, where I started posting, and have used the same screen name on all the boards mentiond.

Wesley
February 4th, 2009, 16:49
for me it was post 9-11, 2001 I found the Gaypattaya forum and have been on that or here ever since, although when the changeover was made I lost my original name Wes and initiation date. I remember Dreaded ned at the time but never posted there although I did look around.

Wes

x in pattaya
February 4th, 2009, 17:58
Ned just got sick and tired of it (much like has happened to a couple of the other forums).

and [GB] wanted money for introducing you to a possible thai husband/bf/date

Yes, the local real estate mafia capo didn't take kindly to someone who was making noises that undercut his business. Thus the threatened lawsuit. And someone else was pocketing some nice change for matching up boys with farang ... because it would be so difficult for a farang to find a Thai boy in Thailand. :drunken: The less charitable considered it pimping. That same individual was always threatening to write a book about gay Thailand, which I found a real hoot considering how clueless he was about all but the most superficial facts of life here.

Can't recall what name I used on Dreaded Ned or GB. I briefly used "London Laddie" on Dreaded Ned in a highly successful campaign to elevate Mr. Smiles blood pressure.

I started on PattayGay as X, but then couldn't resurrect that name/password after an absence caused by Islamic censoring so, in order to aggravate David-in-Pattaya, I changed to x-in-Pattaya. It's been about 5 or 6 years since David passed away. I guess he had a good & generous heart, but he had to be third only to GB & Hedda as an irritating poster.

bing
February 4th, 2009, 20:04
Thank goodness for Dreaded Ned. I started visiting in the early 90's and in those days the only maps of gay Bangkok I could find was in Sparticus. Not to be sneeZed at, it got me hooked up with a place to stay and the names of the bars one needed to see. It even had a code for what you could expect to find once you entered the establishment. While it was primative, Sparticus was a great resource for bangkok. The not to scale map of gay venues still has a warm place in my memory palace. Dreaded Ned and Dragon Castle were a quantum jump into better information on Thailand. It was the Sparticus add for the Ambiance Hotel that pointed me to ground zero in Pattaya, and its wonderful roof top bar of happy memory.

elephantspike
February 5th, 2009, 07:23
Dreaded Ned just weeks before it was taken down, then Pattayagay. I think I was one of the first to post on the Pattayagay thread about "What the hell happened to Dreaded Ned?" in my first posts on that board. I was using the handle "mldnathai" then (not a very catchy name, I know). I think that must have been about 6 years ago now.

If nothing else, the experience has made me a lot more tech-savvy web-wise. When I started on Pattayagay, I didn't even know how to upload an avatar. Smiles and jinks had to help me with that. Now I'm fluent in XHTML and "conversational" in php and javascript. :geek:

Smiles
February 5th, 2009, 09:09
" ... Can't recall what name I used on Dreaded Ned or GB. I briefly used "London Laddie" on Dreaded Ned in a highly successful campaign to elevate Mr. Smiles blood pressure ... "
Yes, 'Mr X-in-Pattaya' was known as simply 'X' since the 'London Laddie' debacle on Dreaded Ned, during which (for reasons I cannot remember) he referred to me as being "prissy".
For some odd reason that one REALLY HURT! Not sure why ~ for certain I've been called far worse.

But look at me and Mr X now ... regular fuck buddies! :albino:

Cheers ...

February 5th, 2009, 10:26
why isnt www.pattayapassion (http://www.pattayapassion) on this list? thats where i started.

x in pattaya
February 5th, 2009, 12:19
" ... Can't recall what name I used on Dreaded Ned or GB. I briefly used "London Laddie" on Dreaded Ned in a highly successful campaign to elevate Mr. Smiles blood pressure ... "
Yes, 'Mr X-in-Pattaya' was known as simply 'X' since the 'London Laddie' debacle on Dreaded Ned, during which (for reasons I cannot remember) he referred to me as being "prissy".
For some odd reason that one REALLY HURT! Not sure why ~ for certain I've been called far worse.

But look at me and Mr X now ... regular fuck buddies! :albino:

Cheers ...

I chose London Laddie for its geographical implications because there was someone using American(whatever) and being as Americanly obnoxious as he could be ... probably to be intentionally provocative. AmericanRick ?? American Dave?? something along those lines. And of course I was intentionally provocative as a UK-centric wanker, winding up as many as I could.

It was about that time that the Colonel was promoting a Small Dick Organization in New York, of which, I believe, he was a charter member. No I'm not making that up. Those were the days before Google became a verb, but the Colonel had all the information immediately at hand.

February 5th, 2009, 12:31
I started by reading the first Dreaded Ned. But never posted until PattayaGay which I still feel was one of the best.

By the way, how do you vote. I tried clicking on things but never saw how to vote............Why can't somethings stay the same???? Is that old age?

elephantspike
February 5th, 2009, 13:14
By the way, how do you vote. I tried clicking on things but never saw how to vote............Why can't somethings stay the same???? Is that old age?

Yes. The old age of the poll, not your old age. This thread is actually over 9 months old and was bumped yesterday. Polls are set to expire after a certain amount of time. I think that is also why Pattaya Passion isn't included. It was pretty new then, I think, and way before the second generation remake thing they are doing now.

February 5th, 2009, 14:53
why isnt http://www.pattayapassion on this list? thats where i started.
HMMMMM must be the one prissy barred from

Brad the Impala
February 6th, 2009, 23:39
Isn't Gone Fishing going to contribute to this thread?