PDA

View Full Version : Richard's Restaurant in BKK

April 18th, 2008, 20:30
I had to laugh, I noticed the PG report was advertising this restaurant. I went to this place on my last trip and had chicken kiev. I was asked by a falang, I assume it was Richard the owner, if my meal was ok, and I explained to him that the chicken kiev had literally garlic cloves placed in the middle of the chicken, it was **** vile (my personal opinion of course)- I didn't taste any butter, I ate the chicken around it but could still taste the foul taste of pure garlic. I know when in Rome, but surely no-one eats pure garlic in that manner and certainly not with a kiev, it should be a type of garlic butter in it. Anway, as I said I was asked if my meal was ok, I explained politely, and the reply was "was everything else ok" and that was the end. It was as if it was brushed off and swept under the carpet. He seemed to be happy that everything else was ok, but not interested in the chicken. Morale of the story: don't go there again.

thrillbill
April 18th, 2008, 20:47
About a month ago my BF and I decided to eat at Richard's (we normally eat somewhere on soi4). We waited and waited ...finally I complained to the head waiter about the slow service...finally when our meals were brought out, they were so ..."blah". And I thought Richard had this wonderful chef that use to work at Telephone bar???? - (but that was when he firstd opened). He also came over and asked about the meal and I told him that it was like I had fixed it ...nothing special, very plain. He offered my BF and I free drinks but I didn't want to have another long wait, so just left. I don't know what's up there>

April 19th, 2008, 01:03
I must admit...similar things to me, which I didnt put on the thread, we can go on and on. The way Richard's is advertised etc I thought it was going to be a brilliant place, it is well advertised i.e. seems professional to me and what they offer. But the proof is not in the pudding. One of the reasons I went there was because I saw it was advertised very well and I passed the place when I visited the club next to it and thought it would be a great place to eat and even take a friend. Anyway, we learn.

Mind you, having said that dunno if you have been to one of the restaurants in Pattaya (can't remember the name and I wouldn't name it anyway), well, the food is relatively good and I enjoy it and the staff and management always willing to bend over backwards, however, one is always asked by the manager/owner "how was your meal", understandable I suppose, if you say something which he doesn't want to hear, then he goes on the defensive and comes up with an answer which at the end of the day you don't want to hear, (well the reason the chicken was tough was because the cook boiled it in treacle and it set ... - that is an example, he didn't say that but you get the drift), all one wants is the food that one likes, a difficult tall order I know but .... Although not a problem really because there is always a place that you like certain aspects of the food and certain aspects you don't like, you have to weigh them up and decide if you want to eat there again, its personal choice. Generally though it seems to me though you get this sort of "reply" when restaurants are owned privately and one feels almost like crawling under the table when asked "how was your food". But do we feel like that if we make an alleged complaint against some of the corporate joints we visit (I won't name any big names, but you get the drift), we don't feel as guilty we just "complain".

Anyway, I'm going back to Richard's in BKK, I will stick to O'Reillys and the Telephone Bar and Sphinx.

TrongpaiExpat
April 19th, 2008, 02:00
Restaurant reviews are very personal but for me Richards just does not hit the mark on food, service or decor. I like Dick's Cafe for food, drinks and service. Sphinx is decent food but on the pricey side. Telephone, I have not been in years but last time I did not like the food at all--it may have improved. I would like to try it again but keep going back to the Balcony, good food, cute waters and decent all around.

I am still waiting for a review of the new place on Soi Twlignt, I don't know the name, opened last week, it's between Hotmale and Boy Bangkok. The decor looks nice, I checked out the menu, lots of items and reasonably priced. I have not had the chance to go yet, anyone?

There was a new Italian restaurant next to the Telephone, Milan. I wanted to try that but it seems to have closed before I got the chance.

April 19th, 2008, 06:26
OH MY GOD
People are telling the truth about @Richards

April 19th, 2008, 07:03
Funny it may be a coincidence but there is a restaurant in boyztown owned by a guy named richard and that's just as bad

fedssocr
April 19th, 2008, 07:37
it's also located in that weird dark, dank sidestreet of a sidestreet. I ate there last year. My massamun beef was kind of fatty and did take a long time to get served. I don't plan to go back. The guys at the counter seemed to be regulars though.

