PDA

View Full Version : Thai Air

April 17th, 2008, 00:59
Thai Air from 24 April are increasing their taxes for flights, according to my travel agent. From London to BKK will be an extra ┬г30, has anyone heard of this also. It could be an increase for fuel surcharges, who knows.

April 17th, 2008, 01:43
And the ┬г23 rise in airport tax at heathrow

April 17th, 2008, 02:55
... when did that come in?

April 17th, 2008, 04:49
I don't know if it's in as yet but it was announced a couple of weeks ago by BAA

April 17th, 2008, 14:01
Yes gentlemen travel is getting more and more expensive for the have not's. I read that Singapore Airlines are to start a business class only service to North America with a view to phasing out economy, its hoped for many travelers that this will not be an ongoing trend with other airlines

April 17th, 2008, 14:01
Yes gentlemen travel is getting more and more expensive for the have not's. I read that Singapore Airlines are to start a business class only service to North America with a view to phasing out economy, its hoped for many travelers that this will not be an ongoing trend with other airlines

April 17th, 2008, 14:43
yes, fatman, you are correct--it was in the Los Angeles Times that Singapore was considering seriously having a business class only flight once or twice a week from LA to Singapore--cost for RT approx $8000--but certainly no plans whatsoever to phase out economy/coach seats on other flights

April 17th, 2008, 16:30
Did they explain why they thought this would be an advantage?

I find that flying Eva business class RT for $2400 -$2700 LAX - BKK is very comfortable. I sleep after dinner from LAX - Taipei. Take a shower in the first class lounge and then arrive 3 hours later very refreshed into BKK.

April 17th, 2008, 17:16
Fatman your wrong about economy being the bread and butter to airlines, I think If you were to ask any airline that has the 2 or 3 class system they would tell you that the first and business class are what is subsidizing the economy class.

April 17th, 2008, 17:32
New tax to push up cost of Dutch flights

Flights from the Netherlands will become more expensive from July 1 when an тАЬenvironmentalтАЭ tax comes into effect.

The Dutch government stands to make тВм350 million a year from this new departure tax. It means each passenger departing Amsterdam Schiphol or Rotterdam will have to pay a tax of тВм11, while those flying long-haul (a distance of 2,500km or more) must find тВм45.

This tax will apply to passengers flying to and from Holland, so it will apply equally to travellers booking return flights, say, from Amsterdam to London, as well as London to Amsterdam.

It will add about 8 per cent to the cost of KLMтАЩs cheapest day-return price between Heathrow and Amsterdam. According to klm.com, the cheapest day-trip fare for travel on Monday June 30 is ┬г146. But if a passenger books the same flight on or after Tuesday July 1, the price increases to ┬г157.

However, passengers who change planes in Amsterdam for onward destinations will escape the tax. This is important for national airline KLM because its business model is built around flying passengers via, rather than to and from, Amsterdam and the tax would have made its prices less competitive.

The departure tax had been opposed by Schiphol airport and ANVR (the association of Dutch travel agents), but a court in The Hague recently upheld the governmentтАЩs tax, paving the way for it to take effect from July.

The Association of European Airlines (AEA) dismissed the Dutch governmentтАЩs claims that there is a green motive behind the tax. An AEA spokesperson said: тАЬThis is a money-raising measure masquerading as an environmental tax.тАЭ

The AEA also believes that some passengers might choose to avoid the tax by departing from airports in neighbouring countries. For example, travellers living or working near the border areas might find Antwerp, Brussels and Dusseldorf as convenient as Rotterdam or Amsterdam Schiphol.

Marsilius
April 17th, 2008, 22:01
I have just had a phone call from my travel agent. I'd booked EVA flights in December on the basis of a deposit now and the rest due 10 weeks before departure - but EVA now say that they want payment in full by 24 April or else the cost goes up by ┬г275 per person.

This seems to be a growing trend. Etihad did the same to me last year.

jinks
April 18th, 2008, 00:08
This seems to be a growing trend. Etihad did the same to me last year.

Emirates do it to me every year.

I did find a loop hole in their pricing.

I booked one night in Dubai on the way back.
Adding this stop-over made my booking a "package" and the price was ┬г 200.00 LESS than last year without the hotel.

April 18th, 2008, 00:18
the article i read in the LA Times about Singapore's consideration of the once or twice a week all business class flights simply said they thought the demand was there for such flights--also, if any of you have seen the new Singapore business class seats--they have them in some new aircraft already and are retrofitting other aircraft on certain popular routes are the largest/superwide, etc--they were running many ads in newspapers and magazines displaying the new seats and also in the inflight magazine, and on their website--$8000 was the approx price mentioned for RT LAX to Singapore, but one might be able to get cheaper (if and when they actually start the flights) via consolidator, but I have not found, over the years, the Singapore offers many discounts.

April 18th, 2008, 07:55
Better than 12-Go and never come back.

April 18th, 2008, 09:48
Singapore airlines is converting their A340-500 long range aircraft (the same plane Thai uses for non-stop flights from NY/LA to BKK) to all business class on this non-stop flight to Singapore. There will still be economy flights from LA/NY to Singapore, but they will not be non-stop.

