PDA

View Full Version : Songkran Victim

Captain Swing
April 19th, 2008, 15:41
I don't know why I'm posting this, maybe just to do something other than go throw up. I just received a call from my BF telling me that his cousin/roommate/best friend "die already." I don't yet know many details other than that he got drunk and (foolishly) drove his motorbike, getting into a fatal accident. I've known Manop for 8 years, meeting him a year after I first met BF, and considered him more than a friend, almost a surrogate nephew or grandson. For those with dirty minds, our relationship was always strictly Platonic. I am devastated to hear of his death, finding it difficult to believe it's true. I last spoke to him just two weeks ago, when he kept me updated on BF's illness and hospitalization. He was just 23 and worked as a waiter at the Dusit--he was never involved in the boy-bar scene. He was intelligent, kind, respectful, good natured and good hearted. I did know of one flaw--when given the opportunity he drank too much. And now he's dead. As BF said in his message, "I don't know what I can do."

Nobody can do anything, but thanks for letting me get this out.

April 19th, 2008, 16:41
Captain Swing
Very sorry to hear of your loss I don't know what can be done about the way they drive its out of all control, some statistics for you below and unfortunately its not all over yet.

360 die during 7-day Songkran celebration
(BangkokPost.com) - Road accidents took 360 lives during the "seven dangerous days" of the Songrang holidays, official figures showed on Friday.
Another 4,794 were injured in the 4,242 road accidents - 80 per cent of them involving motorcycles - counted by the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department.
The death toll was one less than last year, while the number of injured people this year is 11 less.
The number of accidents also was reduced a tiny bit, 32 less than last year.
On Thursday alone, there were 287 accidents, with 36 people killed and 310 injured.
"The most serious cause of accidents was drunk driving, which accounted for 31.6 per cent of all accidents," Wichai Kaowsurat, deputy interior minister, told a news conference.
Speeding and reckless driving also proved fatal this year, an interior ministry statement said, while nearly 80 per cent of all accidents.