April 19th, 2008, 09:06
Funny it may be a coincidence but there is a restaurant in boyztown owned by a guy named richard and that's just as bad

I've got a feeling you taking the wet on this board t42. You have made other comments on this board and I bet ten to a dozen you know this restaurant very well indeed.

Whilst I have my complaints about a few things, the food isn't that bad at all. I just find it funny sometimes when one is asked how they want their potatoes. When asked for boiled or even roasted, one literally gets one large boiled potato on their plate. I'm just waiting for the day one asks for a rare steak, I'm expecting a cow on my plate.

April 19th, 2008, 09:08
it's also located in that weird dark, dank sidestreet of a sidestreet. I ate there last year. My massamun beef was kind of fatty and did take a long time to get served. I don't plan to go back. The guys at the counter seemed to be regulars though.

another one taking the wet!

TOQ
April 19th, 2008, 09:23

another one taking the wet!

I must be thick as a stump, but what is " taking the wet"

john

April 19th, 2008, 09:35
He seemed to be happy that everything else was ok, but not interested in the chickenWhen he had Telephone his French partner had the food interest. I think Richard has no interest in food at all

April 19th, 2008, 14:21
T42
I have to agree with you and its going from bad to worse.

April 19th, 2008, 14:30
Restaurant reviews are very personal but for me Richards just does not hit the mark on food, service or decor.

Food, service or decor? What about the other customers?
It's the place where the 'Grumpies' hang out. It must be the most unfriendly place in Bangkok.
I've never eaten there but went one time for a drink with two boys ... felt as welcome as a ham sandwich in a synagogue.

April 19th, 2008, 16:28
I call it the funeral home. The few times I went there I felt like I was surrounded by mummies that had come alive again. Scary place.

sjaak327
April 19th, 2008, 17:57
Richard indeed is French Canadian. I go there for a quick drink after a few hours at the Telephone, and Richard and the manager both are friendly people, always ready for a chat. Don't know about the food as I never ate there.

The staff is friendly as well.

Good place for a few drinks.

thrillbill
April 19th, 2008, 21:17
-- Yes, Richard is very friendly. Unfortunatelly the place is a "hang out" for the BKK retired folks, so you don't see too many new faces there. That is probably why it seems a bit unfriendly because there's a "groupie" there. It isn't like soi 4 that has a real mix of people. It seems like the establishment could get busy when the crowd starts hitting GOD, (serving some noodle dishes and sandwiches along with some inexpensive drinks) ; (setting more tables and chairs outside) but I don't think he has the ideas to cater to the younger crowd.

TrongpaiExpat
April 19th, 2008, 21:58
at Balcony where a couple of the owners sit at the bar and look miserable.

Yea, they do look a bit under the weather. Ever wonder why it takes so long to get the check and change. I noticed the waiter has to go to the back, get it totaled, it's recorded and then it has to be counter-signed by one of the "miserable" owners and then you get the bill and your change.

I guess that's a counter-theft procedure.

Richard indeed is French Canadian

That in it's self should be good credentials for good food, excellent food in Quebec, but I guess he's the exception. Then there's Bert of O ho's, he's Dutch, they are not well know for their cuisine but the food is excellent.

bao-bao
April 19th, 2008, 22:30
I call it the funeral home. The few times I went there I felt like I was surrounded by mummies that had come alive again. Scary place.

I had to laugh when I read asiagayboy's moniker for @Richards. If you Google "glass coffin San Francisco" you'll get a long list of references to an old gay landmark: the Twin Peaks Tavern at the corner of Market and Castro.

...although walking resolutely past The Glass Coffin was a LOT funnier when I was a twink than it is now that I've reached the ripe old age of some who frequent the place!

:cheers:

PS asiagayboy - Assuming we're of reasonably good health "mummy" isn't such a bad age to be, I'm told. If we're lucky we all get there!