Pattaya male.. you have to tell me where you are finding EVA Business class seats from LA/BKK for $2700? EVA website price is $4,200. About the same as Thai. Economy deluxe on EVA is around $2000 (also the same as thai).

April 18th, 2008, 10:23
The price I quoted was the fare I paid in May of 2007. Yes it was one of the specail fares they some times promote. I should have made it clear that the fare was a year old. Eva often has special fares in April and May. Checking now, even the specia fares are in excess of $3000!

I am surprised that even the special fares have increased so much over a years period. Having checked the comments on Skytrax about Thai Air International Premium Economy, sounds like a great deal!

April 19th, 2008, 01:15
I have just had a phone call from my travel agent. I'd booked EVA flights in December on the basis of a deposit now and the rest due 10 weeks before departure - but EVA now say that they want payment in full by 24 April or else the cost goes up by ┬г275 per person.

This is exactly what my travel agent said, pay for your flights before 24 April or they will be ┬г30 ish more. So it looks as if prices are going up all round, although dunno how the ┬г275 is coming into it, how come it is 275 more?? Where you flying (around the word).

jinks
April 19th, 2008, 01:45
how come it is 275 more?? Where you flying (around the word).

The answer is in every post after JJdeed if you care to read it again.

No I'll not tax your brain..... Business Class.

Up as a surcharge mine down to ┬г 2100 because it's now a package.

Mine is also paid now so that they can't put it up.

April 19th, 2008, 05:19
I have been checking for awhile for my December trip.
The best price for premium economy from New your to Bangkok was almost $2000 on Thai
The price for business class is $ 5930.47
I found a travel agent that deals only in business and first class travel.
I booked my trip business class no stop for $3250
I know that is a ridicules but for the no stop and i am tall i just cant do 17 hours in economy
The deluxe seats aren't bad but still not to comfortable for some one tall like me
I am heading out next week for a month in the land of smiles.
I am probably going to change my plans from going 3 times a year for about 3 weeks each time , to twice a year for a month and save the airfares.
This next trip i am using my miles but they are killing me on that too .
The old miles was 90000 for business's now they have put Thailand in a different zone or code this trip its 120000.
So i don't think i will be making my August trip this year.

thrillbill
April 19th, 2008, 12:39
Starting April 21 Air Asia will charge 30baht for each checked in bag... "Handling Charge" they call it.

I got a chuckle looking at an Air Asia sign informing their passengers about the new charge..."Introducing a 30 baht handling charge starting April 21...." --Sounded like some privilege for their customers.

Interesting to note: When I flew out of Phuket to BKK over the weekend (with Air Asia) , there were passengers with all kinds of huge backpacks being carried on board, so the flight attendants must not enforce their carry on rules like they do with the bags one checks in at the counter.

Marsilius
April 19th, 2008, 12:59

This is exactly what my travel agent said, pay for your flights before 24 April or they will be ┬г30 ish more. So it looks as if prices are going up all round, although dunno how the ┬г275 is coming into it, how come it is 275 more?? Where you flying (around the word).

Yes, according to the travel agent the cost of the EVA enhanced-economy-class (forget what they call it now - used to be Economy Deluxe) return fare - just from Heathrow to Bangkok and back in December/January - will be going up by ┬г275 per person from the ┬г847 (not including taxes) that was originally quoted.

Needless to say, I'm off to the travel agent today to pay the old fare 100% in advance and so avoid that outrageous hike!

April 19th, 2008, 14:07

EvaAir are applying the increase in government tax up from ┬г80 to ┬г160 px (Business) as well as the increase in landing fees at LHR - up 20% , along with the fuel surcharges that all airlines are suffering wherever they are flying from the ┬г270 can be easily explained.

As someone who flies EVA BK/LHR return every month I always pay for our flights on booking to avoid future prices hikes, as we book and pay for flights 11 months in advance of travel this cushions the rising cost of travel.

I have checked the ticket price that we have for the December and January BK/LHR return flights in Premium Laurel and the December price is ┬г1567 and the January ┬г 1532

It is easy to find cheaper flights with other carriers but most of them are not non-stop which is one of EVA's attractions.

bao-bao
April 19th, 2008, 23:16
I think Naughty But Nice has the right idea. Often times it pays to book and lock in your fares in advance. It's the rare item that actually comes down in price.

I can share a few things I've learned from SGT and other research for the newer members, if they're interested:

1) Shop around. Try a few of the comparative sites (i.e. Kayak or Sidestep - a tip of the hat to Smiles for the Kayak idea)

2) Be flexible about your departure and return dates. The last time I made a reservation the difference in pricing was almost a thousand USD less to fly from the US to BKK on a Thursday instead of a Friday. Play around with the selections - it's worth the time.

3) In the case of EVA (my airline of choice) join their flyer's club. It's free, plus you get email notices and member specials.

4) Don't forget to check the airline's OWN site, also. Sometimes the cheapest tickets are offered directly from them.

5) Try several travel agencies. Different agencies have different promotions and blocks of seats reserved.

6) If scheduling a trip is not a concern there are sometimes "last minute" fares available, but so far I've never been able to just pick up and go within a couple of days. Maybe some day!