PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Advice

hulljake
March 2nd, 2006, 23:45
I'll be in Hong Kong for a few days later this month. This will be my first visit. I'd appreciate any suggestions of where to stay, both general advice on which district (Central/Admiralty/Causeway Bay/Tsim Sha Tsui/Kowloon City) or specific (2-3*)hotel suggestions welcome.

Any advice on the gay scene (saunas/bars) also appreciated

Thanks in advance

March 5th, 2006, 14:19
HI Jake,
I've sent you a PM in case you've any more specific questions you'd like me to run past my partner, who as you know still spends about two months in HK each year. We will prolly do Christmas in HK this year.

Hotels in HK are not cheap. There is not much for the budget traveller between flop houses (called "hostels" by their organisers) and the lower end offerings you can find on Expedia. I just had a look on TotalStay at 2-3* and Anne Black (the YWCA) is the best deal and quite Central. The Newton (almost ┬г80 per night) is also Central but most in the 2-3* range are not. There are two YMCAs both quite Central you may be able to book from here at a reasonable tarrif.

As to the saunas, be aware that many of the smaller ones do not really welcome non-Chinese. They'll let you in but most customers are not at all interested in non-Chinese. They won't be unpleasant, but you will be ignored. Exceptions to this are Central Escalator, whose windows you can see from the system of open air escalators that goes from Central to the Mid-levels area. Look out for it on the right going up and get off at the next break in the escalators. The other fun place is called Game Boys in the Causeway Bay Area.

Some shopping Malls are quite cruisy but popularity of sPacific Places comes and goes. I believe that the one that houses Fitness First in Tsim Sha Tsui is still popular.

Have a nice trip.

March 5th, 2006, 19:57
For hotels, bid for a room at www.priceline.com (http://www.priceline.com) or www.priceline.co.uk (http://www.priceline.co.uk) I have used it many many times, including bids for HK hotels, and have never had any problems. I can see that someone has just sucessfully bided for a room at the 4* Eaton Hotel for just US$62+tax for stay in March.

Another good agent to book is www.airmiles.co.uk (http://www.airmiles.co.uk) If you collect airmiles or Tesco points which you can convert to airmiles ( you can also choose to pay by cash if you want ). It wants only 850 airmiles per room per night at 4* Kowloon Hotel in Shim Sha Shui with a metro station next door and a short walk to Star Ferry. I exchanged my airmiles for this hotel last November and found it very good - worth more than 850 airmiles.

As for saunas, like Northstar I recommend Central Escalator and Gameboys.

March 5th, 2006, 20:35
The Kowloon is the Penn's little brother, directly behind it and can often be found at discounted rates. When I first landed in HK we were put up in another hotel operated by the Penninsula Group. The rooms were smaller and the setting less grand but the service consistent with the flagship.

The Eaton is on Nathan Road, not far from the Newton, Temple Street Night Market, an MTR station, Cross Harbour buses etc.. If you can get a good price on it, it is a convenient place to stay.

hulljake
March 6th, 2006, 00:48
Thanks for the advice so far!

So am I best off looking to stay in the Kowloon area rather than on HK island?

March 6th, 2006, 05:14
This English Language HK Gay site (http://www.hkboys.com/modules.php?name=Sections) has some guidance but is mostly a forum for exchanging pics of clothed asian supermodels.

Most of the gay clubbing scene is above Central in Hong Kong Island. Drinking is not a big thing though and saunas and perambulation seem more popular with the locals. A healthy minority are seriously curious about foreigners (Gweilo) and in my experiece they are not very commercial. They do have fixed ideas about who they are looking for, so if you are not getting a response, move on.

For a hotel, try to get one in the areas shown on the map on the site above. You can cetainly get back by taxi late at night within that area (but you have to pay extra for the driver's tunnel return.) You don't want to be out in the New Territories where some of the "bargain" hotels seem to be.

March 6th, 2006, 15:39
IMHO, my favourite...

area to stay is Shim Sha Shui which is vibrant, lively, hectic, crowded ( I won't choose HK as a destination for a secluded, tranquil and relax holiday ), and has tons of shops.

area to eat is Central. Plenty of trendy independent restaurants and choices. Shim Sha Shui seems to have more frugal dining ( never tried, just walked past and observed ).

area to cruise ( saunas mainly ) is Central. There are some saunas in Shim Sha Shui as well, but not so popular for westerners as the Gameboy and Central Escalator in Central.

Taxi in Hong Kong ?? I have heard it's quite expensive. I have never used it. I usually go to bed before midnight. The metro that link Central and Shi Sha Shui run till midnight or later (?) I think.

I quite agree with Northstar that HK guys know what they want and stick to it. I also noticed they moved away from me quickly when I did not respond to their touch, grab and grope.