April 20th, 2008, 12:58
fattman.........if you want tooooooooo die young, stay pretty your toooooooo late mate

catawampuscat
April 20th, 2008, 18:36
A group of us were planning on eating at Richards for BBQ and then this thread was read by several of the guys and
the dinner plans were shifted elsewhere..
I had eaten at Richards once before a few months ago and recall it was okay but once the bad word of mouth was
seen, no one wanted to take the chance..
We did chance to eat at Telephone Bar and it was fair but not as good as on previous visits.. Another meal at Dicks Cafe
was okay but nothing to rave about.

One positive was the new restaurant on soi Twilight called Maxies, I think and it is a very nice restaurant with a large central
bar and attractive waiters.. Food was tasty and some of the guys also really liked the outdoor area.. it is somewhat upscale
and could be a refuge from the loud aggressive nature of this soi.. well worth a visit in my humble opinion.. :cat:

April 20th, 2008, 19:35
fattman

In London there was a pub that had the nickname "The Elephants Graveyard". It was so well known they used it as one of the settings in "Nine Dead Gay Guys".

Ah, City of Quebec in Marble Arch, and it's still there. Think it is the oldest gay venue in London

April 20th, 2008, 22:11
I cannot understand what a "gay" restaurant is for. Is it because the food is gay?
I must say I go to a restaurant to eat food and I could not care less whether the atmosphere is gay, lesbian, bi or straight. As long as the food is good it does not matter.

Should I go to a gay shoeshop if I want a gay pair of shoes? :bom:

Incidentally about the City of Quebec. It has been refurbished but is still the haunt of mature men looking for young guys and vice-versa. Particularly there seem to be a good number of South Asian guys - often training to be accountants

ceejay
April 20th, 2008, 22:34
fattman

In London there was a pub that had the nickname "The Elephants Graveyard". It was so well known they used it as one of the settings in "Nine Dead Gay Guys".

Ah, City of Quebec in Marble Arch, and it's still there. Think it is the oldest gay venue in London

Good lord! is that place still there? I went in once - about 25 years ago but, believe it or not, I thought of it when I was reading this thread.

Incredibly ancient and dusty then - and that was just the customers :geek: . It was the sort of place where you get the feeling that everyone is giving you hostile glances - but I think it was just that somebody under 60 and still alive walking in there had stirred ghostly memories that something similar had once happened to them. "A crypt with beer pumps" just about sums it up.

It cannot - really cannot - be the same customers keeping the place going. If it is, then someone should give them a nudge - just to make sure.........

April 21st, 2008, 02:50
I get the feeling this thread is more about personality conflicts between the owner and certain others in the expat community.

April 21st, 2008, 11:40
At most places like Richards, it wiser to stick to Thai food. Teaching underpaid thai cooks to cook western food is probably a losing battle. Dicks seems to be the only one that can make a decent burger, but I usually order thai food there also. When in France.....

April 21st, 2008, 21:23
I get the feeling this thread is more about personality conflicts between the owner and certain others in the expat community.

that is the way it is with all subjects, once people get their head round, the subject turns to slagging people off. If we go back to the original post of cutethaiboi having some kind of problem at Richards, he was quite straight to the point and did not slag off the owner at all as such, just explained the situation.

It is an constant struggle for restaurants to act as a five star enterprise, all it takes is for one person to make a complaint, then it is "paraded" on the internet, then others start posting bad experiences and before you know it "people read between the lines" and get a picture.

I'm just baffled as to the amount of western-owned restaurants in Thailand yet the food quality is crap, it just shows the owners lack the experience and not train or show their thai counterparts how to prepare and cook western food. I also believe is not shouting my mouth off without giving an example of what I mean. If I owned a restaurant in Thailand, for example, if I were serving English Fish and Chips, it would Cod in Batter not some local fish caught, english chips using potatoes not frozen stringy chips, mushy peas, and slices of bread. I as and English person would show the cooks how to cook and prepare this food, especially the chips, surely it can't be that hard. Instead, the cooks just give you some kind of white fish, chips that are hollow, and a salad which consists in some cases of a tomato sliced up about 10 times. I mean ....

Similarly, the times I have been in a restaurant run by western people and had a meal to be supplied with either frozen peas or as I said a small salad, which consists of two lettuce leaves and a sliced tomato, so cheap and quick and not my style. To show they make effort the salad could include a small bed of lettuce with a little coleslaw, sliced beetroot, etc, and it doesnt cost that much more.

Mind you I remember going to a restaurant doing 2 for 1 in England once, and I had a chicken meal. You would have laughed, it was definately quickly cooked, chicken dumped in the middle of plate, foiled baked potato, and peas. Took 2 mins to get, it was obviously already prepared behind the scenes, gravy was dumped in a jug made from bisto I presume.

You wonder why people complain!!

thrillbill
April 21st, 2008, 22:22
At most places like Richards, it wiser to stick to Thai food. Teaching underpaid thai cooks to cook western food is probably a losing battle. Dicks seems to be the only one that can make a decent burger, but I usually order thai food there also. When in France.....

When my Thai BF and I were there, he did order Thai food...and it wasn't good. I had chicken on the skewer (which is hard to ruin) and it came with hardly any vegetables on the screwer...just a few pieces of chicken (not grilled) . My main complaint was how long it took to receive the meal though at the time there were only two other tables being waited on. I don't find it a coincidence that most people have on this thread have found the food disappointing. Who knows, maybe this will help Richard's Restaurant to improve the service and menu. I think many of us do have positive comments with Dick's Cafe service and food in 'Bangkok.

I think all of us DO eat at "regular" restaurants, but if one is in the gay section of town, why not dine in a gay restaurant where you won't get stares if you want to hold your BF's hand or flirt with the waiters... :blackeye:

TrongpaiExpat
April 21st, 2008, 22:39
WhiteDesire sounds like one of those Brits that you can take out of England but can't take .........you know how it goes. Not all farangs are "English people"

Mashed peas you say, real peas and real potatoes and genuine cod fish? I guess someplace in Thailand could give you all that but at what price? I imagine that the profit margins are quite tight in Thailand and substituting cheaper local items are the only way to keep the prices reasonable. How much are you willing to pay?

I also imagine that given your obsession with money, banking and the exchange rate that your not one given to spending willy-nilly.

Restaurant reviews are at best personal but you get certain trends and take all the posts with a few gains of salt and you have a idea of what it might be like. Still, there's no substitute for seeing and tasting for yourself.

Consistency is another Thai problem. I have ordered the same dish at the same place different night and they have been worlds apart. Maybe not the same cook, off night, I don't know.

I have learned to say in Thai suk-suk if your getting a farang meat dish at the Balcony or your getting it very under cooked.

I think all of us DO eat at "regular" restaurants, but if one is in the gay section of town, why not dine in a gay restaurant where you won't get stares if you want to hold your BF's hand or flirt with the waiters... :blackeye:

Well said Bill or just to be in gay company now and then.

Sen Yai
April 22nd, 2008, 00:37
if I were serving English Fish and Chips, it would Cod in Batter not some local fish caught, english chips using potatoes not frozen stringy chips, mushy peas, and slices of bread.

WhiteDesire, have you tried this place: Oh My Cod! (http://www.fishandchipsbangkok.com/)

And Trongpai, it's mushy peas, not mashed peas. Try Googling, or the above Restaurant for this British delicacy!

April 22nd, 2008, 03:48
... soi Twilight ... somewhat upscaleWhat a mind-boggling concept. It should completely destroy the ambience

April 22nd, 2008, 05:48
Ive known Richard ever since he had Telephone Bar and he's always been nice to me and he's still a nice guy even tho he's gotten himself some new partners for his namesake bar. For those who don't know the line up now, the personal are
Richard - he's the front man who meets, greet, chats and drinks with you.
Jim - he's the backroom boy who does all the bookwork and advertizing and stuff. He's a real neat guy nad once when I got a cough at the table he got me a glass of water and patted my back.
Lastly there is Victor who is the moneybags guy. He financed the new bar and put up the cash for the new toilet. He's had some time in the hospital and I think it was his prostate. When I had my prostate done a few years back Richard sent some guys to visit me in the hospital. So considerate.
Everone of you should try the Richards restaurant and make your own mind up. I think it's kind of neat and the staff are so nice. Once when I had a steak that I could not cut they took it back to the kitchen and brought it back in bite size pieces.
Try the Richards pasta buffets they are so nice and the other guys around all speak English

April 22nd, 2008, 08:36
The trouble with Prissy falang Queens who open Prissy falang restaurant is that they charge Prissy falang prices for basic crap.
If you look at whats on the plate shoved in front of you you can see FROZEN IN THE UK/USA/OZ imprinted on the breadcrumbs. Iv had a Chicken Kiev with the cheese still frozen in the middle. Lets face it, If your chef is so well qualified that he can't set the microwave i think you should sack him

April 22nd, 2008, 08:42
WhiteDesire sounds like one of those Brits that you can take out of England but can't take .........you know how it goes. Not all farangs are "English people" - "The majority of falang people in Thailand like home grown stuff - that is why there are so many so called "falang" restaurants - granted there are some who like Thai food, but as stated previously, I'm amazed at falang owners who can't get it right"

Mashed peas you say, real peas and real potatoes and genuine cod fish? I guess someplace in Thailand could give you all that but at what price? I imagine that the profit margins are quite tight in Thailand and substituting cheaper local items are the only way to keep the prices reasonable. How much are you willing to pay? "Simons Fish & Chips in Jomtien aint too bad, they do fish chips peas and bread butter, using Norwegian cod and reasonably priced too. There's no excuse now profit margins - everything is exportable and can be reasonably priced, in the case of Simons it is reasonably priced."

I also imagine that given your obsession with money, banking and the exchange rate that your not one given to spending willy-nilly. " I spend far too much when I'm there, more than your average guy"

Consistency is another Thai problem. I have ordered the same dish at the same place different night and they have been worlds apart. Maybe not the same cook, off night, I don't know. "This just shows the management don't give a hoot - don't visit there again is the answer"

TrongpaiExpat
April 22nd, 2008, 20:43
OK, thanks Sen Yai for the British food lesson, mushy peas it will be then, all around. I do like some British food. Thanks for the link also, I'll put that on my list of places I want to try.

I have been to Simon's in Jomtiem. I found the chips a little limp or over cooked, a bit mushy, but everything else was good.

I'm amazed at falang owners who can't get it right"

What's right for you, WD, may not be right for everyone.

Happy dining and pass the mushy's please.

April 23rd, 2008, 00:25
We have eaten at Richards on two occasions and both times had no complaints about the food. Richard was extremely welcoming and friendly unlike any other places where we never experienced any personal attention whatsoever from management or owners. Both times there was good vibe and the clientele were not exclusively old.

April 23rd, 2008, 03:51
We have eaten at Richards on two occasions and both times had no complaints about the food. Richard was extremely welcoming and friendly unlike any other places where we never experienced any personal attention whatsoever from management or owners. Both times there was good vibe and the clientele were not exclusively old.

The most important thing for me when I visit a restaurant is the food, I'm not bothered whether the staff are welcoming or not. What's the point of going to a restaurant and the staff welcome you to high hill and bend over backwards only to find the food is crap. Now that would disappoint me.

On a separate note, when I complain about food, I make sure I complain at the end of the meal and that I do not visit that place again. The reason behind this is (and it happens believe me), "they" whoever "they" are, might do something to your food if you send it back, i.e. who knows if they spit in it or whatever.

April 23rd, 2008, 04:08
The most important thing for me when I visit a restaurant is the foodLet's stop kidding ourselves - it's a bar with food. It was intended as a Balcony/Telephone clone, in that regard. It's not a restaurant. Dreaded Ned's pretty much got it right - "Friendly, relaxed atmosphere, 70's music at a volume you can talk over, good food and drinks at reasonable prices. An interesting alternative to the Soi 4 bars."

April 24th, 2008, 01:36
I believe various aspects each contribute to the overall experience. For example..... a kitchen could deliver brilliant food while the dining experience is completely screwed up by poor service or an unpleasant atmosphere. On the other hand, another establishment could serve mediocre but edible food and have great atmosphere, nice vibe, good service and customer friendliness that will cause people to keep coming back, not so much for the food in isolation but for the general experience.

April 24th, 2008, 09:58
DELETED

TrongpaiExpat
April 24th, 2008, 13:31
I recall an interview of Dave Thomas CEO of Wendy's and former exc. of KFC on Bloomberg. He was asked what is the most important thing he had learned from all his experience in the restaurant industry. He said, consistency.
How, about quality, no, not as important as consistency. The product has to be the same each time, no variations, same service and same environment. If some one is given one time some variation that was not expected, they don't come back. People are more OCD than they want to admit.

elephantspike
April 24th, 2008, 15:33
I had to laugh, I noticed the PG report was advertising this restaurant. I went to this place on my last trip and had chicken kiev. I was asked by a falang, I assume it was Richard the owner, if my meal was ok, and I explained to him that the chicken kiev had literally garlic cloves placed in the middle of the chicken, it was **** vile (my personal opinion of course)- I didn't taste any butter, I ate the chicken around it but could still taste the foul taste of pure garlic. I know when in Rome, but surely no-one eats pure garlic in that manner and certainly not with a kiev, it should be a type of garlic butter in it. Anway, as I said I was asked if my meal was ok, I explained politely, and the reply was "was everything else ok" and that was the end. It was as if it was brushed off and swept under the carpet. He seemed to be happy that everything else was ok, but not interested in the chicken. Morale of the story: don't go there again.

........Unless you like garlic.

Personally I dislike any food that does not contain garlic. To each his own.

April 25th, 2008, 08:37
As for fish and chips whitedesire, have you tried the Pig & Whistle in Pattaya? It does good F&C, not cod, but good stuff, nice chips, mushy peas and lovely homemade tartar sauce. Its the best in town for me anyway, especially as they do breaded fish also.

I love fish n chips, and went to Simons in Jomtien, will try Pig & Whistle when I'm next in town.

April 26th, 2008, 05:16
I had dinner with a friend at Sphinx last Tuesday and it was just fine, real nice but a bit pricey if you ask me, and I guess that Richards could have done the same for about one third less - but anyhow, now I'm retired, it pays me to look around and try a few different places just to make a bit of variety in my diet.
When we came out of Sphinx it was about 10.30 and that soi 4 was just full of people partying and drinking and dancing around. So much noise and crowds and waiters running everywhere. Just a horrible atmosphere for me - all these young rowdies getting drunk and fixing up with eachother. Yuk !!!
My friend left but I took a taxi up to Richards soi - Oh my what a difference. Richards had just six customers there but they were quality people. They were enjoying the ambience and the soft music and listening to Mr. Jim talk about the importance of relationships and how everyone in that soi 4 was just out to get quick sex and cheap drinks.
I stayed for an hour or so, listening to those guys and shooting the breeze with them all. It was just what I needed after all that kerfuffle in Soi 4.
You know - it's not the number of people that make a bar but the quality of the clientele. Good friends, agreeing with those you are with and quality companionship. Mr.Jim has so much consideration for his customers and so much good advice. Mr. Jim knows a thing or two, I can tell you.
That's what living in Thailand is all about.

April 26th, 2008, 05:43
... but anyhow, now I'm retired, it pays me to look around ... I took a taxi up to Richards soi ... That's what living in Thailand is all about.Yes, watching the pennies and taking taxis from Silom Soi 4 to Silom Soi 2/1

April 26th, 2008, 10:38
DELETED

April 26th, 2008, 11:03
Wilf, I love your very understated and funny sense of sarcasm. Yes, Mr Jim knows a thing or two. Hahahaha.

TrongpaiExpat
April 26th, 2008, 14:05
Wilf: I could hear that music Nurse Rachett played on the Victrola at medication time in the movie 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' :compress:

The best part is how the whole post went over Homi's head who might actually have to take a taxi from soi 4 to soi 2.

http://www.victor-victrola.com/LOGO.jpg

MiniMee
April 26th, 2008, 14:29
I had dinner with a friend at Sphinx last Tuesday and it was just fine, real nice but a bit pricey if you ask me, and I guess that Richards could have done the same for about one third less - but anyhow, now I'm retired, it pays me to look around and try a few different places just to make a bit of variety in my diet.
When we came out of Sphinx it was about 10.30 and that soi 4 was just full of people partying and drinking and dancing around. So much noise and crowds and waiters running everywhere. Just a horrible atmosphere for me - all these young rowdies getting drunk and fixing up with eachother. Yuk !!!
My friend left but I took a taxi up to Richards soi - Oh my what a difference. Richards had just six customers there but they were quality people. They were enjoying the ambience and the soft music and listening to Mr. Jim talk about the importance of relationships and how everyone in that soi 4 was just out to get quick sex and cheap drinks.
I stayed for an hour or so, listening to those guys and shooting the breeze with them all. It was just what I needed after all that kerfuffle in Soi 4.
You know - it's not the number of people that make a bar but the quality of the clientele. Good friends, agreeing with those you are with and quality companionship. Mr.Jim has so much consideration for his customers and so much good advice. Mr. Jim knows a thing or two, I can tell you.
That's what living in Thailand is all about.

Soi 4 was full and @Richards only had 6 people in it! And that is a recommendation??? Sounds to me like Soi 4 has it right and @Richards doesn't.

LOL. John, did you even hear the whooosh! ?

thrillbill
April 26th, 2008, 17:52
Wilf says: When we came out of Sphinx it was about 10.30 and that soi 4 was just full of people partying and drinking and dancing around. So much noise and crowds and waiters running everywhere. Just a horrible atmosphere for me - all these young rowdies getting drunk and fixing up with eachother. Yuk !!!
************************************************** *****************************
Gee, maybe that is why I like soi 4 so much, I'm one of those "YUK" people...

Wilf, the next time you don't want to fight the night shopping crowds when you want to walk three blocks to soi 2.5 (known Soi Freemans or G.O.D.), save yourself some taxi money (which could be spent towards a drink at Richards) and walk (or waddle) along the edge of Silom behind the street vendors...it is like taking the expressway.

TrongpaiExpat
April 26th, 2008, 19:21
Looks like Milan, that Italian restaurant next to Telephone is closed for good. There's a sign now for a new Greek restaurant, opening soon, at that location. I never got the chance to try Milan's, it was not open long.

Speaking of dancing on the street, Balcony is having their 10th Anniversary
6 May 2008. The waiters dancers are so bad, it's fun to watch. They seem to have a lot of fun trying to dance.

www.balconypub.com/showevent.html/event=080506 (http://www.balconypub.com/showevent.html/event=080506)

April 26th, 2008, 20:25
... walk three blocks to soi 2.5 Leave the waddling to me, thrillbill - it's my specialty -just ask George ("Call me Oscar"). However ... three blocks. Let me think. I've always counted a block as main roads, but let's be generous here. Soi 4 to Thaniya St is one block, and Thaniya St to Soi 2/1 is another block, so the third block would be ... ?

April 26th, 2008, 20:29
... walk three blocks to soi 2.5 Leave the waddling to me, thrillbill - it's my specialty -just ask George ("Call me Oscar"). However ... three blocks. Let me think. I've always counted a block as main roads, but let's be generous here. Soi 4 to Thaniya St is one block, and Thaniya St to Soi 2/1 is another block, so the third block would be ... ?

The one sitting on top of your shoulders, maybe?

April 27th, 2008, 01:03
The one sitting on top of your shoulders, maybe?Undoubtedly the one with the second of my two faces

thrillbill
April 27th, 2008, 01:06
Seems to me you cross two streets/ sois before reaching soi 2.5 from soi 4 but maybe you don't notice because of all the fun you've had on soi 4!

Diec
April 27th, 2008, 01:44
Richard is a very good friend of mine. I find his food delicious and expertly prepared. What many do not know is that he gives a senior citizen discount to his loyal customers. Great food at a great price is what always brings me back.

April 27th, 2008, 01:50
Seems to me you cross two streets/ sois before reaching soi 2.5 from soi 4 but maybe you don't notice because of all the fun you've had on soi 4!I cross one street - Thaniya. Sois (alleys) don't count as streets when counting blocks IMO (and of course blocks is an American concept to start with, not a worldwide convention). I count everything from Naratiwas to either Convent (on one side of Silom) or Thaniya (on the other side) as one block, and from Convent or Thaniya to Rama 4 as another block, although I guess there's an argument for counting Naratiwas to Pipat (a wide Soi) as one block and Pipat to Convent as another block

Great food at a great price is what always brings me back.Someone else who has no idea what constitutes "great food". As for the "senior" discount, all of those places offer a standard 10% discount to regular customers, although often you need the appropriate "loyalty" card. I carry the Utopia one as it's recognised in so many places

thrillbill
April 27th, 2008, 09:54
. Sois (alleys) don't count as streets when counting blocks IMO (and of course blocks is an American concept to start with, not a worldwide convention). I count everything from Naratiwas to either Convent (on one side of Silom) or Thaniya (on the other side) as one block, and from Convent or Thaniya to Rama 4 as another block, although I guess there's an argument for counting Naratiwas to Pipat (a wide Soi) as one block and Pipat to Convent as another block

GIVE ME A BREAK... If you look at some of the Bangkok maps and they use the word "soi" (such has soi Freeman/ or 2 1/2) not your word: alley. And to many of us, the term street is sometimes loosely used to refer a passageway that is paved (tarmac) not necessarily a thoroughfare.

(I'm glad I have more time on my hands than looking at everyones post with a magnifying glass!)

TrongpaiExpat
April 27th, 2008, 13:23
Forget how may blocks, how many waddles is that between soi 4 and 2?

Went to Maxis last night on soi Twilight. Very nice place, maybe too nice for soi prostitute, good food and good service. Quite a few customers, everyone trying out the new guy on the block. At 8:30 all the tables were filled.

April 27th, 2008, 21:02
If you look at some of the Bangkok maps and they use the word "soi" (such has soi Freeman/ or 2 1/2) not your word: alley.Yes, lane or side-street rather than alley - but definitely not street. Perhaps if you learnt some Thai you'd be better off - in the meantime here's Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soi

Forget how may blocks, how many waddles is that between soi 4 and 2?69?

May 3rd, 2008, 04:38

You guys start making criticisms without know all the facts. I was talking tonite with Richard himself at his wonedrful buffet about what goes on with this message baord.
What you guys don't know is that Richard's cook is going thro her menopause and can you imagine what that does to her ability to cook properly??? Her hormones must be in turmoil and you guys can't understand that? What can she be thinking when she cooks an egg? Maybe she don't make eggs herself any more?
Come on you guys - give her a break.

May 3rd, 2008, 05:39

You guys start making criticisms without know all the facts. I was talking tonite with Richard himself at his wonedrful buffet about what goes on with this message baord.
What you guys don't know is that Richard's cook is going thro her menopause and can you imagine what that does to her ability to cook properly??? Her hormones must be in turmoil and you guys can't understand that? What can she be thinking when she cooks an egg? Maybe she don't make eggs herself any more?

Please tll me this is subtle satire. Paying customers should accept incompetance if the cook is moody? You know in my country we a re famous for not complaining. That doesn't mean we actually "accept" poor service it's just that we don't see it as our role to provide a training facility for poor service and management.

The first poster's point is that if the manager has got to first base asking about customer satisfaction, he needs to get to second base remedying dissatisfaction when he finds it.

May 3rd, 2008, 12:40

Sorry, but I'm a bit of a novice on the role of menstrual juices in cuisine.
Do they enhance flavour or does the lack of them make everything "wonedrful" ?